X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXX

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
    So, FS 23: do you think the UND players regret not "touching" (i.e., celebrating) the MacNaughton? I ask that seriously. It seems like this idea of "national championship or nothing" can backfire on you. There are no guarantees of national championships, no matter how good you are, no matter how focused you are on the prize. I think it's silly not to enjoy the other fruits of your labor along the way. Frattin, for example, is left Hobey-less, NCAA championship-less, and didn't get to celebrate his successes along the way. This is a message to the young people out there. We now return you to your regular programming.
    I have wondered the same thing.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      I have wondered the same thing.
      Agreed 100%. Really a shame if you ask me.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

UMD didn't touch any of their trophies during the year and look what happened to them!
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

So, FS 23: do you think the UND players regret not "touching" (i.e., celebrating) the MacNaughton? I ask that seriously. It seems like this idea of "national championship or nothing" can backfire on you. There are no guarantees of national championships, no matter how good you are, no matter how focused you are on the prize. I think it's silly not to enjoy the other fruits of your labor along the way. Frattin, for example, is left Hobey-less, NCAA championship-less, and didn't get to celebrate his successes along the way. This is a message to the young people out there. We now return you to your regular programming.
          I don't feel as though the players regret not touching the Broadmoor and MacNaughton. They still definitely enjoyed and celebrated the championships, and to say that they didn't is silly. As I said after the game Thursday, they can now go touch the Broadmoor and MacNaughton all they want. It was a team unifying thing that the Seniors wanted to do. It was fun, but ultimately didn't get the one trophy that wanted. I don't know why people made such a big deal about that whole thing anyway. Like I said, they definitely celebrated and enjoyed the championships...the only thing they didn't do was touch them.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            I don't feel as though the players regret not touching the Broadmoor and MacNaughton. They still definitely enjoyed and celebrated the championships, and to say that they didn't is silly. As I said after the game Thursday, they can now go touch the Broadmoor and MacNaughton all they want. It was a team unifying thing that the Seniors wanted to do. It was fun, but ultimately didn't get the one trophy that wanted. I don't know why people made such a big deal about that whole thing anyway. Like I said, they definitely celebrated and enjoyed the championships...the only thing they didn't do was touch them.
            Cool. I wasn't aware that they did celebrate.

I just don't like when players and fans imply that league and playoff championships are chump change. THEY ARE NOT! They hang meaningful banners for those, too.

Team unifying stuff is overrated--it only really works for one team each year. The rest of the teams just end up with stupid haircuts or annoying facial hair for a couple weeks, with nothing to show for it. This is lesson two for the day. I'm on a roll.

Comment

Cool. I wasn't aware that they did celebrate.

I just don't like when players and fans imply that league and playoff championships are chump change. THEY ARE NOT! They hang meaningful banners for those, too.

Team unifying stuff is overrated--it only really works for one team each year. The rest of the teams just end up with stupid haircuts or annoying facial hair for a couple weeks, with nothing to show for it. This is lesson two for the day. I'm on a roll.
              Team unifying stuff is definitely overrated, but they are college kids and it is fun to see them do these sort of things. You just don't see it happen often in pro sports. Given that, if North Dakota is good enough to win a MacNaughton or Broadmoor next year, I would almost guarantee that they will touch it.

Conference Trophies are nice, but they are not a National Title. North Dakota doesn't raise banners for Broadmoors, only MacNaughtons and National Titles. They have a banner sort of hiding that has years that they won the Broadmoor (more accurately, WCHA Tournament Titles)...but when I was there this year they hadn't even put the 2010 title on there. Added to this, it's been too long since our last title (I know, I shouldn't bring this up to DU fans who waited 35 years prior to '04). We've been good (4 MacNaughtons, 3 Broadmoors, 10 NCAA trips and 6 Frozen Fours), but have yet to win it all. If you add that all up, that's why we don't get too wrapped up in Conference Trophies. What's funny is people ripped on North Dakota for how much they celebrated in '09 when we won the MacNaughton...
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FYI - 5 of the players that played for the Leafs the other night were former WCHA players: Kessel, Bozak, Colborne, Crabb & Frattin. That is 25% of the roster.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  Team unifying stuff is definitely overrated, but they are college kids and it is fun to see them do these sort of things. You just don't see it happen often in pro sports. Given that, if North Dakota is good enough to win a MacNaughton or Broadmoor next year, I would almost guarantee that they will touch it.

Conference Trophies are nice, but they are not a National Title. North Dakota doesn't raise banners for Broadmoors, only MacNaughtons and National Titles. They have a banner sort of hiding that has years that they won the Broadmoor (more accurately, WCHA Tournament Titles)...but when I was there this year they hadn't even put the 2010 title on there. Added to this, it's been too long since our last title (I know, I shouldn't bring this up to DU fans who waited 35 years prior to '04). We've been good (4 MacNaughtons, 3 Broadmoors, 10 NCAA trips and 6 Frozen Fours), but have yet to win it all. If you add that all up, that's why we don't get too wrapped up in Conference Trophies. What's funny is people ripped on North Dakota for how much they celebrated in '09 when we won the MacNaughton...
                  DU also just has one combined banner for all of their WCHA regular season championships, and one combined banner for all of their WCHA playoff championships. Seems like UND and DU have a different approach than our neighbors down south, with all of their participation banners.

I wasn't aware of the "excessive" 09 celebration. I suppose the shifting tides of celebrations from year to year, are also due to the coach's recent history. If one "celebration approach" didn't lead to a championship in 2009, a coach may take the opposite approach in 2010, to see if that works better.

But in the end, national championships can be determined by a lucky bounce, a skate in the crease, and the "best laid plans of mice and men" can be derailed by a good lockdown defense or a goalie standing on his head in the Frozen Four. Enjoy the accomplishments along the way, I say. (I know...easier said than done, if you are 0-for-the-last-six-FF-appearances.)
                  Last edited by Pablo; 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

DU also just has one combined banner for all of their WCHA regular season championships, and one combined banner for all of their WCHA playoff championships. Seems like UND and DU have a different approach than our neighbors down south, with all of their participation banners.

I wasn't aware of the "excessive" 09 celebration. I suppose the shifting tides of celebrations from year to year, are also due to the coach's recent history. If one "celebration approach" didn't lead to a championship in 2009, a coach may take the opposite approach in 2010, to see if that works better.

But in the end, national championships can be determined by a lucky bounce, a skate in the crease, and the "best laid plans of mice and men" can be derailed by a good lockdown defense or a goalie standing on his head in the Frozen Four. Enjoy the accomplishments along the way, I say. (I know...easier said than done, if you are 0-for-the-last-six-FF-appearances.)
                    Hey dude, smoke em if you got em.

Is there going to be a collective off-season DU / UND fan circle jerk? Can Red come too? You can all hug and talk about how your teams (just like almost everyone elses) didn’t accomplish jack this season. You can all agree on how little league season championships and league playoff championships mean. Maybe even punch holes in walls? Your call…

CC fans are more humble and proud of what little we have. We live by this simple motto “just working with the scraps you was given, and mama made miracles every thanksgiving”

Can I tag along and at least eat the biscuit?
                    Originally posted by vizoroo
                    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                    Originally posted by duper
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                    Originally posted by dggoddard
                    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                      Hey dude, smoke em if you got em.
                      CC fans are more humble and proud of what little we have. We live by this simple motto “just working with the scraps you was given, and mama made miracles every thanksgiving”
                      Oh right, scraps like Jaden Shwartz, Marty Sertich, Peter Senja. Yeah, I don't know how you guys have managed with players like these.
                      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                        Oh right, scraps like Jaden Shwartz, Marty Sertich, Peter Senja. Yeah, I don't know how you guys have managed with players like these.
                        That would be Schwartz and Sejna.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                          Throw in some more scraps like Palazarri, Delich and Mio.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                            That would be Schwartz and Sejna.
                            I knew it, I was just too lazy to look up the spelling!!
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

DU ended up #7 in both the USCHO and USA Today final season polls.

Not bad for a rebuilding year.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Forgive me if this is already out there but two sources have confirmed to me that Denver recruit Garrett Allen does not plan to go to Denver any more. I'm told that he instead will be going to Concordia College in Moorhead, MN.

Comment

Working...
                                X