And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

For DU I just want to get 1st or 2nd place to avoid playing the extra game in St. Paul. If we win the MacNaughton that would be great but the big prize is in April. DU has 12 MacNaughtons so its not like we haven't won them before. It is probably the hardest trophy to win due to the long grind of the WCHA schedule. I want the DU team to be healthy and playing well for a long playoff run this year. The last few seasons have been disappointing with regards to playoff success. No one rembers the next year who won the MacNaughton or Broadmoor but everyone remembers who won the NCAA title.

Personally I don't think the MacNaughton will be decided until the last weekend of the regular season.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      For seeding purposes, remember that North Dakota will most likely hold the tiebreakers over Duluth and Denver, but lose the tiebreaker to UNO.
      I'm not sure you're right about this, unless they've changed the tiebreaker rules.

We split the season series with each team. Thus, in a heads up tiebreaker scenario, WCHA wins will prevail. Since we currently have no ties, we'd likely win all the tiebreakers with these three teams, individually, unless we go on a sister-kissing spree these last 3 weeks.

We could potentially lose a multi-team tiebreaker scenario depending upon the outcomes of the DU-UNO and UMD-UNO series yet to be played.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I'm not sure you're right about this, unless they've changed the tiebreaker rules.

We split the season series with each team. Thus, in a heads up tiebreaker scenario, WCHA wins will prevail. Since we currently have no ties, we'd likely win all the tiebreakers with these three teams, individually, unless we go on a sister-kissing spree these last 3 weeks.

We could potentially lose a multi-team tiebreaker scenario depending upon the outcomes of the DU-UNO and UMD-UNO series yet to be played.
        You are right. I thought that series goals allowed (if they played a 4 game series) was used before conference wins, but conference wins comes before.

Here are last year's tiebreak rules

WCHA Tie-Breaking Procedures (for playoff seeding purposes only)

In the event that ties are encountered in the determination of WCHA
        ranking or designation of home teams for playoff purposes, the following
        procedures will be used in the order given to break the ties:

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the
        regular (conference) season will be used to break the tie.

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the
        team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during the regular season.

c) If two or more teams played a four-game series during the regular
        season and the teams have the same win-loss records for those series and
        the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least number of goals
        scored against it in the four-game series shall have the higher rank. If two or
        more teams played a two-game series during the regular season, procede
        to tie-breaker d).

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a),
        (b) and (c), the team having the greatest ‘winning margin’ during the regular
        season will have the higher rank. Winning margin = WCHA goals for during
        the regular season minus WCHA goals against.

e) Games played against WCHA opponents in holiday tournaments will
        not be counted in the determinations.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Tech should be four points for DU or UND, regardless of where the game is played.
          Yeah but...
          huskyfan: Gwoz = Tyler Hirsch of coaching
          Facebook group for Dirty's Blog! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75090973064

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            After this weekend, DU will be in first place, and will be the only team controlling their own destiny.
            No one saw that MTU win happening this weekend.
            UND now holds a 2pt lead over DU and a 3pt lead over UMD...and a 3 or 5pt lead on UNO, depending on how the UAA/UNO game goes.
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
              No one saw that MTU win happening this weekend.
              UND now holds a 2pt lead over DU and a 3pt lead over UMD...and a 3 or 5pt lead on UNO, depending on how the UAA/UNO game goes.
              At this point, with the remaining schedules, the MacNaughton is UND's to lose. They could still manage that, but it should be making its way back to Grand Forks.
              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

I have a question regarding the WCHA playoffs.

They have traditionally "re-seeded" after the first round, which occasionally permitted the 4th or 5th place finisher to sneak up and out of the Thursday play-in game.

I assume they are again re-seeding after the first round this year.

Are they also re-seeding after the two Thursday games? In other words, if #6 should knock off #3 Thursday, does the #2 seed get to play #6, and #1 the winner of the #4/5 game, or would the the semi's also be re-seeded?
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

[QUOTE=SJHovey;5045800]I have a question regarding the WCHA playoffs.

They have traditionally "re-seeded" after the first round, which occasionally permitted the 4th or 5th place finisher to sneak up and out of the Thursday play-in game.

I assume they are again re-seeding after the first round this year.

this is how it works, their is only re-seeding after the first round of playoffs, for ex: if the 8 seed beats the 4, and everyone else holds serve, the 5 seed would become the 4, as the 8 is the lowest seed, the brackets are then set up and are played as is through the final 5.

the 1 seed then would play the winner of the 4/5 seed game, irregardless of who wins b/t the 3 and 6 seed, as the bracket is already set up that the 3/6 seed plays the 2 seed.

understand?

Comment

Working...
                  X