Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

    4 teams, only 2 points seperating, with 20 meaningful games remaining to determine the Top spot in the WCHA season standings.

    North Dakota 32 points
    Denver 31
    tUM-Duluth 30
    Nebraska-Omaha 30

    3 weekends remain and the schedules are:

    UND:
    @ SCSU (9th)
    Bemidji (11th)
    @ Tech (12th)

    Denver:
    Tech (12th)
    @ Nebraska Omaha (T-3rd)
    SCSU (9th)

    tUM-Duluth:
    @ MSU-Mankato (10th)
    @ CC (6th)
    Nebraska-Omaha (T-3rd)

    Nebraska-Omaha:
    @ AA (8th)
    Denver (2nd)
    @ tUMD (T-3rd)

    How do you see the end of the year turning out??


    UND has the easiest shedule on paper
    Denver has only one more road series
    Duluth gets its hardest opponent left at home
    UNO has to go to Alaska, then face Denver and Duluth

    Let the bickering and back-biting begin!
    huskyfan: Gwoz = Tyler Hirsch of coaching
    Facebook group for Dirty's Blog! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75090973064

  • #2
    Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

    my Prediction are...

    1. UND 42 points (try to keep the level of play up with weakening opponents or expect a big surprise again come playoff time
    2. tUMD 40 points (only 1 home series left might be a good thing for the Bulldogs
    2. UNO 40 points (probably splitsville with Duluth, could they surprise Denver for 4 Points??)
    4. Denver 39 points (look for the Pioneers to sweep the first round though on their way to St. Paul..)
    huskyfan: Gwoz = Tyler Hirsch of coaching
    Facebook group for Dirty's Blog! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75090973064

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

      All i know is if UNO can hold serve at UAA this weekend, then this state has seen nothing like what will be at Qwest Center for DU. The fact its a team from Colorado just adds fuel.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

        I agree with LincolnMav if UNO can get out of UAA with a split or a sweep then Denver series will be a barn burner (may be that way anyway) - UMD has proven vulnerable in their series with SCSU but UNO has also proven to be inconsistent at least in December and January. On paper UNO has the toughest road but the boys sure have played well the last two weeks. UND has the easiest road but Bemidji can surprise them.
        UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

          UND has by far the easiest remaining road to the Trophy. If they don't win it, they will have simply blown it - all of UNDs remaining opponents are lower division and very sweepable.

          The other three teams will battle for second place. Among the three remaining teams, I think Denver has the easier road to #2, with two sweepable lower division opponents at home and one very tough road series in Nebraska, where a split would be great. UMD and UNO will probably tie for third. Both have more road games remaining, which are tougher to win.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

            Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            UND has by far the easiest remaining road to the Trophy. If they don't win it, they will have simply blown it - all of UNDs remaining opponents are lower division and very sweepable.

            The other three teams will battle for second place. Among the three remaining teams, I think Denver has the easier road to #2, with two sweepable lower division opponents at home and one very tough road series in Nebraska, where a split would be great. UMD and UNO will probably tie for third. Both have more road games remaining, which are tougher to win.
            Apparently Fargo isn't the only place where sandbagging has already started.

            UND and DU play common opponents 2 of the last 3 weeks. The only difference is, DU gets those games at home while UND is on the road.

            After this weekend, DU will be in first place, and will be the only team controlling their own destiny.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

              Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Apparently Fargo isn't the only place where sandbagging has already started.

              UND and DU play common opponents 2 of the last 3 weeks. The only difference is, DU gets those games at home while UND is on the road.

              After this weekend, DU will be in first place, and will be the only team controlling their own destiny.
              No sandbagging! As a Denver fan, I would trade our remaining schedule for UND's remaining schedule in a heartbeat!
              Tech should be four points for DU or UND, regardless of where the game is played. Even.
              SCSU should be a sweep for both schools, although UND may have a little tougher time with the sweep at the NHC than Denver should have at home vs the Huskles. Even.
              UND has Bemidji at home which I would much rather have than Denver's trip to UNO. Edge UND.
              All in all, UND has the easier road.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                Well from here i'd prefer for umd to win it. I think in some ways it depends on which SCSU team shows up. Could be the last weekend will be really big.
                Also DU fans, the ice at the quest is terrible and uno is very physical, sometimes unnecessarily so. I wouldn't say UMD has a much tougher schedule than the others to tell the truth.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                  Should have seen this coming, a Dean Blais coached team is again playing its best hockey at the end of the year, and in UNO's first season in the WCHA they are now only 2 points away from 1st place in the WCHA. Also consider that Blais is a slavedriver. I doubt that any team will be able to outwork UNO at this point in the season.

                  The way UNO is playing now they are the most underrated team in the nation at #13. Wouldn't be shocked if UNO swept both Denver and UMD.

                  As a Sioux fan I am really really glad to see that UNO isn't on UND's upcoming schedule. Also very very glad to see that UND has 2 points on UNO because I have a feeling UND will need those 2 points to stay ahead of UNO.
                  Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM.
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                    Wow i wouldnt go that far. UNO has definately played their best hockey against highly ranked teams. Maybe its a good thing they dont finish with two so-called easy opponents. I have never enjoyed a hockey season this much. I love the WCHA!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                      Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                      Should have seen this coming, a Dean Blais coached team is again playing its best hockey at the end of the year, and in UNO's first season in the WCHA they are now only 2 points away from 1st place in the WCHA. Also consider that Blais is a slavedriver. I doubt that any team will be able to outwork UNO at this point in the season.

                      The way UNO is playing now they are the most underrated team in the nation at #13. Wouldn't be shocked if UNO swept both Denver and UMD.

                      As a Sioux fan I am really really glad to see that UNO isn't on UND's upcoming schedule. Also very very glad to see that UND has 2 points on UNO because I have a feeling UND will need those 2 points to stay ahead of UNO.
                      Wow....SoCalSioux - that's quite the praise! I know UND has the easiest schedule down the stretch which is what everyone is talking about. But not many people realize how hot UNO is right now - two straight sweeps. Yes, they were at home, but this team is producing at the end just like last season. Hopefully it doesn't end like it did in the CCHA. I hope you're right, but we have been fairly inconsistent at times. Just hoping that doesn't come back to bite us in the next three weeks. Should be fun!
                      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                        Here's what I posted on January 30th:

                        OK, I have looked into my crystal ball, and I have seen the final standings in the WCHA. It looks like this ; UND 42 points, DU 41, UMD 38. I didn't see anything beyond the first three, nor do I think any other team has a shot at first in the league. UMD has the toughest remaining schedule, with home games with MN, SCSU and UNO and road games with Mankato and CC. DU has home games with CC, SCSU and MTU and road games with CC, MN and UNO. UND has home games with AA and BSU, and road games with SCSU and MTU. It could come down to the last game of the season at MTU for the MacNaughton.

                        I still see UND in first and Denver second. It looks like UMD is fading a little and UNO is playing very well, so UNO in third with 38 and UMD in fourth with 36.
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                          UND should win it going away.

                          UNO will probably sweep UAA, but the flight home & jet lag isn't easy. Thats why teams like DU like to travel to Alaska up against the XMAS Break. To me its more likely that UNO loses three of its last four than wins three of four.

                          UMD probably wants to win the MacNaughton more than DU or UND.

                          DU isn't playing well right now, but may just eke out 5 wins in 6 games.

                          Should be a great finish.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                            Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            UND should win it going away.

                            UNO will probably sweep UAA, but the flight home & jet lag isn't easy. Thats why teams like DU like to travel to Alaska up against the XMAS Break. To me its more likely that UNO loses three of its last four than wins three of four.

                            UMD probably wants to win the MacNaughton more than DU or UND.

                            DU isn't playing well right now, but may just eke out 5 wins in 6 games.

                            Should be a great finish.
                            If DU does win 5 of 6, no one is going to win this thing "going away".

                            Realistically, I'm hoping for the Sioux to go 5-1 over the last 3 weekends, sweeping at home and splitting against SCSU. That's doable, and is the outcome they should get. But there are some trap games in there. It's not out of the question for UND to lose an additional point or two to SCSU, BSU or even Tech on the road. Any one of those teams are more than capable of sneaking up on the Sioux and snaring a point. That's why it's my hunch we go 4-1-1 over the last 6.

                            5-1, I like our chances. If UNO, UMD or DU sweeps out, you tip your cap. With UNO and UMD we'd at least share the cup.

                            4-1-1, chances aren't as good, and 4-2, we're in trouble.

                            While the Cup would be fantastic, I still think it's so important to finish in the top 2 in order to avoid a Thursday game at the Final 5.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: And Down The Stretch They Come For The MacNaughton

                              IMO, if UND sweeps this weekend, the race is over. I don't see any of the other three winning out, and UND shouldn't lose more than a point to Bemidji and Tech.

                              For seeding purposes, remember that North Dakota will most likely hold the tiebreakers over Duluth and Denver, but lose the tiebreaker to UNO.

                              North Dakota is definitely in the driver's seat, but there are still 12 points up for grabs and only 2 points separating the top four.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X