Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    I'd love to see psu be proactive and host a little weekend with say Cornell, BU, and BC. Let the Boston teams play Penn St along with another school that would benefit them.
    It would be pretty easy for BC and BU to team up and invite Alabama Huntsville up as well. They would also be looking for games as well. You could have PSU at BU while BC entertains the Chargers on a Friday night, and then they just switch partners for Saturday night. The visitors wouldn't even need to switch hotels for the weekend.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      You aren't going to get home football and hockey on the same weekend, no way no how!
      I've gone up to NMU twice to see my school play NMU in football, and have made the effort to get in early enough to watch the Friday night games, and have even dragged some of my fellow GVSU Fans to the Saturday night games. And heck, I even took in OSU at Ferris this year for the Saturday night tilt and I put aside my hatred of Ferris as well that night because I hate the Buckeyes more. I felt dirty afterwords, but it was a lesser of 2 evils thing.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
        I can only speak for BC because that's what I know for sure but BC would never do the Friday hockey, Saturday football, Saturday hockey bit for several reasons:

2) The campus just isn't big enough to clear people off for football and get them on for hockey. .
        The fact that the football stadium & hockey/hoops arena are literally connected, with a large number of fans entiring Alumni Stadium from Conte's concourse is a particular problem, I'm sure.

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
        I can see BC doing a Friday hockey Saturday football type deal. But the corpse of a head coach out there would have to agree to it.
        That was the format of the old Notre Dame series, correct? A one-off hockey game on the eve of the football game.
        BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
        CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
        2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
        2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
          The fact that the football stadium & hockey/hoops arena are literally connected, with a large number of fans entiring Alumni Stadium from Conte's concourse is a particular problem, I'm sure.

That was the format of the old Notre Dame series, correct? A one-off hockey game on the eve of the football game.
          I know B10/11/12 fans will laugh at this but BC has EXTREMELY strict tailgaiting rules, we have to apply for a permit for every game the week before. All cars must be off campus at a designated time after the game (between 0-3 hours).

Re: ND-BC correct

Comment

When BU played at Michigan in 2007, they played their hockey games at about 7 on Friday & Saturday nights, with a Saturday afternoon football against Minnesota in between. Hundreds of people, including dozens of BU fans, went to all of the games.
            Lowell was out at Michigan State a couple of seasons ago and the hockey games were scheduled for Thursday & Friday night. They had a home football game Saturday and I believe they had their Midnight Madness for basketball on that Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Well, if PSU's pockets are as deep as they seem to be, and if they really get the fan/alumni support that they seem to be projecting, they could certainly make it worth other teams' while to travel to State College. I'm not sure I really buy the recruiting angle, though - it's 2.5 hours away from Pittsburgh and 3:45 from Philadelphia. That would be about like scheduling a game at WMU to try to tap into the Detroit recruits.

And Terrie520: Princeton is not the closest school. RMU (Pittsburgh), Mercyhurst (Erie), Niagara and Canisius (Buffalo), RIT (Rochester), and Cornell (Ithaca) are all closer to State College than Princeton is.
              On Tuesday PSU received a 1 million dollar donation to the ice hockey arena. Look for more money coming in.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Why wouldn't you? They try to not schedule against each other in terms of time of day, but I know for a fact that BC, Notre Dame, and Michigan have had home weekends in both hockey and football and I'd imagine the rest of the FBS teams have as well. A lot of people who travel for road series try to squeeze in another sporting event on the weekend and a Saturday afternoon football game between a Friday and Saturday night hockey games is one of the first things we look for.
                The arena is going to be literally across the street from Beaver Stadium and the Jordan Center. The football and Jordan Center parking lots will likely be the lots used for the arena -- 100K tailgating on a Saturday won't leave a lot of room for hockey fans.

BTW Rhett - I'm not lobbying against it, I'm simply stating my personal opinion. Traffic on football weekends can be a mess as it is - I don't think hockey fans will want to have to deal with it.

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Lowell was out at Michigan State a couple of seasons ago and the hockey games were scheduled for Thursday & Friday night. They had a home football game Saturday and I believe they had their Midnight Madness for basketball on that Friday night.
                The Icers did that in the fall, with Liberty here on Thursday and Friday night and Michigan in for football on Saturday.
                Last edited by SteveP; 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

The Icers did that in the fall, with Liberty here on Thursday and Friday night and Michigan in for football on Saturday.
                  and in a couple years psu will get to schedule D1 for both sports on the same day!!
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The arena is going to be literally across the street from Beaver Stadium and the Jordan Center. The football and Jordan Center parking lots will likely be the lots used for the arena -- 100K tailgating on a Saturday won't leave a lot of room for hockey fans.

BTW Rhett - I'm not lobbying against it, I'm simply stating my personal opinion. Traffic on football weekends can be a mess as it is - I don't think hockey fans will want to have to deal with it..
                    should have done this all at once.....

that'll be the beauty of it. go to beaver in the afternoon. head back to your trailer to drink some, drop a turkey in the deep fryer.... then head over to the rink.

as all us bu'ers were typing. we went to the michigan-minnesota game for noon. the boy and i walked over to the one main street up from yost and ate dinner, then we walked back to the rink and saw bu get their butts whipped.

great fun!!

going in for the foozball game i parked in a yard across from yost. told the kid i was staying for the night game, he had me park in the back of the yard. when we left we were the only car left. easy out!!
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      and in a couple years psu will get to schedule D1 for both sports on the same day!!
                      Can't happen soon enough!
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

There is one Boston-area school that I'm sure will be scheduling PSU.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice...es/downey_bill
                        Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                        1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

No, no it won't! That sort of gets at why PSU might not go for that, even if it works at a place like Michigan. State College is a small town that happens to have a large university in it, and they manage as best as they're able on football Saturdays by parking people in cow pastures. Paved parking spots require quite a few $$$ tossed the athletic department's way. Just not a place that's built to be able to host a football game and anything else in the same window, especially near each other on campus.

A noon football game and a 7:30 hockey game might work, but with TV, you often don't know the time of the football game more than a couple weeks out.
                          Penn State: Annoying everyone in college hockey since September 17, 2010.
                          1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 ACHA National Champions

Thank You Terry: A Penn State Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X