This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread

You got a really good kid in Jujhar Khaira. Here is a player profile done on him by hockeytube.net

http://www.hockeytube.net/2012/06/23...hl-draft-pick/

Comment

Good to see two more NHL draft picks on this team.

A couple notes from twitter:

Bryce Reddick left Houghton and is still waiting for a decision from the NCAA on another year of eligability

The writer for the Edmonton Journal, @jonathanwillis tweeted that Jujhar would go the WHL route if that's what Edmonton wants him to do,

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
        The writer for the Edmonton Journal, @jonathanwillis tweeted that Jujhar would go the WHL route if that's what Edmonton wants him to do,
        From the article on the Oilers' website:

[Head scout Stu] MacGregor added that the team will not stand in the way of Khaira if he does indeed feel the college route is the best one to take.

"I don't think it's going to matter. He's going to need a couple years no matter what. I don't think he's even grown into his body yet. He'll continue to develop physically," the head scout began.

"I'm always of the belief that if you've chosen a path, take that path. Don't waver back and forth unless the path you've tried isn't working. We'll have some conversation with him but I just believe that you should continue in the phase you're looking at because that's what your best interests are and that's what you believe in. I suggest, continue what you're doing."

Comment

While it's nice that EDM's lead scout appears to get it - that it doesn't matter how you get there, you'll play in the NHL if you're good enough - I expect Everett will still push to try and sign him. They had one of the worst offenses in the WHL last year and made the playoffs as an 8-seed with a substantial losing record. Hopefully Kharia doesn't let getting drafted go to his head when they start promising him loads of ice time and point out that he'd play twice as many games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            SG and I had a criteria a few years ago that determined this set of players.

*****http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7674/namesls.png******

At the time we proposed put these along the bottom fascia of the suites. SG might be able to recollect the criteria.

Also at the time, I designed these.

*****http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8711/bannerslw.png******

I haven't verified this, but seeing as though there is one banner remaining in the MacInnes, they may be replace those during this renovation.

Edit: I believe they were chosen if they were a Hobey Finalist or they were recognized multiple times for being either a 1st Team All-American or WCHA Player of the Year.
            What about frozen four banners for the other years?
            "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              I was just watching this interview with Tony Esposito, wherein he insinuates that he was hurt by Bill Wirtz's lack of recognition for past Blackhawks, and it made me wonder what kind of relationship, if any, he has with Michigan Tech these days. We inducted him into our Hall of Fame in 1991...has he been back since? (Did he even come back for that?)

Relevant quote from Tony: "The mindset was different before. It wasn't about anything to do with past players or any kind of a culture or heritage. It was about the now player and the future player. I think that you have to cultivate the team over the long haul, from the past to present and the future, to build a tradition."

I think the first order of business once we get that new scoreboard ought to be bringing Tony in for a nice video tribute and number retirement ceremony.
              5 year old information, but I know he was buddies with Yeo when he was Athletic Director and they did keep in touch. I also know that Tony did not like talking about donations. Don't know why and don't know if things have changed in the last 5 years.
              "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
                What about frozen four banners for the other years?
                Leave participation banners for St, Clooud.
                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
                  Leave participation banners for St, Clooud.
                  I hear ya, but frozen four vs. we were one of the 16 in the tournament is a big difference.

Comment

5 year old information, but I know he was buddies with Yeo when he was Athletic Director and they did keep in touch. I also know that Tony did not like talking about donations. Don't know why and don't know if things have changed in the last 5 years.
                    Was it ever made public who helped financially with getting Pearson on board?

Comment

I hear ya, but frozen four vs. we were one of the 16 in the tournament is a big difference.
                      that might be true but Michigan Tech has only made a frozen four when it was only a 4 team tournament, so that's pretty much a participation banner.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        that might be true but Michigan Tech has only made a frozen four when it was only a 4 team tournament, so that's pretty much a participation banner.
                        Personally, I have no issue with a frozen four banner regardless of whether or not it meant just making the tournament/participation at the time. Participation actually meant something then.

Comment

Jujhar Khaira is eligible ti play right, not going to turn into another CPZ incident?
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                            Jujhar Khaira is eligible ti play right, not going to turn into another CPZ incident?
                            he has a reputation for being brainy and almost as excited about the academics at Tech as the hockey. Like Eli Visa... Vlysof... Vai... like that other smart kid we used to have on the team.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              he has a reputation for being brainy and almost as excited about the academics at Tech as the hockey. Like Eli Visa... Vlysof... Vai... like that other smart kid we used to have on the team.
                              In the hockeytube video he says he plans to major in Engineering. No CPZ problems there.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

It's Vlaisavljevich. :P

(Only threw an extra J in there before I looked it up.)

Here's Stephen's article on Juhjar and Jamie getting drafted:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

And here's my article on Ben Johnson and the Devils:

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009
                                Originally posted by Jon
                                You call everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X