Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by Truth Squad
    I know you are probably a "Yuper" and it might take time for you to figure this out, but hopefully this will help you.
    First off, it's "Yooper." And just because you are a Yooper doesn't mean it takes time to figure things out. You're statement here is rather demeaning to all Yoopers. Year 6 of Frank 2.0? So does Jamie Russell get the credit for Mel's success at Tech this year? How about a tip of the cap to Jim Culhane for what Jeff Blashill (a Yooper, by the way and now Red Wings assistant) and Andy Murray have accomplished. While you're at it, give Rich Rodriguez credit for this year's Michigan football season. You talk of star players cut for no reason. Again, who were these "stars?" What kind of numbers did they put up?

Was Frank a success? An LSSU Hall of Famer? Absolutely. And he deserves all the credit for what he accomplished at that point. Any adulation he receives is well earned. He put the program on the map. But if the numbers from 1982-90 don't lie, then neither do the numbers from 2001-05. Much like you accuse others of making excuses for the current coach and administration, you make excuses for the second tenure.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
      Scott Borek killed Laker Hockey. I think 99% of us can agree on that.
      Frank Anzalone's best 2nd Term team had a .347 win %. In four years. And nobody saw improvement in the team. Borek was bad, but to say Frank "rebuilt" the program in his second tour is totally incorrect.
      I think there was one area of improvement in the team during Frank's second stint compared to what Borek left him, and that area is on ice discipline. The Lakers were taking a lot of penalties in the last couple of Borek years, and Frank got that turned around. The talent wasn't there to turn that into more Ws, but at least he installed a little more discipline in the team.

Comment

Maybe its time for him to go, too. Maybe its time for a "splash" hiring. Any suggestions?

Oh, lots of people say "time for change." OK -- what change? What is it about Roque's current system, team, recruiting, personality, and player usage would you change -- and what coach would you bring in to make those changes? Who is out there, that any of us know about, that can address any of Roque's shortfalls.

Anyone?

Thoughts?

I have yet to hear anyone explain what it is about Jim Roque's coaching and leadership that makes him a prime candidate to be fired. Oh, ok, his record. Fair enough, and I agree. This is a results oriented business. Fine. Now tell me what a new coach is going to do -- that Roque is unable or unwilling to do -- to change that record.

Hmmmm? Anyone? Anything?

Come on. We have some people on here who want Roque fired. We have people who believe Roque is a puppet for a corrupt administration. Proof? Any? Ideas on change? Any? Or do we just have one guy who has a thin grasp of English, whose son was cut, who posts under multiple nom de plams to trash talk coach Roque.
        Im torn on the coaching situation. Knowing the budget issues it could be hard to bring in a young new coach and if successful convince him to stick around when there may be greener pastures elsewhere. Having said that though, I dont think that should keep us from looking for someone new. Roque has done a good job of stabilizing things and getting more out of the players than Frank did during his 2nd tenure (at least based soley on the win % and stats). And he has had some success getting some wins in the playoffs and even has a trip to the Joe. But I feel like these 2nd half collapses, and inconsitent play (lose Friday, win Saturday; play great for 3 or 4 games then suck it up for a month) is a big negative against Roque for me. Now, I admittedly havent been able to see a game in some time or listen on the radio so I am basing this off of recaps and what I read here. Also as Bill(?) has noted, we have some players who can score some points but it just seems like we can't get anyone to really spark the scoring. Over the past few years its been a score by committee situation it seems. And while that can be fine, there are those times where you just need that one player or two who can light the lamp especially in the clutch situation (not in the shootout). We just dont seem to have it. Now is that a recruiting issue or a style of play issue? I don't know. But either way it falls on the coach. It also sounds like that when we do have someone set up a good scoring chance we dont have anyone that can finish.

All in all I look at it this way I guess: Roque is adequate for the job right now. He seems to be able to produce some wins and get an OK win % and have a decent showing in the playoffs. I wish that this conference switch was this coming season. I would really like to see what he can do in that conference situation. But Im not sure I would want him around much longer. It seems this would be a great time to go for the gusto and bring in new coaching if we are going to do it. Give them one year in the old CCHA against the Michigans, Miamis and Notre Dames and then hopefully within that season they can establish what kind of hockey team they are trying to be and then make that transition into the new WCHA and it can be a bit more of a fresh start. I say look to the juniors for someone eager to move up. Heck maybe even look to the minors for a guy who has just been hoping for the chance to prove he can lead. I almost want to say let's avoid looking for an alum and bring in new outside blood who might think differently and have new ideas.

So I'm sure that was all over the place (and I may not have even answered the quoted questions or anything) but I guess thats my feelings on everything right now. As an alum I will always support Laker hockey and whoever is coaching (I liked Frank as a person and wanted to seem him succed with the Lakers). I like to believe we can be critical (in a constructive way) while still being supportive.

GO LAKERS.

Comment

Joey Shawhan

Comment

Joey Shawhan

Frank Anzalone would be a great choice but would turn down the job I believe.
            Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
              Joey Shawhan
              Shawhan is kind of wild card. I was under the impression that his departure was not...I'm not sure the word. I heard it did not go over very well as in the administration did not treat him great. Would he be willing to come back to that? Perhaps since there have been some changes up top he might be. I don't know much about him other than he was a solid junior leagues coach (correct?) and was supposed to be a solid recruiter as well. Could be worth a shot. I'd still like to see someone totally new to the program though who might come in with different ideas. But maybe we just aren't ready for that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
                Joey Shawhan

Frank Anzalone would be a great choice but would turn down the job I believe.
                Welcome to 2001? Or is it 1991? Sorry, but how did I know that his name would come up? That is the SPLASH pick? No offense but . .. oh heck lots of offense ... hahahahaha. You hate Roque but you want Shawhan? Seriously? That is the end game? A Full Year of chipping your teeth about Jim Roque, and your BEST answer is Joe Shawhan? Wow, that is imagination.

The fact is you don't know what you're talking about. You know that joe patted your kid on the head once at practice. You don't know anything about the current team. You don't know anything about the team's current tactics, or recruiting. You don't know anything about running a modern D-I hockey program. You don't know anything about any assistants that are looking to step up. You don't know about any former player who might move to LSSU and take over the helm. You have chipped your teeth at Jim Roque JUST so you could see Joe Shawhan run a D-I program? Thats it? This is what you've been begging for? Oh my . . . its all so clear now. Wow. That is funny stuff. Funny. Funny Stuff.

Gee, I wonder why Tech didn't hire him? I can't imagine why NMU didn't pay him? Why isn't he Robert Morris' head coach right now? What, no D-III openings?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Classic.

You want to move the program forward? You preach for a whole year about the insider old boy network at LSSU, and then ---- hahahahaha -- then you toss out that name? THAT was your answer all along?

Well darn it all -- I am impressed.

Comment

I would see nothing wrong with hiring Joe Shawhan . To be a head coach the man had to go back to college and get his 4 year degree and he did that. He has experience in the juniors and at the college ranks and has a good knowledge of the game and seems to be a good recruiter as well. As for his departure being under less than desired conditions . Most assistants would forget the past to be a head coach that all assistants dream of becoming.

AS for Anzalone saving the program or not ? I think he sent it back in the right direction with getting programs back on track that develope players from discipline to conditioning to strength building that was missing for a period of time.
                  Last edited by sm2pk; 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

You preach for a whole year about the insider old boy network at LSSU, and then ---- hahahahaha -- then you toss out that name? THAT was your answer all along?

So Jim Roque is the obvious answer in year 8. Well darn it all -- I am impressed!!

You people are so predictable

The Truth Is Out There.....
                    TBA
                    Last edited by Truth Squad; 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Welcome to 2001? Or is it 1991? Sorry, but how did I know that his name would come up? That is the SPLASH pick? No offense but . .. oh heck lots of offense ... hahahahaha. You hate Roque but you want Shawhan? Seriously? That is the end game? A Full Year of chipping your teeth about Jim Roque, and your BEST answer is Joe Shawhan? Wow, that is imagination.

The fact is you don't know what you're talking about. You know that joe patted your kid on the head once at practice. You don't know anything about the current team. You don't know anything about the team's current tactics, or recruiting. You don't know anything about running a modern D-I hockey program. You don't know anything about any assistants that are looking to step up. You don't know about any former player who might move to LSSU and take over the helm. You have chipped your teeth at Jim Roque JUST so you could see Joe Shawhan run a D-I program? Thats it? This is what you've been begging for? Oh my . . . its all so clear now. Wow. That is funny stuff. Funny. Funny Stuff.

Gee, I wonder why Tech didn't hire him? I can't imagine why NMU didn't pay him? Why isn't he Robert Morris' head coach right now? What, no D-III openings?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Classic.

You want to move the program forward? You preach for a whole year about the insider old boy network at LSSU, and then ---- hahahahaha -- then you toss out that name? THAT was your answer all along?

You don't know what you are talking about and quit making up such foolishness and vitriol.

You are one of the biggest apologists of the current coach, but to demean a former player, coach and boy from your hometown is pathetic at best. That was just one name of about a hundred others that would be as good a fit up there as Frank Anzalone was the first time, was the second time before his rebuilding plan was cut short by ambitious people in the dead of night, and would be the third time, if he was interested.
                      Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-23-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Adrian College's Ron Fogarty.
                        Go Lakers!

Comment

Even know there was improvement this season it is time for a change in coaching. While the Lakers finished higher than people predicted they should have and could have done even better; if they had a .500 on Friday nights they would have finished in third place.

While there were improvements in this year’s team. They did make a change this past season; a different Assistant Coach which brought improvement in the record and performance. While the new AC may not have been the total difference in the season the point is there was change leading to change. One has to ask what changing the head coach would bring to the program.

Look at the programs which have made changes over the last two years. Western Michigan (changing coaches twice), 2 trips to the Joe and 2 trips to the NCAA. Ohio State, while collapsing the second half of the season they were #1 in the CCHA for most of the season and ranked #2 in the country for quite a while. BGSU, . while in the basement ask Northern if they want to play them in the playoffs again after the past two seasons or Ferris. The Lakers should have swept them the last two years, but they can’t. Does anyone want to play them in the playoffs? They were in the second round of the playoffs; which everyone would have been ecstatic if it were the Lakers. There is improvement coming in BG. Let’s look to our neighbors in Houghton at Tech; Pearson has done a great job in his first year with the Huskies. The whole point is it is time for a change after 7 years.

Reading different post on different threads each member of the New WCHA is figuring they will be the dominate team of the conference. If LSSU really wants to be a dominate team in the new conference they better get it together. IN ADDTION IF THEY WANT TO GET SEATS IN THE SEATS OF THE NEWLY REMODLED TAFFY THEY NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE.

Again I would say Ron Fogerty of Adrian College; he has done a pretty good job down there so far.
                          Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                            Shawhan is kind of wild card. I was under the impression that his departure was not...I'm not sure the word. I heard it did not go over very well as in the administration did not treat him great. Would he be willing to come back to that? Perhaps since there have been some changes up top he might be. I don't know much about him other than he was a solid junior leagues coach (correct?) and was supposed to be a solid recruiter as well. Could be worth a shot. I'd still like to see someone totally new to the program though who might come in with different ideas. But maybe we just aren't ready for that yet.
                            If the powers that be were ready to pull the trigger on a coaching change and i don't think they are then Joey Shawhan would be a very interesting candidate. I think he would bring energy and fresh attitude plus i think he would be a better ambassador for Laker hockey and the University.

When the time comes for a change I hope they do a broad search for the next coach. WMU proved with the hire of a young coach that large steps can be made just like TECH proved last year that a older one could. I just hope they take their time and get the right one and not just make a change for the sake of making a change.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Here is a good name Doc DelCastillo he is good coach and a good man

Comment

• As I have posted previously, this season, the Lakers finished as high as I believe they can with the current leadership.
                                Coach Roque applied for the Clarkson job, which indicates to me that he is not satisfied with his current arrangement. He was not hired. Would LSSU have hired him if the situation were reversed? There is nothing wrong with a coach building on his success and advancing his career. This situation seemed more like an attempted escape. It is not likely he will be hired away from LSSU due to a run of success.
                                Do the athletic dept leaders want a coach that wants to be somewhere else, that isn't attractive to other teams, that hasn't produced a record that would lead LSSU to be interested in hiring him if he were coaching another team, and who has not shown evidence that improved performance is forthcoming?
                                Last edited by DB Cooper; 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X