PDA

View Full Version : Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012



Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

hockeydad2005
03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Exactly....LAzy and the admissions director not having a clue that when athletics are good applications go up and so don't donations.

Not to mention that all the UNH Alumns offered the job make much more at lesser known and less high profile schools.

bomberhockey
03-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see some facts to support the rumor that the highest paid employee in the State can't get admissions to look at a transcript.

What's the reason Joey Laleggia was deferred and went to Denver (UNH deferred him)?


What role did the NCAA sanctions play in the denial of Cam Reid and Matt White?


Why didn't he re-take the class and go to UNH the year he went to Saint Cloud?

Some times its better to have a faceless scapegoat rather than be accountable for the facts.

Gaudrault was going to UNH, very very very likely(as close to fact as can be). The admissions sat on it. Fact. Huddleston should have been involved, by who ever could have brought him in. Men's Hockey is a profit center for the university, and admissions let an extremely talented product(see Hockey East playoffs) hang on the vine, and to BC a superior in both hockey and academic attraction, inexcusable!!

bomberhockey
03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=NCAA watcher;5403799]I'd like to see some facts to support the rumor that the highest paid employee in the State can't get admissions to look at a transcript.

What's the reason Joey Laleggia was deferred and went to Denver (UNH deferred him)?
Deferring probably a mistake they kick themselves for doing. Also they(coaches) probably lost momentum because of NCAA sanctions not be able to communicate regularly with him.

jeteye1717
03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
>> Any chatter about possible ooc opponents for next season?

From a recent article by Gavin Faretra in The Concord Monitor:

> The Wildcats will open next season at home against Boston University and then host St. Cloud State
> of the WCHA. Other non-conference games include Harvard and tournaments at Dartmouth College
> and the University of Denver, as well as an in-conference tilt against Merrimack at the Verizon Wire-
> less Arena at the end of January.

I'm assuming the game with Harvard will be at the Whitt (the back end of this past season's melt-down in Cambridge), and I know the Denver (Holiday) Tournament is played between Christmas and New Years (I expect the Pioneer contingent will fill in the other participants in due time), but when is the Dartmouth Tournament usually held? I know Umile never really liked playing in these between-semester Tourneys, but I think it's a good thing (provided we win at least once :-) to prevent the inevitable rust that's built up in recent years from not playing for 5+ weeks. At least they'll get to say Hi! to Dave Lassonde ...

jeteye1717
03-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I know the Denver (Holiday) Tournament is played between Christmas and New Years (I expect the Pioneer contingent will fill in the other participants in due time), but when is the Dartmouth Tournament usually held?

Oops, I should've dug a little deeper before posting ... Using this past season as a guide, the Ledyard Bank Tournament in Hanover was held Dec. 30th/31st; the Denver Cup was contested over the Thanksgiving Weekend. Depending on when the Harvard game is scheduled, the 'Cats could be finished with their non-conference portion of their schedule before the calendar turns to 2013 ...

Darius
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Random thoughts:

GREAT final weekend of hockey. With late season losses to VT, UMA, all the OT opportunities; how close we were to playing a more beatable Lowell team.

This year only Moses had the skill to play the way two or three senior forwards need to for us to be successful. Borisenok’s play was fine and McCarey played determined hockey seemingly trying to make plays by force of will.

Losing Kessel really hurt. The defense eventually recovered, but it took Kostolansky far too long for an upperclassman to adjust to a new pairing. He was a different player until later in the season. Digi just wasn’t where he needed to be. Obviously more problems than the loss of a single defensemen, including being left where he was too long.

Why not play all freshmen a little? See above.

The tournament is fun and exciting despite not qualifying, but the adrenaline level isn’t the same. No anticipating who we will play, where we will play, actually (((playing))). Hopefully we qualify next year, hosting in Manch.

Can enough of this season's Juniors make the Senior production leap getting us back to the norm? Henrion needs to, hopefully Burke can stay healthy. Factor in talented underclassmen and there is optimism for next season.

Opposing players best not have their heads down or take to much time in the corners when Camper is in the line up. He is one of those guys you hate unless he is on your team.

Grayson Downing. A 19 year old un-drafted freshman. We’ll be lucky to have him all four years if his progression continues.

Best headline of the year was “DeSmith is da man”. Potentially a NH native playing 3.5 years in goal. Great for the program great for the state.

Can any one say why Tim Schaller isn’t a Wildcat?

They wanted his head when the team was playing in the Garden, regionals and occasional FF. The Fire Dick Umile crew is conspicuously absent.

I hope he leaves early because it is going to be a long 3 years watching Johnny Gaudreau play at BC.

Lasting end of season images from Agganis: Goumas kneeling in the net just after the game ending goal and a few minutes later, Moses bent over, stick on legs, slowly gliding off the ice.

Next year’s Captains: Hardowa, Burke.

Saetia22
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Random thoughts:

GREAT final weekend of hockey. With late season losses to VT, UMA, all the OT opportunities; how close we were to playing a more beatable Lowell team.

This year only Moses had the skill to play the way two or three senior forwards need to for us to be successful. Borisenok’s play was fine and McCarey played determined hockey seemingly trying to make plays by force of will.

Losing Kessel really hurt. The defense eventually recovered, but it took Kostolansky far too long for an upperclassman to adjust to a new pairing. He was a different player until later in the season. Digi just wasn’t where he needed to be. Obviously more problems than the loss of a single defensemen, including being left where he was too long.

Why not play all freshmen a little? See above.

The tournament is fun and exciting despite not qualifying, but the adrenaline level isn’t the same. No anticipating who we will play, where we will play, actually (((playing))). Hopefully we qualify next year, hosting in Manch.

Can enough of this season's Juniors make the Senior production leap getting us back to the norm? Henrion needs to, hopefully Burke can stay healthy. Factor in talented underclassmen and there is optimism for next season.

Opposing players best not have their heads down or take to much time in the corners when Camper is in the line up. He is one of those guys you hate unless he is on your team.

Grayson Downing. A 19 year old un-drafted freshman. We’ll be lucky to have him all four years if his progression continues.

Best headline of the year was “DeSmith is da man”. Potentially a NH native playing 3.5 years in goal. Great for the program great for the state.

Can any one say why Tim Schaller isn’t a Wildcat?

They wanted his head when the team was playing in the Garden, regionals and occasional FF. The Fire Dick Umile crew is conspicuously absent.

I hope he leaves early because it is going to be a long 3 years watching Johnny Gaudreau play at BC.

Lasting end of season images from Agganis: Goumas kneeling in the net just after the game ending goal and a few minutes later, Moses bent over, stick on legs, slowly gliding off the ice.

Next year’s Captains: Hardowa, Burke.

Nice thoughts to read.
Captains - I think Hardowa is a sure thing, and Speelman (Jr or Sr) is my guess for Co-Pilot.
I'd like to post more thoughts on the season as a whole, just havn't gotten around to it yet.

sonar
03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Darius;5405141]Random thoughts:
They wanted his head when the team was playing in the Garden, regionals and occasional FF. The Fire Dick Umile crew is conspicuously absent.
/QUOTE]

You should'nt poke an old sleeping animal. He might wake up and say " that the absence is a function of the distinct possibility that fewer and fewer UNH fans care anymore". He might also reiterate what was overheard while leaving the Whit .... "How about that - a coach who has not 'finished' in over 20 years complaining in the newspaper about the players he recruited not being able to finish."

Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Darius;5405141]Random thoughts:
They wanted his head when the team was playing in the Garden, regionals and occasional FF. The Fire Dick Umile crew is conspicuously absent.
/QUOTE]

You should'nt poke an old sleeping animal. He might wake up and say " that the absence is a function of the distinct possibility that fewer and fewer UNH fans care anymore". He might also reiterate what was overheard while leaving the Whit .... "How about that - a coach who has not 'finished' in over 20 years complaining in the newspaper about the players he recruited not being able to finish."
C'est vrai mon ami c'est vrai, ow you say beengo. Zay donts evun winning enuff to make us care if dey lose anymores.

BobF
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I went to the Hockey East Semi's and had the good fortune of speaking to one of the Assistant Coach's from another hockey east school. We had a very long conversation as I have known him for years.
He stated to me that UNH is in trouble, it was Lasonde's third job offer when he finally left, Providence, CC and Denvcer had all had come calling. Also he stated that Johnny Gaudreau wanted to come to UNH in the worst way and the fact the coaching staff had brought his transcript to admissions on Aug 1 and they wouldn't even look at it for Sept 1. He told me the new addmissions director I think he is from Cornell is awful. He said there is no way Matt White and Cam Reid should not of been let into school. He was offered the job at UNH as where a couple of other UNH Almumns. No one wanted it with the new admission's director.

He also said Sean McDonald is loosing assistants because of it, and men's basketball had 5-6 kids staring on other Div 1 rosters who commited to UNH and couldn't get into school.

Someone shoudl tell admissions and the president that we are not an IVY league school. The rookie of the year from America East in basketball was at Vermont, but yet couldn't get into UNH. Go Figure!!!

I know I will get into trouble as a Maine fan who reside in NH, and has several friends who are UNH alums. But hockeydad2005 has me wondering in terms of credibility. There are more spelling errors in this thread than any I have ever witnessed. If he is talking about admissions issues and if he is the standard bearer, no way he gets into my school. He does not even spell Lassonde's name right. Having survived 4 years of Maine missing the NCAA's I don't see UNH following suit especially with DeSmith in net! Liked your effort vs. Maine in the last game of the year. As for a Cornell admissions officer, Cornell is in the tournament again, has not slowed them down.

WIrinkrat
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
As for a Cornell admissions officer, Cornell is in the tournament again, has not slowed them down.

I hope there was an element of irony or sarcasm intended with this statement that I missed...because I'd hope that I don't have to explain to you what a ridiculous statement that is?

sonar
03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Re: Official UNH Wildcats Offseason Thread 2012

[QUOTE=sonar;5405698]
Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
Random thoughts:
They wanted his head when the team was playing in the Garden, regionals and occasional FF. The Fire Dick Umile crew is conspicuously absent.
/QUOTE]

You should'nt poke an old sleeping animal. He might wake up and say " that the absence is a function of the distinct possibility that fewer and fewer UNH fans care anymore". He might also reiterate what was overheard while leaving the Whit .... "How about that - a coach who has not 'finished' in over 20 years complaining in the newspaper about the players he recruited not being able to finish."

C'est vrai mon ami c'est vrai, ow you say beengo. Zay donts evun winning enuff to make us care if dey lose anymores.

When even the "apologists" refrain from posting .... you get a sense that the horses have left the barn and the latch is on the door, Old fans know down deep that the fire still burns, they still care, no matter their efforts to not care. However, perhaps they also sense that there comes a time when all fire pits needs to be moved, fresh wood located, and the flame rekindled. It is a natural process .... it's not rocket science.

bomberhockey
03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I know I will get into trouble as a Maine fan who reside in NH, and has several friends who are UNH alums. But hockeydad2005 has me wondering in terms of credibility. There are more spelling errors in this thread than any I have ever witnessed. If he is talking about admissions issues and if he is the standard bearer, no way he gets into my school. He does not even spell Lassonde's name right. Having survived 4 years of Maine missing the NCAA's I don't see UNH following suit especially with DeSmith in net! Liked your effort vs. Maine in the last game of the year. As for a Cornell admissions officer, Cornell is in the tournament again, has not slowed them down.
Don't shoot the messenger, it was said that Einstein couldn't spell. MAybe UNH needs to get the new Cornell admissions officer so they can get back in the Tourney. Johnny Gaudreau tourney MVP, that is more salt in the wound. Huddleston should be over in admissions rattling some cages.

goblue
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
How certain is it that Gaudreau wanted to attend UNH? Are we relying upon hearsay, or is it a known fact?
(And I'll bet Einstein spelled better when writing in German vs English.) ;)

C-H-C
03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
How certain is it that Gaudreau wanted to attend UNH? Are we relying upon hearsay, or is it a known fact?
John Gaudreau, his younger brother Matt, and their Dad visited UNH on Friday July 29, 2011. They had visited UVM the day before. My understanding is that John wanted to commit to UNH that day but the UNH Admissions Office would not even look at an application from him. To date, I have not heard an explanation for why the Admissions people would not review an application from Gaudreau.

One possibility is that the Admissions Dept decided it was too late for anyone - athlete or not - to apply for admission for the Fall of 2011. If so, that decision would seem to be somewhat arbitrary. Remember, on July 18, 2011, just two weeks before the Gaudreau's visited UNH, Casey Thrush was admitted as a last minute replacement for Dan Correale. Correale was set to come to UNH in Sept. 2011 but had to postpone enrollment for one year due to surgery. Thrush was not planning on coming to UNH until Sept. 2012 so I assume he did not submit an application to the Admissions Office until shortly before July 18, 2011.

The straightforward account is John Gaudreau and his brother visited UNH, the coaching staff offered him a scholarship on the spot, Gaudreau wanted to come to UNH, but the UNH Admissions Office would not accept an application from him. The following day, Saturday July 30, the Gaudreau's visited BC, BU, and Northeastern in that order. On Thursday, August 4, John Gaudreau accepted an offer to play at BC.

WIrinkrat
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
John Gaudreau, his younger brother Matt, and their Dad visited UNH on Friday July 29, 2011. They had visited UVM the day before. My understanding is that John wanted to commit to UNH that day but the UNH Admissions Office would not even look at an application from him. To date, I have not heard an explanation for why the Admissions people would not review an application from Gaudreau.

One possibility is that the Admissions Dept decided it was too late for anyone - athlete or not - to apply for admission for the Fall of 2011. If so, that decision would seem to be somewhat arbitrary. Remember, on July 18, 2011, just two weeks before the Gaudreau's visited UNH, Casey Thrush was admitted as a last minute replacement for Dan Correale. Correale was set to come to UNH in Sept. 2011 but had to postpone enrollment for one year due to surgery. Thrush was not planning on coming to UNH until Sept. 2012 so I assume he did not submit an application to the Admissions Office until shortly before July 18, 2011.

The straightforward account is John Gaudreau and his brother visited UNH, the coaching staff offered him a scholarship on the spot, Gaudreau wanted to come to UNH, but the UNH Admissions Office would not accept an application from him. The following day, Saturday July 30, the Gaudreau's visited BC, BU, and Northeastern in that order. On Thursday, August 4, John Gaudreau accepted an offer to play at BC.

State schools that have no money should be accepting kids right up through the first week of classes whether they are a star athlete or not. That is a serious mistake on many levels.

hockeydad2005
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I wonder if huddleston or scarrano where ever brought in on this, if so then more serious problems exist...As far as my spelling forgive me am typing from a phone.

carltonbarrett
03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
How certain is it that Gaudreau wanted to attend UNH? Are we relying upon hearsay, or is it a known fact?
(And I'll bet Einstein spelled better when writing in German vs English.) ;)

I was wondering the same thing as it would be somewhat surprising for such an elite player to commit to UNH on the spot, while on a recruiting trip to look at several schools, including BC and BU, (which quite frankly, with no disrespect to UNH, are a bit more prestigious/successful than UNH when it comes to hockey and the school in general) without even making those visits. Again, maybe it is the way it went down, but just seems a bit odd to me, especially when you hear him saying that playing for BC is a dream come true for him.

boblav1
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
What was the story with Joey LaLeggia? Why did he end up at Denver instead of UNH? He had a great year, WCHA rookie of the year, CHN just named him NCAA Rookie of the year.

Greg Ambrose
03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
John Gaudreau, his younger brother Matt, and their Dad visited UNH on Friday July 29, 2011. They had visited UVM the day before. My understanding is that John wanted to commit to UNH that day but the UNH Admissions Office would not even look at an application from him. To date, I have not heard an explanation for why the Admissions people would not review an application from Gaudreau.

One possibility is that the Admissions Dept decided it was too late for anyone - athlete or not - to apply for admission for the Fall of 2011. If so, that decision would seem to be somewhat arbitrary. Remember, on July 18, 2011, just two weeks before the Gaudreau's visited UNH, Casey Thrush was admitted as a last minute replacement for Dan Correale. Correale was set to come to UNH in Sept. 2011 but had to postpone enrollment for one year due to surgery. Thrush was not planning on coming to UNH until Sept. 2012 so I assume he did not submit an application to the Admissions Office until shortly before July 18, 2011.

The straightforward account is John Gaudreau and his brother visited UNH, the coaching staff offered him a scholarship on the spot, Gaudreau wanted to come to UNH, but the UNH Admissions Office would not accept an application from him. The following day, Saturday July 30, the Gaudreau's visited BC, BU, and Northeastern in that order. On Thursday, August 4, John Gaudreau accepted an offer to play at BC.

CHC, your time line is impressive. You could have added that week later Lassonde made the decision to leave for Denver. I was in Ireland on a great vacation when this all came down. When I got back and found out Lassonde had left I called a mutual friend who basically told me the same story that CHC has recounted. Over the course of several months, talking to various people who are more in the know than I am, it appears that admissions has been giving all sports programs at UNH a more difficult time than in the past. On top of that, I had someone else tell me that the new admissions director who btw came from Cornell via Worcester State, has had a rocky relationship with at least one guidance counselor at a large New Hampshire high school.

If the part about Gaudreau is true and if it is just one example of what is going on these days in admissions vis a vis athletics, it says to me that UNH under Huddleston is going to assume a different philosophy when accepting students, athletes and probably non-athletes alike. It means that Scarano, Umile, McDonnell and all the rest are not going to have quite the clout that they have had in the past. And frankly, based on what I know about the hockey team, I am puzzled. I'll admit that not every kid who skates for UNH is a budding Rhodes Scholar, but the program has had an impressive graduation rate over the years and there have been several players who have really distinguished themselves in the classroom - Flaishans and Regan just to name a couple of recent examples.

If this is the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future, then you have to wonder how UNH is going to compete. As Watcher has pointed out many times, UNH recruiting has had several missteps in the past few years. If the job was difficult up to now, how is it going to be down the road when it appears the talent pool that can be accepted at UNH will be even narrower than it has been?