Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: # days until Jutting is collecting unemnployment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Good job Kato. Hastings is a great hire.

Maybe Blais is sticking around longer than he lets on.
    Hard to pass on the opportunity now, for nothing more than the possibility of an opportunity later. I'm not convinced that UNO is one of those premiere programs that it is worth waiting around for with to much uncertainty with how things will shake out with the NCHC and if UNO slots as a perennial contender in that league.

Comment

Hastings is the only finalist they're announcing right now? What is up with that? Sounds like they're putting all their eggs in the Hastings Basket (for now). Let's hope he accepts if an offer is made.

Comment

I'm not convinced that UNO is one of those premiere programs that it is worth waiting around for with to much uncertainty with how things will shake out with the NCHC and if UNO slots as a perennial contender in that league.
        I can't figure out why you leave a program, going into one of the premier leagues, you are almost guaranteed to be the next head coach in the next five years to go coach at a program that is joining the rest of the leftovers of college hockey.

Lets just say I would be very surprised if Hastings left.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Maverick Hockey Time View Post
          I can't figure out why you leave a program, going into one of the premier leagues, you are almost guaranteed to be the next head coach in the next five years to go coach at a program that is joining the rest of the leftovers of college hockey.

Because it isn't guaranteed that he will be the next head coach at UNO when Blais leaves. Add to that UNO could end up as a cellar dweller in the NCHC. There are only 59 head coaching jobs in all of D1 hockey and they don't come open all that often (Listed teams that are in or will be in the WCHA):

FSU: Daniels 20 seasons
          DU: Gwozdecky 18 seasons
          UMN: Lucia 13 seasons
          CC: Owens 13 seasons
          UMD: Sandelin 12 seasons
          BSU: Serratore 11 seasons
          UW: Eaves 10 seasons
          NMU: Kyle 10 seasons
          UND: Hakstol 8 seasons
          SCSU: Motzko 7 seasons
          UAA: Shyiak 7 seasons
          LSSU: Roque 7 seasons
          UA(F): Ferguson 4 seasons
          UNO: Blais 3 seasons
          BGSU: Bergeron 2 seasons
          MTU: Pearson 1 season

Not a lot of turnover in head coaching jobs, when one comes available it's not an opportunity that can be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            What is this introducing a candidate to the media and not naming him the coach? An open session with the media?
            Maybe State laws or university rules about posting the job.

Originally posted by It's Maverick Hockey Time View Post

Lucia = Fairbanks ---> CC ---> MN

Gwozdecky = WIS (RF) ---> MIA ---> DU

York = Clarkson ---> BG ---> BC

Mel Pearson = Michigan Tech ---> Michigan [2015]
            Last edited by dggoddard; 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by It's Maverick Hockey Time View Post

Almington's post says it best.

This is the only coaching vacancy at all of the schools. It's a rare opportunity, especially this year.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Because it isn't guaranteed that he will be the next head coach at UNO when Blais leaves. Add to that UNO could end up as a cellar dweller in the NCHC. There are only 59 head coaching jobs in all of D1 hockey and they don't come open all that often (Listed teams that are in or will be in the WCHA):

FSU: Daniels 20 seasons
                DU: Gwozdecky 18 seasons
                UMN: Lucia 13 seasons
                CC: Owens 13 seasons
                UMD: Sandelin 12 seasons
                BSU: Serratore 11 seasons
                UW: Eaves 10 seasons
                NMU: Kyle 10 seasons
                UND: Hakstol 8 seasons
                SCSU: Motzko 7 seasons
                UAA: Shyiak 7 seasons
                LSSU: Roque 7 seasons
                UA(F): Ferguson 4 seasons
                UNO: Blais 3 seasons
                BGSU: Bergeron 2 seasons
                MTU: Pearson 1 season

Not a lot of turnover in head coaching jobs, when one comes available it's not an opportunity that can be ignored.
                I think the difference is when you look at the names you listed, Blais is very likely the closest to being done. Which is why I can see why "It's Maverick Hockey Time" would have such questions.

There might be no guarantee that Hastings is the next guy but I think it is fair to say that the odds are pretty good given his connection to the area and the success he's had in front of the locals.
                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

As of 5pm today, Hastings has accepted the offer. Just got a campus email from Davenport.

Comment

Mike Hastings is the new coach at Minnesota State!
                    AF 99

Comment

A new era begins!
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/201...413124148.aspx
                        AF 99

Comment

From article

"We are extremely pleased to introduce Mike Hastings as our new men’s hockey head coach," said Dr. Richard Davenport, MSU President. "Mike brings a wealth of knowledge and experience from his work as an assistant coach and associate head coach within the Division I hockey ranks and comes to us with a history of unprecedented success at the junior hockey level. He has demonstrated a great ability to identify talent and is committed to developing student-athletes on the ice, in the classroom and in the community. We’re excited to begin this new era of Maverick Hockey under his leadership."
                          AF 99

Comment

I love this quote..

"I am extremely excited to have been selected as head coach of the Minnesota State men’s hockey program," said Hastings. "During this process I’ve been struck by the University’s commitment and expectations for excellence and those will be our tenets moving forward. I believe we can win here and we’re thrilled to get started with this new era of Maverick Hockey."
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Hastings (and probably Mike G) are not going anywhere.
                              Good analysis Suze!!!
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Good analysis Suze!!!
                                I'm really shocked. I thought Eades would get it, for sure.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X