2012 WCHA Final Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    So the CHN site hasn't accounted for the reseeding that will happen in St. Paul and most likely can't till tomorrow night. One question I have is why does SCSU get the later game being the lower seed? I know it has something to do with hockey law in Minnesota but I just want someone to recount the crazy *** home ice story for me.
    As FS23 said, it is because SCSU is locked in to the 4 or 5 seed. And since 4 plays 5 in the late game, no matter if they get 4 or 5 they are in the late game.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Re: 2012 WCHA Final Five

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
      If DU wins on SUN.... It would be DU/MTU on THR. Winner to play UMD..... UND/SCSU THR winner to play MN.

If UW wins on SUN.... It would be UND/UW on THR. Winner to play UMD..... SCSU/MTU THR to play MN.
      The game I'm talking about is Thursday night. Gophs are lounging in their hotel Petey.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Works for me.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          As FS23 said, it is because SCSU is locked in to the 4 or 5 seed. And since 4 plays 5 in the late game, no matter if they get 4 or 5 they are in the late game.
          Got it. Thanks. This crap makes me dizzy. Sounds like a standardized test word problem.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Is it Thursday yet???!!!
            There is Hope . . .

Comment

I wish....
              Originally posted by Skeeterman
              Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Agreed. If Wisconsin can win, the Final Five could set attendance records. It reminds me of the 2007 tournament with Wisconsin, Tech, Minnesota, SCSU, and UND...throw in Duluth and it will be even better (hopefully a slightly better outcome as well ) Of course, it also reminds me that this will be the second to last year of the Final Five...sigh...
                The only one I've missed is 1996 in Milwaukee, otherwise I've been to the other 23. It is a fabulous spectacle, even better than the Frozen Four because of two big pluses. First is that its rivalry matchups, blood rivalries in some cases. Second, the seats aren't taken up by NCAA sponsors and official parties who spend most of the weekend working in back rooms instead of watching the games - so its a virtual full house.

Lot of memories, starting with the vivid orange-red seats at the Civic Center in 1988. The ice really REALLY sucked that year. In the early 1990's, it also sucked to be almost alone wearing Sioux green in the middle of a sea of Badger and Gopher fans. But with UND now making its 10th consecutive trip, I'll have lots of company.

Favorite game memories:

1997 in overtime, Peter Armbrust cruising down the slot and a puck comes right to him for the GWG.

2001 Friday afternoon. First Sioux game at the X. Karl Goehring with the "header" on a puck that comes floating in on him.

2000 at Target Center. Sioux vs Badgers, and Ryan Bayda rocks a Badger D about 30 seconds in, setting the tone for a classic battle.

So many fabulous players, so many great games. All I can say is if you don't have tickets, come enjoy it. Its worth the drive.
                Last edited by Farce Poobah; 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I don't have the spare vacation to go on Thursday, but I'll have to deal with that later in the year when I run out, because I'm not missing Tech at the Final 5.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Agreed. If Wisconsin can win, the Final Five could set attendance records. It reminds me of the 2007 tournament with Wisconsin, Tech, Minnesota, SCSU, and UND...throw in Duluth and it will be even better (hopefully a slightly better outcome as well ) Of course, it also reminds me that this will be the second to last year of the Final Five...sigh...
                    I have to agree with everyone about how it sucks there will only be two of these left. Although I haven't been going as long as some people, my wife and I have been going every year since I got out of the military and got back to Minnesota. It's always been a weekend we both look forward to all year (even if St. Cloud doesn't end up being there).

As far as the final team waiting to get in, Lets go Red. Should be a great year for attendance no matter who gets in though.

Comment

Cannot wait! One of my favorite weekends of the year.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I'm excited to be going again for the first time in about 3 years. Nothing else like it.
                        This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                        www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Come on Badgers. That would be the icing on the cake for the Final Five at the X.

Comment

So I forget...this thing is set up as a bracket now, right? Let's say it's UND vs. UW & SCSU vs. MTU. If UW beats UND, they'd still play UMD on Friday afternoon even though they're a lower seed than both pairs of Huskies?
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Yes, that is true
                              This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                              www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyredshoes View Post
                                Yes, that is true
                                I'm OK with that. I'd love another shot at the Gophers if we can win the Thursday game.
                                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X