Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 WCHA Final Five

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    The X should be packed to the rafters with the teams that have made it so far... good times.
    Agreed. If Wisconsin can win, the Final Five could set attendance records. It reminds me of the 2007 tournament with Wisconsin, Tech, Minnesota, SCSU, and UND...throw in Duluth and it will be even better (hopefully a slightly better outcome as well ) Of course, it also reminds me that this will be the second to last year of the Final Five...sigh...
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I am pulling for Wisconsin tomorrow night, because they bring lots of people as well. On Wisconsin!
      SCSU!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Agreed. If Wisconsin can win, the Final Five could set attendance records. It reminds me of the 2007 tournament with Wisconsin, Tech, Minnesota, SCSU, and UND...throw in Duluth and it wil be even better (hopefully a slightly better outcome as well ) Of course, it also reminds me that this will be the second to last year of the Final Five...sigh...
        Agreed across the board. Even if Denver wins, it will be nuts, if Wisco makes it, look out.

And definitely a bummer that we've only got two of these left. I started back in 97 for the last time at the civic center, missed 98 in Milwaukee, but have been at every game since. I'm going to miss this Last year before the championship game, I was talking with some Sioux fans who asked me what I though was going to happen with the B10, and I said I thought it was unforunately inevitable. I just wish I'd beeen wrong.

Comment

Agreed. If Wisconsin can win, the Final Five could set attendance records. It reminds me of the 2007 tournament with Wisconsin, Tech, Minnesota, SCSU, and UND...throw in Duluth and it will be even better (hopefully a slightly better outcome as well ) Of course, it also reminds me that this will be the second to last year of the Final Five...sigh...
          Great point and it's a shame really, this is the premier tourney in the country IMO and to see it go away is pretty sad.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Husky4Life View Post
            I am pulling for Wisconsin tomorrow night, because they bring lots of people as well. On Wisconsin!
            Fear the Huskie!,,,
            There is Hope . . .

Comment

If Denver wins tomorrow, and then falls to Duluth on Friday, the Sioux have a chance to pull off what would be an impressive 7 game win streak against Mankato, Bemidji, SCSU, Minnesota, and Duluth to win the Broadmoor (DQ Cup) Trophy. I'm not sure if 7 straight wins over solely Minnesota teams has ever occurred before?

The things you come up with late at night
              North Dakota

Comment

so, no matter the outcome of Sconnie/Denver, SCSU plays Thursday evening?
                This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                www.***********/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyredshoes View Post
                  so, no matter the outcome of Sconnie/Denver, SCSU plays Thursday evening?
                  Correct. The Denver/Wisconsin winner is guaranteed Thursday afternoon. SCSU is guaranteed Thursday evening, as the Huskies will be either the #4 or #5 seed (after reseeding for the Final Five) depending on the DU series, and the 4/5 matchup plays Thursday evening.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Correct. The Denver/Wisconsin winner is guaranteed Thursday afternoon. SCSU is guaranteed Thursday evening, as the Huskies will be either the #4 or #5 seed (after reseeding for the Final Five) depending on the DU series, and the 4/5 matchup plays Thursday evening.
                    According to the bracket on CHN winner of DU v UW gets the Cloudies. UMD gets the second bye. Who the hell knows if it's right. CHN site is always full of glitches.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/rep...?c=6&d=bracket
                    Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-11-2012, 12:11 AM.
                    Go Pioneers!

Comment

All I know is that if WI wins, you will have the "best" F5 combo in play, as far as fanbase and how they travel.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                        According to the bracket on CHN winner of DU v UW gets the Cloudies. UMD gets the second bye. Who the hell knows if it's right. CHN site is always full of glitches.

If DU wins on SUN.... It would be DU/MTU on THR. Winner to play UMD..... UND/SCSU THR winner to play MN.

If UW wins on SUN.... It would be UND/UW on THR. Winner to play UMD..... SCSU/MTU THR to play MN.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's completely wrong.

The #3/#6 matchup is Thursday Afternoon. The #4/#5 matchup is Thursday Evening.

If Denver Wins:
                          #1 - Minnesota
                          #2 - Duluth
                          #3 - Denver
                          #4 - UND
                          #5 - SCSU
                          #6 - Tech

Denver vs. Tech - Thursday Afternoon
                          UND vs. SCSU - Thursday Evening

If Wisconsin Wins:
                          #1 - Minnesota
                          #2 - Duluth
                          #3 - UND
                          #4 - SCSU
                          #5 - Tech
                          #6 - Wisconsin

UND vs. Wisconsin - Thursday Afternoon
                          Tech vs. SCSU - Thursday Evening
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                            If DU wins on SUN.... It would be DU/MTU on THR. Winner to play UMD..... UND/SCSU THR winner to play MN.

If UW wins on SUN.... It would be UND/UW on THR. Winner to play UMD..... SCSU/MTU THR to play MN.
                            So the CHN site hasn't accounted for the reseeding that will happen in St. Paul and most likely can't till tomorrow night. One question I have is why does SCSU get the later game being the lower seed? I know it has something to do with hockey law in Minnesota but I just want someone to recount the crazy *** home ice story for me.
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

So the CHN site hasn't accounted for the reseeding that will happen in St. Paul and most likely can't till tomorrow night. One question I have is why does SCSU get the later game being the lower seed? I know it has something to do with hockey law in Minnesota but I just want someone to recount the crazy *** home ice story for me.
                              Minnesota always plays the late game and since they are the 1 seed they play the winner of the 4/5 game.
                              While some schools need to restock the cupboards with talent every 2 or 3 years, UND just builds more cupboards!!

The most storied program in the history of college hockey, the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX!

Comment

SCSU gets the later game because they will be either the #4 or #5 seed after reseeding. The Minnesota Rule is a rule voted on by the rest of the WCHA teams (usually Minnesota votes against it) that states that Minnesota will get to play in the evening session at the Final Five regardless of their seed. That used to lead to some unfair circumstances where the winner of the play-in game under the old Final Five format would play Thursday evening and then again Friday Afternoon. To account for such disadvantages, the WCHA Final Five Quarterfinals now match up with when the winners of those games play on Friday. Because Minnesota is the #1 seed this year, there is no change to the preferred format. However, if Minnesota was the #2, then the #3/6 matchup would be played Thursday evening, so the winner would have 24ish hours to prepare for Minnesota. Similarly, if the Gophers were the #3 or #6 seed, the 3/6 matchup would be Thursday evening, and the winner would play the #2 seed Friday evening whether the Gophers won or lost the Quarterfinal on Thursday. If the Gophers are the #4 or #5 seed, then the tournament will be set up in the preferred manner (i.e. #3/6 in the afternoon with the winner play #2 Friday Afternoon, and #4/5 playing in the evening with the winner playing #1 Friday evening.).

People ***** about it, but it is your school (unless you're a Minnesota fan, in which case you probably aren't *****ing about it) that votes in this manner to allow it. Personally, I could care less.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X