Rush Hockey / Prospect Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Hockey / Prospect Hockey

Does anyne have experience or insight into these? My daughter received an email from Rush Hockey inviting her to their event in Toronto. Money grab or something to look further into? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Rush Hockey / Prospect Hockey

Rush was not around when my daughter went to Prospects a few years ago. The contacts and exposure there was invaluable there. Those contacts and exposure lead to her playing college hockey.

Kelley K. was at Prospects then and mow runs the Rush camp, and IMHO this is a good thing to look at. The price is reasonable and the exposure there will be good. I have talked to several coaches and they have confirmed that they will be there this summer.

Comment

This is a great program. I think you will be pleased with the results. The kids learn something and there have been alot of coaches/scouts at the events for the games. The kids get a lot of looks. I personaly have met many coaches at the seminars they put on and also have met them while watching the games. My daughter will be playinging the college futures this year.
      Kelly runs the camp and he is one of the most informed guys I know. When my daughter got a invite I called him and asked how he knew my daughter. He told me the team she played with, the tournaments he had seen her play in and he knew some of her querks. If you ask him about a North American girl there is a ninety percent chance he can talk about her with authority.
      If your daughter was invited to attend his camp she is more than likely a decent player. I could go on. Very pleased that my daughter attended the camps.

Comment

Originally posted by pennpapa View Post
        This is a great program. I think you will be pleased with the results. The kids learn something and there have been alot of coaches/scouts at the events for the games. The kids get a lot of looks. I personaly have met many coaches at the seminars they put on and also have met them while watching the games. My daughter will be playinging the college futures this year.
        Kelly runs the camp and he is one of the most informed guys I know. When my daughter got a invite I called him and asked how he knew my daughter. He told me the team she played with, the tournaments he had seen her play in and he knew some of her querks. If you ask him about a North American girl there is a ninety percent chance he can talk about her with authority.
        If your daughter was invited to attend his camp she is more than likely a decent player. I could go on. Very pleased that my daughter attended the camps.
        Rush Hockey, new this year, is run by Kelly K who used run the Girls division at Prospects. Essentially Rush is the replacement for Prospects Toronto, held in early June. Kelly K also runs the revamped Beantown tournament, essentially similar format.

Comment

The Prospect program is no longer in business *** the website sayys canceled. Kelly did run that program and has now started on his own with Rush as you say.

the program is basically the same and the results last year were good.

Comment

I know of a whole Bantam AA team that was invited, granted they are a good team but not every player would be considered an elite player. It's good exposure, but like in games top players will stand out and be approached, the bottom will mostly be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
              Does anyne have experience or insight into these? My daughter received an email from Rush Hockey inviting her to their event in Toronto. Money grab or something to look further into? Thanks in advance for any advice.
              I could give you the long version, but the short version is there are already 425 top girls who have signed up individually from all over Canada and the US for the Rush Showcase that will start 3 months from now. My guess is that a large % of them played last year (technically in Prospects) and are returning this year. How is that for insight?

Comment

Based on my daughter's experience with Prospects, my advice is this: Kelly runs a great program, but there are a lot of girls. If your daughter shows up and plays, don't expect too many coaches to notice her. If she is such a stand out that they do notice her, she probably doesn't even need to attend. With that said, once she signs up and is accepted, I would recommend she send a note to every school she might be interested in to let them know she is playing in the event and would like them to watch her play.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                  Based on my daughter's experience with Prospects, my advice is this: Kelly runs a great program, but there are a lot of girls. If your daughter shows up and plays, don't expect too many coaches to notice her. If she is such a stand out that they do notice her, she probably doesn't even need to attend. With that said, once she signs up and is accepted, I would recommend she send a note to every school she might be interested in to let them know she is playing in the event and would like them to watch her play.
                  Agree...if you haven't had much of a sniff, play it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                    My D played at Prospects for the past three years.

The positives for the program are that there are dozens upon dozens of D1, D3 and CIS coaches and assitant coaches in attendance and they are actually on the benches during games. The coaches rotate through so you will be able to speak directly to 4 or 5 different coaches directly. The location is great in that once you are there, there is no need to shuttle from venue to venue. Kelly is an incredible wealth of knowledge and is someone that both D and parent's should get to know. He repeatedly contacted my D to let her know which schools were asking about her. The Coaches also respect him as he is a straight shooter, which helps them in their jobs.

The main negative is the disparity in talent that attends. You will have PWHL players on the same team as First year Bantam A players. Kelly does a great job of scouting games and is usually bang on but he doesn't see all the players. One year my D played with 4 members of a St. Louis Bantam AA team that would have been categorized as a BB team here. That can be frustrating.

All in all it is a great experience. There are not too many situations where players can be scouted by so many coaches at the same time. One critical bit of info here is that it can be wasted if the player and the parents stand by waiting for something to happen. Do your homework, send some emails out and introduce yourselves.

Cali
                    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                      My D played at Prospects for the past three years.

The positives for the program are that there are dozens upon dozens of D1, D3 and CIS coaches and assitant coaches in attendance and they are actually on the benches during games. The coaches rotate through so you will be able to speak directly to 4 or 5 different coaches directly. The location is great in that once you are there, there is no need to shuttle from venue to venue. Kelly is an incredible wealth of knowledge and is someone that both D and parent's should get to know. He repeatedly contacted my D to let her know which schools were asking about her. The Coaches also respect him as he is a straight shooter, which helps them in their jobs.

The main negative is the disparity in talent that attends. You will have PWHL players on the same team as First year Bantam A players. Kelly does a great job of scouting games and is usually bang on but he doesn't see all the players. One year my D played with 4 members of a St. Louis Bantam AA team that would have been categorized as a BB team here. That can be frustrating.

All in all it is a great experience. There are not too many situations where players can be scouted by so many coaches at the same time. One critical bit of info here is that it can be wasted if the player and the parents stand by waiting for something to happen. Do your homework, send some emails out and introduce yourselves.

Cali
                      NoGo, pennpapa, OnMaa, Canadahockey26, 96 IllioisDad,Spike, CanHockGuy, Cali...thank you all VERY much for shedding some light on this topic for me. We'll definitely try it and see where it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X