NCAA Quarterfinals: St. Lawrence @ Boston College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinals: St. Lawrence @ Boston College

Thrilled about the doubleheader on Saturday. If BC wasn't hosting this game I wouldn't be heading up to BC this weekend.

As Joe mentioned to me yesterday, this has to be the first game in BC's history that we will be favored in an NCAA tournament game.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: NCAA Quarterfinals: St. Lawrence @ Boston College

Well the poll on this board doesn't think you're the favorite so far, but I agree it's probably the best chance anyone's ever given you.

Comment

If I recall correctly from my browse through their schedule I don't think SLU has lost to a nonranked team since, I think, Nov. 17. BC's overall goal differential is +31, SLU's is +41. I expect a slugfest.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Well, that settles that. Board poll says we're not favored. Logic follows that SLU is more likely to win than BC.

It's science.

Comment

But KRACH likes you better. So there's that.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            But KRACH likes you better. So there's that.
            Obviously they forgot to re-calculate the KRACH formula to include the results of the USCHO Fan Forum poll. Someone notify Mr. Krach. (I like to imagine that the person who invented KRACH is named Krach.)
            -

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
              If I recall correctly from my browse through their schedule I don't think SLU has lost to a nonranked team since, I think, Nov. 17. BC's overall goal differential is +31, SLU's is +41. I expect a slugfest.
              That was the last time they lost to any team that isn't named Cornell. They have lost exactly 2 games since then. played Cornell 3 times and are 1-2 but won when it counted most. They also tied Clarkson once. But I would say they are underrated and may surprise BC.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                That was the last time they lost to any team that isn't named Cornell. They have lost exactly 2 games since then. played Cornell 3 times and are 1-2 but won when it counted most. They also tied Clarkson once. But I would say they are underrated and may surprise BC.
                One of those wins was against bc here in Boston. They are not suprising them.

Comment

I don't think anyone on BC will be surprised by what they see from St Lawrence since they came to Boston and beat BC in January. This is not going to be like last year against Minnesota, when people like ARM thought BC shouldn't even show up. ;-).

Relatedly, reports out of my calendar in the lower right-hand corner of my screen indicate that it's only Tuesday and the game isn't until Saturday. That seems like an almost impossible wait. Boo.

So I know all about SLU's goalie. But I know very little about their attack. How are they going to attack BC and who will be the players to watch?
                  -

Comment

This is not going to be like last year against Minnesota, when people like ARM thought BC shouldn't even show up. ;-).
                    I still think it would have been better if they hadn't.

Brad Frost touched on that at Minnesota's post-game media conference Saturday night. I don't have the exact quote, but the crux was that a lot of people were telling him when the brackets were announced last year that it was a good first-round matchup for UM, and then they went to Boston and got their butts kicked.

Comment

So I know all about SLU's goalie.
                      Five years ago, Mar/07, almost to the day, she was a 14 year old in goal for Team Nova Scotia in Whitehorse, Yukon at The Canada Winter Games...ie: the U-17 National Championship!

Think about that for a minute.

Her team didn't do that well but I couldn't help wondering what was going through her mind at that young age with national television coverage, media everywhere, scouts/coaches from all over North America hanging from the rafters, the town abuzz (is that a word?) with the event.

She appeared scared, (possibly just in awe), not by her play, but by the look in her eyes...and if that was true it was certainly understandable.

It's interesting to ponder how the wealth of that experience will benefit her this Saturday.

Comment

NCAA Quarterfinals: St. Lawrence @ Boston College

MacDonald, of course, won the MVP (over Sabatine, IMHO.)

Here are Sabatine results in ECAC:
                        (I, as I said, expected Sabatine to get MVP. I, however, wasn't there.)

Can you top this (her unbelievable record):

* Five (5) of eleven (11) SLU goals in ECAC tourney;

* First, of possible three games (all at Dartmouth) against Dartmouth: 4-3 win in OT; two (2) goals (OT winning goal.)
                        * Second, of possible three games against Dartmouth: 2-0 win; one (1) assist.
                        * Harvard (one game- at Harvard): 2-0 win; both goals (including OT winner.)
                        * Cornell (one game- at Cornell): 3-1 win; one goal (winning goal- with 18:10 gone in the third period.)

I saw them play at Quinnipiac. Q. seemed to have game in hand. Late, SLU tied, then put it away.
                        Seemed some effortless. I said to my brother, "What was that?"

On her line: Karell Emard (#76). Has in SLU stats, thirteen goals and twenty two assists (35 points); is third in scoring behind Sabintine (46 points). Is something like a post-grad player. I was very impressed with her.
                        Big, older- seemed comfortable on ice, at her position.

I think you- BC, discount such as SLU, Clarkson, etc. ALL ECAC.
                        Might be a good ploy. During reg. season BC seems 'sloppy' at times, as well.
                        But when the rubber meets the road, you all (clearly, I think) wake up.
                        So earlier results (against SLU) don't persuade me.

I am TERRIBLE at slections! Invariably hunch wrong.
                        But I am going (against my brother- please don't tell him) to pick BC.

"Pap, likes us over SLU!"
                        May be kiss of death...

Comment

In my experience, performance in the quarters usually isn't considered when voting for the all-tourney team, because that round took place at a different location not viewed by those giving out the awards. For SLU, it is a good problem to have -- MacDonald was great, and so was Sabatine.

I'm a little surprised that SLU has been the higher scoring team between these two on the season. I thought BC was more potent earlier, but the Eagles' production seems to have tapered off.

Comment

Can I do a little shameless plugging?

I can?

Cool.

NCAA Tournament Preview

Please let me know if I have any glaring factual screw-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Please let me know if I have any glaring factual screw-ups.
                              It's Lamoureux-Kolls, not Knolls. Beyond that, the odds are you will improve on your picking percentage from the Hockey East Tournament, and that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X