Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Hockey City? Chicago? Really????
    Hey, I'm with you, Chicago is not Hockey City, we all know that is Madison WI.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Hey, I'm with you, Chicago is not Hockey City, we all know that is Madison WI.
      It's too bad more players don't come out of the Chicago area with the numbers they have if even a slightly larger percentage of kids started playing hockey the American talent pool could really benefit.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Oh this has Barry's fingerprints all over it.

And who knows if it will turn a profit... The Camp Randall game barely did.
        Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Kind of funny hearing Chicago referred to as hockey city in terms of college hockey.

Is this Eaves idea? It sounds more like Alvarez to me. At least you're expected to recoup your gate income.

It's an events/marketing company that is staging it. I'm guessing that the four teams were asked if they wanted to do it and they said yes.

Of course Minnesota was probably the only team against it...

Comment

Maturi will be quoted as saying that it's not in the best interest of college hockey in general. He will give this quote while standing in line at the bank with a check from the event.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
            I'm sure I'll end up going to the game, but I'm pretty worn out on outdoor games.

I was good with them after the Lambeau game. It was fun... once. And Lambeau was the perfect place for it.

I'll be skipping this one just like the Camp Randall game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Feel free to keep your stalking skills sharp. I think I speak for everyone here by saying we'll take as much of this as we can get.
              Unfortunately, that's probably the only report you'll get from me as even though I'm in and out of rinks around here all summer and have been for the past 18 years, that's only about the third time I've ever been there when the team was.

In addition, I couldn't really tell who any of them were as they didn't even have numbers on. Just red or white (pretty sweet looking) practice jerseys with a motion W on the front.

Maybe I can take a roll of masking tape and a sharpie and put their names on their helmets. It'd be funny to call them all over to the bench and try and explain that one to them.

One final note: They looked GIGANTIC on that smallish ice surface. That's my son's organization's home ice and I'm used to seeing pee wees and bantams out there.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Maturi will be quoted as saying that it's not in the best interest of college hockey in general. He will give this quote while standing in line at the bank with a check from the event.
                You were wrong about Barry's original position on Big Ten hockey...and a later accusation that Maturi's disapproval was strickly for show. Are you sure that you want to go to the well yet again?
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Was I really wrong about the latter? Maybe he has a personal opinion about the BTHC as a fan, but given his total lack of influence on the decision and the fact that Minnesota gains truckloads of money from their B1G affiliation that they wouldn't get otherwise...
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Was I really wrong about the latter? Maybe he has a personal opinion about the BTHC as a fan, but given his total lack of influence on the decision and the fact that Minnesota gains truckloads of money from their B1G affiliation that they wouldn't get otherwise...
                    Before Penn State and Big Ten formation? Maturi/Minnesota had all the influence. They shut down Barry's attempt to investigate realignment.
                    After Penn State and Big Ten formation? There was no resistance or hesitation from Maturi or at Minnesota.

So the only time there was any resistance on Maturi's part...it was real and stopped realignment.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

You were wrong about Barry's original position on Big Ten hockey...and a later accusation that Maturi's disapproval was strickly for show. Are you sure that you want to go to the well yet again?

Pretty sure it was a joke/jab...

This whole forum is about going to the well. Over and over and over and over...

See - paint thinner

Lighten up.

Comment

Before Penn State and Big Ten formation? Maturi/Minnesota had all the influence. They shut down Barry's attempt to investigate realignment.
                        After Penn State and Big Ten formation? There was no resistance or hesitation from Maturi or at Minnesota.

So the only time there was any resistance on Maturi's part...it was real and stopped realignment.
                        I'm not sure I understand your argument. So Maturi was against it when it wasn't going to happen anyway, but then put up no resistance when there was nothing he could do about?

When there were only five teams, the big 10 schools would have been stupid to create a big 10 conference since they would not have received an auto-bid. Or was Notre Dame going to make the leap back then? Maybe Barry was pushing it for his own reasons, but that just didn't make sense. More fantasy of happening then reality of happening. Once PSU was on board, it was an eventuality and yes, it didn't matter what anyone thought. I will admit, I didn't pay attention to all the details until it was going to happen for sure, but that last post didn't make sense to me.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                          I'm not sure I understand your argument. So Maturi was against it when it wasn't going to happen anyway, but then put up no resistance when there was nothing he could do about?

When there were only five teams, the big 10 schools would have been stupid to create a big 10 conference since they would not have received an auto-bid. Or was Notre Dame going to make the leap back then? Maybe Barry was pushing it for his own reasons, but that just didn't make sense. More fantasy of happening then reality of happening. Once PSU was on board, it was an eventuality and yes, it didn't matter what anyone thought. I will admit, I didn't pay attention to all the details until it was going to happen for sure, but that last post didn't make sense to me.
                          It was a very real option the first time realignment was proposed, but without Minnesota on board, it didn't happen. Once Penn State elevated their program to D1, Minnesota was powerless to stop it unless they wanted to be kicked out of he Big Ten entirely. Do you honestly think the Big Ten would have let Minnesota stay in the conference for football and basketball if they were solely responsible for stopping the formation of a Big Ten Hockey Conference that every other conference school wanted?

Minnesota had leverage the first time realignment was proposed. They had very little leverage once Penn State joined. Maturi has never been in favor of realignment. That has never changed.

What's done is done. Let's just move on.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Before PSU anounced they were adding their program, Barry was on the record as stating that UW should go INDEPENDENT in Hockey.

As for the chicago game, I can't see any reason that Maturi would object, it isn't like UMN is giving up a Saturday home game against a major rival.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              Before PSU anounced they were adding their program, Barry was on the record as stating that UW should go INDEPENDENT in Hockey.

As for the chicago game, I can't see any reason that Maturi would object, it isn't like UMN is giving up a Saturday home game against a major rival.
                              I agree. I see no reason why Minnesota should or could object to an outdoor game. Especially against a big rival like Wisconsin. Should be a blast!
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

FWIW, if you're going to blame (I guess that's the word) anyone for Wisconsin playing outdoor games, it's Eaves. Pretty simple to read between the lines on his quotes over the years to see that he's the one who is pushing for UW to pursue and accept these types of opportunities. Although on this one someone already pointed out that there is an outside company who is putting this together. Eaves has said that UW would like to play at least one every four seasons, and he uses it recruiting (& it works--Think: Rumpel, Kerdiles).

All in all, I love it. I understand some of the season ticket holders that might be upset, that's more than understandable. Overall though there are more than enough benefits for UW to play in a game like this. I'm looking forward to it, and will have fun with it. If you're not, that's your prerogative but don't feel the need to ruin it for the rest of us.

Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 07-12-2012, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X