Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'd also like to see Harvard and Yale, come classic names that would put butts in the seats.
    Not that I don't want to play these teams, but I find it hard to believe that people are going to come out to games for reason that the games are against Harvard and Yale.

Comment

We have a tough enough time getting to 85% capacity as it is. Not sure that Harvard or Yale is going to make that big of a difference.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        We have a tough enough time getting to 85% capacity as it is. Not sure that Harvard or Yale is going to make that big of a difference.
        They are more recognizable that Alabama Huntsville or Mankato State.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised to see UW travel to UAA once every three or four years for the extra two home games w/ the exemption, but also the experience for the team.
          No extra home games for NC games in AK, they get to play 2 extra games, but they can play the same number of home games regardless of if they travel to AK.

Example:
          34 game schedule (no exemptions)
          20 B10 games (10 Home, 10 Away).
          10 Home NC games
          4 Away NC games

36 game schedule (with AK exemption)
          10 Home NC games
          6 Away NC games (includes 2 games to AK)

In both cases UW would have 20 Home games and could have up to 14 home games regardless of a trip to AK.

The value of the AK trip would be as a bonding experience for the team and a pair of extra games in total, but no extra home games because you do not receive an exemption for two "mandatory" away conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            They are more recognizable that Alabama Huntsville or Mankato State.
            I know I don't have to base this on, but I feel confident saying that we have bigger issues than quality of opponent when it comes to putting butts in seats. Namely: Our fanbase isn't as interested as they ought to be.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              No extra home games for NC games in AK, they get to play 2 extra games, but they can play the same number of home games regardless of if they travel to AK.

Example:
              34 game schedule (no exemptions)
              10 Home NC games
              4 Away NC games

36 game schedule (with AK exemption)
              10 Home NC games
              6 Away NC games (includes 2 games to AK)

In both cases UW would have 20 Home games and could have up to 14 home games regardless of a trip to AK.

The value of the AK trip would be as a bonding experience for the team and a pair of extra games in total, but no extra home games because you do not receive an exemption for two "mandatory" away conference games.
              I guess I should have been more clear, UAA is the ONLY team (besides UAF) where you can travel to their arena, play two games and still get two games at home (or on the road) in the long run because the exemption, well exempts those games from counting against the usual total (6 vs 8 or 14 vs 16). Thanks for breaking it down, if someone didn't understand.

You are incorrect about not receiving an exemption for "mandatory" away conference games. In 2008/09 the Badgers played 36 regular season games, and did not play in a tourney w/ an exemption (like the icebreaker). They did play at UAA, in conference even, to garner the extra two games.
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

For me, the main importance in scheduling was to maintain a steady diet of the main rivals from the WCHA...and it sure appears DU and North Dakota will be prominent. Next, I would to see OOC games scheduled with Eastern powers and BC, BU, & Miami certainly fit that bill. Yeap, seeing Notre Dame, UNH, Duluth, & St Cloud would be nice as well, but I suspect they will appear as things get finalized and/or in subsequent years. Of the 7 OOC series we have available to schedule, I expect 3 against elite powers (NoDak, Denver, BC, BU, Miami, ect) and the remaining 4 to be heavy on cupcakes with maybe a middling old second rung WCHA team mixed in. The reality of the Big 6 is that there will be some lumps imposed on each other and you'll need the OOC to make sure you can get above .500 and be tourney eligible in a down year (or up year for your conference brethren). Minny, Michigan, MSU, & UW should perennially have strong teams. OSU could very well be in the equation soon under OZ as a strong team. PSU will initially be 4 wins for most...but even there the resourses make it likely they will be solid pretty quickly.

Comment

You are incorrect about not receiving an exemption for "mandatory" away conference games. In 2008/09 the Badgers played 36 regular season games, and did not play in a tourney w/ an exemption (like the icebreaker). They did play at UAA, in conference even, to garner the extra two games.
                  I wasn't clear. You always get the exemption for games played in AK. My point was that you only can have extra home games when the exemption applies to "mandatory" away conference games (games that would be away games regardless of where they were played). Playing NC games in AK only gets you two additional games, doesn't change the number of home games that you can have.

Comment

Apparently Justin Schultz has a list of teams he is interested in: Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and NY Rangers.

Past reports have said playing with old teammates is weighing in on his decision (Toronto and NY apply). He is from BC, so Vancouver is like going home. A lot of playing time available in Edmonton on a very young team.

Any thoughts?

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                      Apparently Justin Schultz has a list of teams he is interested in: Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and NY Rangers.

Past reports have said playing with old teammates is weighing in on his decision (Toronto and NY apply). He is from BC, so Vancouver is like going home. A lot of playing time available in Edmonton on a very young team.

Any thoughts?
                      “@TSNBobMcKenzie: Strongly led to believe MIN, as in Wild, are in on shortlist for UFA dman Justin Schultz. That would make 6 teams we know of. Maybe more?”

Would love to have Schultz on the Wild. I think he could probably come in and get plenty of Top 4 minutes right away.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        “@TSNBobMcKenzie: Strongly led to believe MIN, as in Wild, are in on shortlist for UFA dman Justin Schultz. That would make 6 teams we know of. Maybe more?”

Would love to have Schultz on the Wild. I think he could probably come in and get plenty of Top 4 minutes right away.
                        I've seen 26 are interested. So 4 teams don't want a creative, offensive defenseman who also happens to play well in his own zone? Not like he is cashing in for 7 mil like Suter will.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          I know I don't have to base this on, but I feel confident saying that we have bigger issues than quality of opponent when it comes to putting butts in seats. Namely: Our fanbase isn't as interested as they ought to be.
                          Nail, meet hammer.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've seen 26 are interested. So 4 teams don't want a creative, offensive defenseman who also happens to play well in his own zone? Not like he is cashing in for 7 mil like Suter will.
                            Guessing 4 just said f-it, we have no chance so they didn't even bother.

Comment

....and the winner is.......THE OILERS!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/81...justin-schultz

From CBC Sports......
                              "Schultz will earn a base of salary of $925,000 US the next two seasons and can collect up to $2.85 million in additional bonuses."
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 06-30-2012, 04:24 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Burish re-unites with Pavelski in that one rotten hell hole of a franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X