Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Gurss Turris well get some Badger love after his GWG against the Rangahs
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      Gurss Turris well get some Badger love after his GWG against the Rangahs
      Still should have stayed at least 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Still shocked he stayed an entire season.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Totally agree, that decision set his NHL career back. That summer of strength training would have done wonders. My opinion on players leaving early is when they are dominating or near dominating and don't have much left to prove at this level, fine leave early. I would still love for them to stay, but I can't fault Craig Smith when he plays in the NHL out of training camp or McDonagh when he is shortly dominating for the Rangers, etc. I think that has played out for the majority of guys bolting early the past several years; expect Turris. He never lit up the WCHA, how did he think he would light up the NHL?

I haven't followed him at all this season, did he have a good year? Holding out when he hadn't done anything yet as a pro didn't sit well with me.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

While I'm in the Turris should have stayed another year/didn't like his holdout camp, he sure looked excited in the locker room interview post game. Good for him.

Still remember the only time I met him - took a few of my son's team mates to a game for his birthday, bought them each a puck in Bucky's Locker Room to get signed after the game. They asked me who I thought they should get and I said "Turris, he's gonna be great some day." That proclamation hasn't looked so good in the years that have followed.

The Badgers laid an egg that night against Mankato and I could hear Turris actually apologizing to the boys as they got his autograph. "Sorry we played so bad tonight, we'll try to do better tomorrow."

Really cool to those kids. Those pucks may actually end up being worthwhile after all.

Good to see him doing well.
            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              With all the things Gurt and others have said about UND on this site, I wouldn't be surprised if UND just said P!$$$ on it, we'll try to get a nice team on the schedule.
              *****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/crying_baby.jpg******

Comment

FWIW I didn't mind the Turris hold out one bit this year. People think it was about money but that had nothing to do with it. It was all about trying to get Phoenix to trade him to a better situation. Tippet was playing him like 8-9 minutes a night when he was with the Coyotes last season. In Ottawa he's centering the second line most of the time which is a much better fit for him.

Comment

FWIW I didn't mind the Turris hold out one bit this year. People think it was about money but that had nothing to do with it. It was all about trying to get Phoenix to trade him to a better situation. Tippet was playing him like 8-9 minutes a night when he was with the Coyotes last season. In Ottawa he's centering the second line most of the time which is a much better fit for him.
                  The situation in Phoenix changed greatly from the time that he was drafted and signed to when he was traded. While staying would have helped Turris get off to a better start in the NHL, he needed a fresh start and the only way to do that as a RFA is to force your teams hand and orchestrate a trade. I suspect that trade requests were made prior to the hold-out that Phoenix didn't accommodate. At that point, the hold-out and a public falling out is about the only option for the player. It isn't pretty and doesn't do anything for the player's reputation but better to take that hit and be out of Phoenix than to stay and be considered a giant draft bust.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Might just be me, but I'd rather keep the current members of the WCHA (and NMU) on the schedule on a regular basis then add a team (like Miami) that UW had almost zero history with.
                      As someone who's gotta pay for these games each year, I'd rather see us play a quality opponent - regardless of history. Bring in Notre Dame too.

BSU, Mankato, Tech, Omaha, UAA, heck, even CC and SCSU... wake me when it's over.

The fact (hopefully) that we will leave the WCHA but retain UND and Denver has actually rejuvenated my interest in the regular season on a micro level. Meaning - more than interested in the regular season as just a path to the playoffs. I will actually care more about individual games than just how they effect our record.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some new blood on the schedule.

It'd be cool if we could play Duluth every once in a while also.
                      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

2012-13 Tentative Wisconsin Hockey Schedule

OCTOBER

12/13--@ Northern Michigan (Resch Center)
                        19/20--Miami (?)
                        26/27--@ Minnesota-Duluth

NOVEMBER

2/3--Colorado College
                        9/10--
                        16/17--@ Minnesota
                        23/24--Minnesota State
                        30/1--@ Denver

DECEMBER

7/8--Michigan Tech
                        14/15--
                        21/22--
                        28/29--Lake Superior State (?)

JANUARY

4/5--@ Alaska Anchorage
                        11/12--@ Minnesota State
                        18/19--
                        25/26--Alaska Anchorage

FEBRUARY

1/2--@ North Dakota
                        8/9--Bemidji State
                        15/17--Minnesota (Friday Kohl Center, Sunday @ Soldier Field)

22/23--Penn State

MARCH

1/2--@ Nebraska Omaha
                        8/9--St. Cloud State
                        I hadn't really looked closely at this till now, but what a horrible home schedule.

No Denver OR UND?

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          I hadn't really looked closely at this till now, but what a horrible home schedule.

No Denver OR UND?

Yeah, that's got to be as uninteresting a home schedule as the Badgers have had in a while. Ever done the Grand Forks road trip--down Sat and back Sun?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

No Denver OR UND?

You got Penn State at home
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              You got Penn State at home
                              We want TWO SCOOPS!

CLAP.....CLAP...clap.clap.clap!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Yeah, that's got to be as uninteresting a home schedule as the Badgers have had in a while. Ever done the Grand Forks road trip--down Sat and back Sun?
                                I don't do meth, so not sure I could stay awake for that long in the car.

No, haven't been to GF but hope to someday. Who says that?

"I hope to get to Grand Forks someday!"

Hilarious

Comment

Working...
                                X