Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XXI - For every dark night, there's a brighter day

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    fyp

Jeez, for me this is the least interested I have been in the college post season that I can remember. Is it just me?
    No.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      No.
      Great minds think alike. Chuck, we've got to meet sometime to swap hockey stories; you with the modern era, I with the golden era!
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        In other news: maroon and gold makes my blood boil, so I think I'll haplessly cheer for Union in the Frozen Four.
        There is WAY too much marooon in the frozen 4. Isn't that dark red color on Union's uni another shade of maroooon?

It would just be the WORST THING EVAH if the rodent boys won the same year the girls did. I don't know if I could live through that. Well, I would if it happens, but it would be awful to the millionth degree.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          There is WAY too much marooon in the frozen 4. Isn't that dark red color on Union's uni another shade of maroooon?

It would just be the WORST THING EVAH if the rodent boys won the same year the girls did. I don't know if I could live through that. Well, I would if it happens, but it would be awful to the millionth degree.
          it alomost makes me want to root for BC in the semi.

Speaking of the girls...how did Amanda Kessel end up at Minnesota? I seem to remember the spin in Phil's recruitment being if only Mark Johnson were the coach...Phil would be at UW.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post

Speaking of the girls...how did Amanda Kessel end up at Minnesota? I seem to remember the spin in Phil's recruitment being if only Mark Johnson were the coach...Phil would be at UW.
            Probably helps that Amanda is not Phil. Recall, the testicular cancer wasn't THAT bad.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Given the history behind Phil's recruitment....I didn't see another Kessel ever winding up in Madison.

Comment

I'm cheering for BC, they might win again, but I can't stomach another gopher title and the unlimited arrogance of their fanbase in that situation. About the only game where I might not know who to cheer for is minnesota/Michigan.
                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                Originally posted by UWisco
                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/sansevere/...-womens-hockey "My family was no longer Badger fans..." and she didn't go to high school here, she went to Shattuck.

This sums it up.....I guess.
                  Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-03-2012, 04:17 PM.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    Given the history behind Phil's recruitment....I didn't see another Kessel ever winding up in Madison.
                    That's one thing that surprised me about it.

Beyond the fan reaction to him going to the Gophers (and really... what would you expect from fans?), I'm a little shocked to hear that there were bridges burned. His reasons for going to Minny had more to do with wanting to play a more offensive style and where his friends were going to school. I didn't think there was anything personal there.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Honest question here. Why is it "being provincial" when we harp on you guys for importing Minnesotans and Canadians, but perfectly acceptable for you to be upset at Kessel going to Minnesota?

Sure, I get that it isn't exactly the same thing, but the principle is the same. Pride in local talent.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        http://www.twincities.com/sansevere/...-womens-hockey "My family was no longer Badger fans..." and she didn't go to high school here, she went to Shattuck.

This sums it up.....I guess.

Kuck Fessel II can stay out of Madison ERRR Wisconsin for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I'll go completely effing scanners if minnesota wins a 2nd NCAA championship this year. holy ****.

Go Ferris, Go Union, and thirdly go BC.

Obviously the rats are a great team but I can hear it now "8-6 cause we have those 2 high school league titles from the 20's and 30's!"
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            I'll go completely effing scanners if minnesota wins a 2nd NCAA championship this year. holy ****.

Go Ferris, Go Union, and thirdly go BC.

Obviously the rats are a great team but I can hear it now "8-6 cause we have those 2 high school league titles from the 20's and 30's!"
                            I agree 100%. On the bright side, BC and UMn play each other in the first round so at least one of them will be eliminated. I would be more worried if they were on both sides of the bracket because of the possible BC/UMn championship.

With all of the in-state budget cuts, I am not sure Wisconsin can afford the arrogance deflection shields necessary on our Western Front to properly defend our state's well being were Minnesota to win another NC.
                            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              That's one thing that surprised me about it.

Beyond the fan reaction to him going to the Gophers (and really... what would you expect from fans?), I'm a little shocked to hear that there were bridges burned. His reasons for going to Minny had more to do with wanting to play a more offensive style and where his friends were going to school. I didn't think there was anything personal there.
                              Oh...I'm pretty sure it was personal. Eaves, Oz and staff were left with a little egg on their face (right or wrong...that was the perception with many) having one of the most (if not the most) highly publicized hockey recruit ever that not only did not attend the local school, but picked it's most dreaded rival. And in addition, there were whispers that part of the reasons for chosing the rodents was an affinity for Mark Johnson and an offensive style...two major labels/issues that the still relatively new Eaves regime was trying to move away from. I can imagine the UW hockey hierarchy was just a tad ****ed. I would imagine that Badger fans being the passionate lot they are let the Kessel family know they disagreed with their choice on more then a few occasions.

I think Kessel goes a bit further then a Minnesotan picking the Badgers over the home state school. Kessel was the first marquee elite recruit to leave home. Kessel was not a good player, he was a top 5 NHL type talent (he had been hyped as a potential #1 overall for a while). Wisconsin while better in recent years has not produced the volume of D1 players that Minny historically has and thereby seeing kids leave was not something people were used to seeing happen on a regular basis.

In the end...I would have enjoyed seeing the talent that is Phil Kessel play at home, but it made good theater adding to a storied rivalry having him as a rodent and the end result was the Badgers won a national title and Phil was a one and done.

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                                Oh...I'm pretty sure it was personal. Eaves, Oz and staff were left with a little egg on their face (right or wrong...that was the perception with many) having one of the most (if not the most) highly publicized hockey recruit ever that not only did not attend the local school, but picked it's most dreaded rival. And in addition, there were whispers that part of the reasons for chosing the rodents was an affinity for Mark Johnson and an offensive style...two major labels/issues that the still relatively new Eaves regime was trying to move away from. I can imagine the UW hockey hierarchy was just a tad ****ed. I would imagine that Badger fans being the passionate lot they are let the Kessel family know they disagreed with their choice on more then a few occasions.

I think Kessel goes a bit further then a Minnesotan picking the Badgers over the home state school. Kessel was the first marquee elite recruit to leave home. Kessel was not a good player, he was a top 5 NHL type talent (he had been hyped as a potential #1 overall for a while). Wisconsin while better in recent years has not produced the volume of D1 players that Minny historically has and thereby seeing kids leave was not something people were used to seeing happen on a regular basis.

In the end...I would have enjoyed seeing the talent that is Phil Kessel play at home, but it made good theater adding to a storied rivalry having him as a rodent and the end result was the Badgers won a national title and Phil was a one and done.
                                Zach Parise ring a bell?
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X