Hockey East Quarterfinals: #6 UNH @ #3 BU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Quarterfinals: #6 UNH @ #3 BU

I'm assuming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (if necessary).
    Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Re: Hockey East Quarterfinals: #6 UNH @ #3 BU

Apparently could be Thursday depending on the outcome of basketball
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Apparently could be Thursday depending on the outcome of basketball
      Basketball lost. So Fri Sat Sun???

Comment

Can't imagine these games aren't televised. BC/UMA could potentially get on TV but this series is clearly the marquee match-up. It will be interesting to see UNH enter the playoffs as an underdog for once.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          It will be interesting to see UNH enter the playoffs as an underdog for once.
          Uhhh... for once? Does anyone actually go into the postseason saying, "ya know, UNH is really gonna win it all this year!" ?

But if you're talking about the HE tournament, I'll withdraw my snark.
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
            Uhhh... for once? Does anyone actually go into the postseason saying, "ya know, UNH is really gonna win it all this year!" ?

But if you're talking about the HE tournament, I'll withdraw my snark.
            Yeah I'm talking about the HE tournament, especially the first round. When's the last time they weren't a home ice team?
            Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm talking about the HE tournament, especially the first round. When's the last time they weren't a home ice team?
              I'll admit -- I think 96 was the last time UNH didn't have home ice. But still, they've only made it to the Garden 1 of the past 3 years ... and that includes a loss to the number 8 seed (2010), getting swept at home (2009), and being shut out 3 times in 7 games!

Still, I'm not too happy about facing UNH at Agganis.
              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

I heard on the ME-UNH telecast today that UNH was an away team 14 years ago.
                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Can't imagine these games aren't televised. BC/UMA could potentially get on TV but this series is clearly the marquee match-up. It will be interesting to see UNH enter the playoffs as an underdog for once.
                  hmmm, i dunno, this is a matchup BU should take care of. Obviously this isn't the usual powerhouse UNH team we are used to seeing,though i wouldn't want to be playing them in a QF series. I kind of think Maine-Mack is the "marquee" matchup................

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                    I'll admit -- I think 96 was the last time UNH didn't have home ice. But still, they've only made it to the Garden 1 of the past 3 years ... and that includes a loss to the number 8 seed (2010), getting swept at home (2009), and being shut out 3 times in 7 games!
                    Yeah my point was that they have underachieved when they've been the lower/better seed so it will be interesting to see how they play as a dog.

Comment

Yeah my point was that they have underachieved when they've been the lower/better seed so it will be interesting to see how they play as a dog.
                      I honestly don't know if you can do that to this UNH team. I was surprised to see this was a sub-.500 team, including a .500 record out of conference. IDK if we can compare this year's UNH team to prior years.

Comment

Logic tells me that, since BU swept us in the season series, there's little reason to expect the Terriers to lose out at the Agganis, where UNH hasn't been as successful in recent years.

I also believe that UNH has absolutely no pressure this year, unlike in the past. There is no expectation beyond this series -- the only way the 'Cats make it to the NCAAs is to win the HE championship, and to win 4 against the likes of BU, BC, etc. is delusional. The pressure is on BU, which has been inconsistent of late. UNH only has to play the way they did up in Maine -- with solid defense and goaltending (but clearly more offense.)

I honestly don't expect to see the 'Cats in the Garden, but I do see this quite possibly going to 3 games -- in which case, who knows?
                        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                        --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

"RePost of "UNH Drops Tight Matchup with BU"
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                            The pressure is on BU, which has been inconsistent of late. UNH only has to play the way they did up in Maine -- with solid defense and goaltending (but clearly more offense.)
                            I don't mean to take it out on you specifically, but I had these "the pressure is on X" statements. Both teams are playing to win the games. The pressure is on both teams. BU knows it should make the NCAAs and should win these games if they play well. UNH needs to win 2 of 3 or their season is over. Both have the pressure on and feel like they have to win. And before anyone changes the word to expectations, if a team comes into a series expecting to lose, well...
                            Boston University 2009 Champs
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                              I don't mean to take it out on you specifically, but I had these "the pressure is on X" statements. Both teams are playing to win the games. The pressure is on both teams. BU knows it should make the NCAAs and should win these games if they play well. UNH needs to win 2 of 3 or their season is over. Both have the pressure on and feel like they have to win. And before anyone changes the word to expectations, if a team comes into a series expecting to lose, well...
                              Sure, both teams are playing to win. But indulge me a moment and tell me which team is "expected" to win, given the matchup, HE standings, recent H2H record, and venue? And don't say "the team that plays better and/or scores more goals" -- ultimately that will be the case, but do you expect BU or UNH to head to the Garden, given the above? And which team has the greater burden to meet its expectations of success? I'd say BU, and hence that's why the pressure is on them. I hope UNH has fun and stays loose. It may be harder for BU to do that.

Don't count UNH out -- I'm not. I expect we will come to play, and I hope that we win. If we play well and lose to a better team, c'est la vie. And I would reject the implication that the players expect to lose the series -- play hard, score some goals, see what happens.
                              We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                              ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                              --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Working...
                              X