Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA Final Day: Where does my team finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Final Day: Where does my team finish?

Here is what we know about the standings so far...

1. Minnesota
    2. Duluth
    3. Denver
    4. North Dakota
    5. CC/UNO
    6. CC/UNO/SCSU/Tech
    7. UNO/SCSU/Tech
    8. UNO/SCSU/Tech
    9. Wisconsin/Bemidji
    10. Wisconsin/Bemidji
    11. Mankato
    12. Anchorage

A CC win or tie, clinches 5th place for the Tigers. They can also clinch 5th if Denver OR Duluth win on Saturday. CC wins individual tiebreakers with both SCSU and UNO, but they lose out to UNO in a three way tiebreaker between UNO/CC/SCSU.

If UNO wins they clinch home ice. The Mavericks can also clinch home ice with a CC win AND UNO loss. UNO owns the tiebreaker with SCSU AND Tech. If Tech/UNO/SCSU finish in a three way tie, UNO wins that tiebreaker as well.

SCSU needs to win AND have Denver take at least a point from UNO to clinch home ice. If SCSU ties, Denver wins, and Tech wins, the SCSU/Tech tiebreaker goes to the 4th tiebreaker which is winning margin. SCSU would likely win, unless Tech were to make up the 12 goals they are behind SCSU.

Tech needs to win AND have Denver beat UNO AND Duluth beat SCSU to clinch home ice. Tech loses pretty much all the tiebreakers with the teams ahead of them, so a tie does them basically no help. Tech can fall no lower than 8th, as they would win the potential tiebreaker with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin needs only a tie to clinch 9th place OR if Bemidji ties or loses the Badgers clinch 9th. Wisconsin wins the tiebreaker with Bemidji.

Bemidji needs to win AND have Minnesota beat Wisconsin to clinch 9th place.

Obviously it is well past midnight, so I might have made some mistakes, but I believe this is how things shake out after tonight.

Also, here is the WCHA Tiebreaking procedure...

Originally posted by WCHA
    In the event that ties are encountered in the determination of WCHA ranking or designation of home teams for playoff purposes, the following procedures will be used in the order given to break the ties:

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the regular (conference) season will be used to break the tie.

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during the regular season.

c) If two or more teams played a four-game series during the regular season and the teams have the same win-loss records for those series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least number of goals scored against it in the four-game series shall have the higher rank. If two or more teams played a two-game series during the regular season, procede to tie-breaker d).

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a), (b) and (c), the team having the greatest "winning margin" during the regular season will have the higher rank. Winning margin = WCHA goals for during the regular season minus WCHA goals against.

e) Games played against WCHA opponents in holiday tournaments will not be counted in the determinations.
    Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-03-2012, 01:15 AM.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: WCHA Final Day: Where does my team finish?

Someplace ****ty.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Eleventh and twelfth place in the WCHA have only existed for two years. We are the only team to occupy one of those places both years they have been available. We own it!
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

CC has locked down 5... Should they lose and UNO wins, they win the tiebreaker by having two more wins
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Minnesota is locked in as 1 seed and gets rematch with Anchorage.
          never up, never in!

Comment

Originally posted by goofy gopher View Post
            Minnesota is locked in as 1 seed and gets rematch with Anchorage.
            very well done goofy

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              CC has locked down 5... Should they lose and UNO wins, they win the tiebreaker by having two more wins
              If CC loses, UNO wins, and SCSU wins, they will all be tied at 29 points. UNO wins the three-way tiebreaker, and would take 5th. CC would take 6th, and SCSU 7th. CC has clinched home ice, but can finish in either 5th or 6th.
              North Dakota

Comment

What a scrum for the last home ice position!
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  If CC loses, UNO wins, and SCSU wins, they will all be tied at 29 points. UNO wins the three-way tiebreaker, and would take 5th. CC would take 6th, and SCSU 7th. CC has clinched home ice, but can finish in either 5th or 6th.
                  Forgot about a threeway tie. Justin Timberlake, Andy Samberg and Lady Gaga would be ashamed.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Someplace ****ty.
                    Lulz
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      Forgot about a threeway tie. Justin Timberlake, Andy Samberg and Lady Gaga would be ashamed.
                      No worries. That is also assuming that my application of the WCHA Tiebreaker is correct. According to the tiebreaker, if 2+ teams tie, you look at head to head results. In a 3-way tie, it would break down like this...

UNO went 3-2-1 against CC and SCSU
                      CC went 3-3 against UNO and SCSU
                      SCSU went 1-2-1 against UNO and CC

My reading is that UNO would get the #5 seed, and then we would apply the tiebreakers to CC and SCSU. They split in the regular season, but CC would win the 2nd tiebreaker due to more conference wins. That is how I got UNO #5, CC #6, and SCSU #7 in that situation. FWIW, I could be dead wrong.
                      North Dakota

Comment

No worries. That is also assuming that my application of the WCHA Tiebreaker is correct. According to the tiebreaker, if 2+ teams tie, you look at head to head results. In a 3-way tie, it would break down like this...

UNO went 3-2-1 against CC and SCSU
                        CC went 3-3 against UNO and SCSU
                        SCSU went 1-2-1 against UNO and CC

My reading is that UNO would get the #5 seed, and then we would apply the tiebreakers to CC and SCSU. They split in the regular season, but CC would win the 2nd tiebreaker due to more conference wins. That is how I got UNO #5, CC #6, and SCSU #7 in that situation. FWIW, I could be dead wrong.
                        Wouldn't matter if after UNO gets the 5 seed and then they apply the second tiebreaker or keep the threeway one, either way SCSU loses.

Comment

No coin flip like the CCHA? Lame.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The way we've played lately, in particular, last night, I don't know that we deserve home ice.

Somehow, this will work out with us playing BSU. Mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                              Somehow, this will work out with us playing BSU. Mark my words.
                              Not unless both of you make the F5.

(and at this point, one never knows WHO will make the F5.)
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Working...
                              X