Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTU season thread Part 3. The Mel Sky-Pearson chronicles

Originally posted by MeanEgirl View Post
    Hm... Yes, I'm a few days late on this, but I must comment. "Better than expected"? The only surprise to me this season is that we don't have a better record than we currently do. I know the last few years have been rough and we haven't had a good record, mostly because of injuries... But did you look at who we brought back this year? The last three years' MVPs! And a lot of other talent... and a very good incoming class. If they stayed healthy (which they did for the most part), it was going to be an awesome year. We won a few games we probably should've lost... and we lost a LOT of games we should've won. I knew it was going to be an awesome year for Tech. Except, I was wrong. It wasn't as great as I was expecting... but still pretty dang good for "this team."
    Yeah, yeah, we all know that the thought of Jamie Russell still gets your panties wet.

Honestly, I learned a lot about the mental aspect of hockey coaching this year. Teaching a team to win, and to put forth a winning effort almost every game, is a lot harder than it looks. When a team has generally been known as 'lovable losers' for years, it is not a fast process, regardless of the team's ancient history.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Yeah, yeah, we all know that the thought of Jamie Russell still gets your panties wet.

Honestly, I learned a lot about the mental aspect of hockey coaching this year. Teaching a team to win, and to put forth a winning effort almost every game, is a lot harder than it looks. When a team has generally been known as 'lovable losers' for years, it is not a fast process, regardless of the team's ancient history.
      Amen brother, Amen. Congratulations to coach Pearson on a job well done.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I liked Jamie also, but this team does not win as many games as they did this year if he's at the helm. The culture change that Fade mentions was HUGE.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I liked Jamie also, but this team does not win as many games as they did this year if he's at the helm. The culture change that Fade mentions was HUGE.
          indubitably.

Biggest game of the year on tap tonight. Tech has shown they can play well on the road against good teams (when expectations fall, as has been pointed out). They need to bring that free skating spirit tonight and get a lead to set the tone for this weekend. I think they might actually have as good a chance of advancing while playing on the road as they would have at home. But, it would have been fun to watch. LET'S GO TECH!
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Here's a fun story about Steve Shields. I think it's the first time I've seen Houghton located as being "about a five-hour drive west of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont." I think continued positive press like this will do almost as much good as winning games, for recruiting and building up the program. Win or lose this weekend, a lot of good things are ahead for Michigan Tech hockey. And the knack for good PR is another very positive thing Coach Pearson has added that wasn't there in the past (the "Mel Pearson Show", etc).
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Off to the Springs for some hockey.

GO TECH

GO HUSKIES

Comment

Originally posted by ColoToot View Post
                Off to the Springs for some hockey.

GO TECH

GO HUSKIES
                Have one for me! Go Tech.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Mel deserved COTY and hopefully I'll get to see Tech at the Final Five. I'll be rooting for you this weekend
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I am going to predict that this goes 3 games, beyond that, its a crapshoot.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: MTU season thread Part 3. The Mel Sky-Pearson chronicles

I am going to predict that this goes 3 games, beyond that, its a crapshoot.
                      My pick was Tech in 3, all close games. I'm guessing this one will be the closest series.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

For good karma, tune into 93.5 on pasty.net to listen in the the 3rd period as the Houghton Gremlins are up 2-0 over GRCC in the D3 state semifinal. It would be another huge win for Houghton, who already upset Calumet, and Cranbrook is out of it as well. I don't even know who they would play in the final Saturday if they win, some relative no-namer.
                        If you don't believe in omens, tune in for the simple joy of listening to the most yooperish hockey broadcasters in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          For good karma, tune into 93.5 on pasty.net to listen in the the 3rd period as the Houghton Gremlins are up 2-0 over GRCC in the D3 state semifinal. It would be another huge win for Houghton, who already upset Calumet, and Cranbrook is out of it as well. I don't even know who they would play in the final Saturday if they win, some relative no-namer.
                          If you don't believe in omens, tune in for the simple joy of listening to the most yooperish hockey broadcasters in the business.
                          I haven't been able to get the feed from pasty.net to work once in the last year. So, I'll pass. Plus, Thief is playing Hermantown...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I haven't been able to get the feed from pasty.net to work once in the last year. So, I'll pass. Plus, Thief is playing Hermantown...
                            it's also on 102.3, which I believe is also linked on pasty.net, but the announcers don't have quite the same panache.

edit: D'OH! I jinxed 'em.
                            Last edited by geezer; 03-09-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              it's also on 102.3, which I believe is also linked on pasty.net, but the announcers don't have quite the same panache.
                              Thief is still playing Hermantown and when given the choice between listening to #TheTourney or whatever is going on in Michigan, I'll chose #TheTourney.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Huskies win in three, Sunday's game goes into overtime. A Husky fan gets kicked out of the World Arena on Sunday, and the Huskies join me in Minnesota for the Final Five.

Why does that all sound so familiar?
                                Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
                                *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
                                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Working...
                                X