Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU/Northeastern Fri/Sat End of Reg Season

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    As if Conte is just ROCKING with enthusiasm!
    Conte does have slot machines and blackjack tables as well as a sports book to satisfy your gambling needs. Just knock on the door that says "First Aid" and tell them that "Fitzy sent me" and you're good to go.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Satanic Husky View Post
      nu is on spring break starting tomorrow. shouldn't be a problem getting in on saturday.

it might be the most sterile, boring arena in hockey east. agganis is "ok" if you wonder what hockey would be like if it were played in a movie theater.
      Well put, Satanic. I never thought of it in that way, but you are exactly right. agganis lacks the character and "personality" of a Matthews or a Baker Rink at Princeton or a Camden Yards.

While I think of it, why do certain broadcasters refer to Matthews as having a "small ice surface? It is 90' by 200'. The only larger surfaces in the league are UNH and umASS.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        As if Conte is just ROCKING with enthusiasm!
        Ah the old WE HAVE BETTER FANS THAN YOU argument!

Anyway I much prefer going to Agganis than Matthews. Agganis is probably my favorite rink in HE to watch a game on the road.

They have beer, the attendants don't allow the miscreants to bother me during play, the bathrooms are clean, etc. You pay a premium but you receive a premium.

At Matthews there's a 50/50 shot some pole/garbage can will be blocking your view. In the lower deck it's a sh*tty view and in the upper deck you have to deal with the knuckledraggers.

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
          Then don't move over two sections from where your tickets are and expect to stand in front of 10 rows of season ticket holders and you won't get 'harrassed'.
          yeah Satanic.. & don't say 'no'..they don't take that too well over there..
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Sounds like some fans are suffering from 'Arena Envy'.

Agganis is by far the best arena in the conference and perhaps in the East although I confess I haven't seen every arena on this side of the country. Yeah Matthews has its charm that's tough to replicate but you can't see the whole arena from half the seats, the fans looks like a bunch of extras from The Wire or Jersey Shore, and there's no beer served. Conte & Mullins are built for hoops. The rest of the arenas range from sterile cookie cutter places to run down rat traps.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Sounds like some fans are suffering from 'Arena Envy'.
              I am not envious though that I only have to pay $10 for a superior product in a superior environment opposed to what you have to pay, which is nearly triple and quadrouple if you include parking.

But agreed Agganis is my favorite road trip.

Comment

Merrimack fan here. Agganis Arena is the nicest looking, most modern, most comfortable arena, good sight lines, etc...However, I'd rather watch a game at Alfond, Whittemore, Gutterson, Matthews, Lawler when those teams are playing well. The fan base at BU just isn't what it was when the Terriers played at WBA. I like a good atmosphere. It makes the college games that much better than the NHL.

Comment

Agganis is my favorite road trip because of the opponent, not the arena. If BU played at Lawler that would be my favorite road trip to.

Agganis is a nice arena. But it's not a nice *college hockey* arena. It reminds me of Lowell. Nice facility, but it lacks the college hockey feel.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                    Merrimack fan here. Agganis Arena is the nicest looking, most modern, most comfortable arena, good sight lines, etc...However, I'd rather watch a game at Alfond, Whittemore, Gutterson, Matthews, Lawler when those teams are playing well. The fan base at BU just isn't what it was when the Terriers played at WBA. I like a good atmosphere. It makes the college games that much better than the NHL.
                    This.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Agganis is a great venue. I love going there. That said, it has no atmosphere and it's about the same intimidation level as a Jacksonville Jaguars game.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        Agganis is a great venue. I love going there. That said, it has no atmosphere and it's about the same intimidation level as a Jacksonville Jaguars game.
                        NU is more on the level of the San Diego Padres in intimidation. They haven't won an NL pennant since the 80's. At least you guys don't have camo jerseys though.

Comment

I've never understood the fascination with Matthews. Outside of the front row of the balcony, the sightlines are TERRIBLE. There are numerous seats up there that have a cement post literally right in front of the seat, blocking a solid 75% of the ice. And they didn't even think to take out the seats behind the post when the place got renovated! If you're downstairs, the noise level is really not that high if you're under the overhang, and again, the sightlines are downright awful in some spots. If I want a really good old barn with awful sightlines, I'll take Alfond or the Gut over Matthews.

And yes, the Agganis atmosphere is terrible. A good amount of that has to do with the gestapo RSIG security atmosphere over the past four years or so, where it's gotten to the point where students don't even bother to make any noise out of fear of being accused of swearing. When the place first opened and security wasn't nearly as needlessly overwhelming, things were a lot better. And a lot of the folks in the side sections think they're at a morgue and tell you to sit down, shut up, and that you're obnoxious when you're yelling at someone coughbunyoncough on the ice. It's a shame, for such a nice facility, the atmosphere really turns sterile a lot of the time.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Gotta disagree with this. Since most NU fans are armed with various sorts of weapons and have affiliations with major West Coast gangs such as the Crips, Bloods, etc they're way intimidating. You never know if there's an AK-47 hidden under their long trenchcoats.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              ...However, I'd rather watch a game at Alfond, Whittemore, Gutterson, Matthews, Lawler when those teams are playing well. The fan base at BU just isn't what it was when the Terriers played at WBA..
                              ..good point. Jokes aside.. Agganis has a more pro feel to it than a college hockey arena (just my opinion).

It's as much suited for Charlie Sheen, as it is for the Muppets... The arenas you mentioned (+ few more barns).. have that College gamenight feel. WBA..yup, it had that. Agganis.. nope. Heck even Notre Dame got it right.

Anyway, movie theater/no theater.. won't make a difference this wknd. Spring Break at Matthews, Spring Break @ NU.. Spring break on the minds of our hockey team (since Jan 1st pretty much).. much as i'd like to be able to play Lowell in the playoffs for more redemption.. with the team we have left.. it'll be 2 & out this wknd.

PS. Agganis ..Since BU's been at the butt end of all jokes this season.. let you guys have the male pregnancy project as well..
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                I've never understood the fascination with Matthews. Outside of the front row of the balcony, the sightlines are TERRIBLE. There are numerous seats up there that have a cement post literally right in front of the seat, blocking a solid 75% of the ice. And they didn't even think to take out the seats behind the post when the place got renovated! If you're downstairs, the noise level is really not that high if you're under the overhang, and again, the sightlines are downright awful in some spots. If I want a really good old barn with awful sightlines, I'll take Alfond or the Gut over Matthews.
                                Amen, like Fenway the sooner that place gets demolished the better

Comment

Working...
                                X