NY Times - Fighting Could Be Eliminated in Amateur Hockey in US and Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times - Fighting Could Be Eliminated in Amateur Hockey in US and Canada

A very interesting article in the NY Times indicating that the forces are in place to eliminate fighting in the US and Canadian junior leagues as early as next season. What will happen to fighting in the NHL with players coming up through the ranks not being taught or using it? I would suspect fighting in the NHL would eventually be eliminated. With no fighting in juniors do those leagues, especially the CHL in Canada, become more like college hockey?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sp...YT+%3E+Sports)
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: NY Times - Fighting Could Be Eliminated in Amateur Hockey in US and Canada

I find it more laughable that they consider Major Junior to be amateur, yet the NCAA won't let Major Junior players in.

Comment

From the NYTimes article:

"Some N.A.H.L. rivals still feature bare-knuckled teenagers on the banner of their Web sites."

Allowing teenagers to bare-knuckle fight in front of an audience is bad enough. Encouraging and rewarding it is despicable.

How many decades ago did professional boxing ban bare-knuckle fighting?
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Allowing teenagers to bare-knuckle fight in front of an audience is bad enough. Encouraging and rewarding it is despicable.

How many decades ago did professional boxing ban bare-knuckle fighting?

What do you expect them to do, fight with their gloves on? Or do prefer brass knuckles instead of bare knuckles?
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Olympic and college hockey have the right idea. Reward the skills of the players.
          Grooming "thugs" is not part of youth hockey.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

What do you expect them to do, fight with their gloves on? Or do prefer brass knuckles instead of bare knuckles?
            How about a trash-talking contest instead? whomever splutters first, loses.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Works for me.

I look forward to the day that it's gone from the NHL also.

Relic from years ago.

Comment

I will believe it when I see it... Take fighting out of hockey and the pukes like Matt Cooke, Maxim Lapierre will run wild and take liberties up and down the ice against skilled players knowing they don't have to fight either.
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                  I will believe it when I see it... Take fighting out of hockey and the pukes like Matt Cooke, Maxim Lapierre will run wild and take liberties up and down the ice against skilled players knowing they don't have to fight either.
                  So how did Cooke and Lapierre and Tucker get their reps? There is fighting in the game now and it isn't stopping them from taking liberties. What a dumb argument.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Yep.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

So they'll act like MacWilliam, Blood, and Frattin?

Comment

No bare knuckle fighting??? " We're puttin on the foil, coach "
                        The price of success is paid in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          I think this is exactly right. I don't have strong feelings about fighting in the pros, but it shouldn't be allowed or encouraged at lower levels with teenagers.

For what its worth, I think there will always be fighting in the NHL unless the league bans it. Getting rid of it in juniors won't automatically end fighting in the pros.
                          #OneKnight

Comment

So what? You're going to have a rule that say "no fighting"?
                            Just as a note... Tripping, hooking, slashing, boarding, holding, interference, cross-checking, roughing, etc were also "eliminated" from hockey many years ago. How is that working?
                            You can make it less frequent with stiffer penalties as US college do now, but you won't stop it.
                            Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              So what? You're going to have a rule that say "no fighting"?
                              Just as a note... Tripping, hooking, slashing, boarding, holding, interference, cross-checking, roughing, etc were also "eliminated" from hockey many years ago. How is that working?
                              You can make it less frequent with stiffer penalties as US college do now, but you won't stop it.
                              Ryan J
                              Tripping, hooking, etc aren't so much banned as regulated. You don't get the gate for doing any of those things unless you do it with intent to injure. Saying they are eliminated in hockey is like saying pitching out of the strikezone in baseball was eliminated because if you do it four times the batter walks. If you hook somebody there is a power play which is just an in-game penalty. I think that is different than to say these behaviors are banned.
                              #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                              X