No announcement yet.

NY Times - Fighting Could Be Eliminated in Amateur Hockey in US and Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NY Times - Fighting Could Be Eliminated in Amateur Hockey in US and Canada

Well you don't get the gate for fighting either unless the ref says you were fighting and not just roughing, or double roughing or roughing plus a 10.
    Banned / regulated - It's the same thing. It's all against the rules, but it won't stop players from doing it.
    If the penalty is too stiff, the refs won't call it. They don't want the fire storm that would come down on them if they make a call that gets a player tossed for a 1/4 of the season or whatever other silly penaty it would take to get the players to stop.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Just for the record, Matt Frattin has never registered a fight in his professional playing career... Hockey Fights
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
        Just for the record, Matt Frattin has never registered a fight in his professional playing career... Hockey Fights
        Has Matt Cooke officially? He usually runs and hides.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          So how did Cooke and Lapierre and Tucker get their reps? There is fighting in the game now and it isn't stopping them from taking liberties. What a dumb argument.
          You could argue that it stops them from taking more liberties and from committing more dangerous offences on skill players. So it's not a dumb argument, but dismissing it might be.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Has Matt Cooke officially? He usually runs and hides.
            Not very much but this is my favorite Matt Cooke Fight...
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              Grooming "thugs" is not part of youth hockey.
              Unless they want to attend North Dakota, then it's mandatory.

Comment

So has he quit head hunting and cheap shotting smaller players because the threat of fighting prevents him?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  So has he quit head hunting and cheap shotting smaller players because the threat of fighting prevents him?
                  Hell no. He's stop doing it because Kevin Wehrs stopped playing hockey.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Head hunters and cheap shot artists continue to cause more serious injuries -like concussions - than are caused by fisticuffs. Punching face masks is less dangerous than elbows, cross checks, hits from behind, or high sticks, so if the possibility of retaliation by fist discourages more dangerous infractions why the phobia over fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Hell no. He's stop doing it because Kevin Wehrs stopped playing hockey.
                      So he can't find anyone small enough to head-hunt then?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        So he can't find anyone small enough to head-hunt then?
                        He could, but it just wouldn't be as much fun as smearing Wehrs all over the ice like jam on toast. So MMFF has given it up.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I lost my appetite for fighting in hockey back in the days when minimally-talented goons like Dave Schultz gained almost as much notoriety as artists like Bobby Orr. Now, more than 30 years later, influential leaders of amateur hockey in the US and Canada appear to have decided that fighting should be prohibited in their corner of the hockey world.

Leaving aside the debate over whether the NY Times is an elitist, liberal rag out of touch with real Americans, their series of articles on fighting and brain trauma in hockey has provided a welcome outsiders' view of what has become commonplace in hockey. What struck me about the most recent article in the Times was the description of hockey fights as "bare-knuckle". I immediately thought of 19th-century photos of John L. Sullivan beating on some opponent with his fists.

In my opinion, the accurate description of hockey fights as "bare-knuckle" events strips away all the excuses for why fighting is an integral part of the sport. At the most primitive level, hockey fights involve two guys using their bare fists to try and cause facial and brain trauma to the unprotected skull of their opponent. Every other sport in the civilized world - even boxing - has decided long ago that this behavior should be discouraged and punished. Maybe the NHL would benefit from a new leader who realizes this is the 21st century.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I will believe it when I see it... Take fighting out of hockey and the pukes like Matt Cooke, Maxim Lapierre will run wild and take liberties up and down the ice against skilled players knowing they don't have to fight either.
                            Allowing (or at least being lenient with) fighting is a lousy way of trying to enforce rules.

If leagues would hold referees accountable for calling games correctly, and then perform reviews of particular incidents to the end of handing out stiff suspensions/fines for egregious infractions, it would be far more effective than permitting vigilante enforcement.

The NHL is starting to do this, and these "cheap shots" have shown a decline.

You are kidding yourself if you think the NHL is reticent to take a stricter stance on fighting because they fear "losing control" of how players will conduct themselves on the ice.

That's some pretty ***-backwards logic. "To keep players from acting like thugs we need to have them act like thugs."

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                              In my opinion, the accurate description of hockey fights as "bare-knuckle" events strips away all the excuses for why fighting is an integral part of the sport. At the most primitive level, hockey fights involve two guys using their bare fists to try and cause facial and brain trauma to the unprotected skull of their opponent. Every other sport in the civilized world - even boxing - has decided long ago that this behavior should be discouraged and punished. Maybe the NHL would benefit from a new leader who realizes this is the 21st century.
                              that is a really interesting idea! Bring out boxing gloves or the gloves they use in MMA and let the guys fight that way. many (far from all) of the "fights" seem just about as staged....
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                I lost my appetite for fighting in hockey back in the days when minimally-talented goons like Dave Schultz gained almost as much notoriety as artists like Bobby Orr. Now, more than 30 years later, influential leaders of amateur hockey in the US and Canada appear to have decided that fighting should be prohibited in their corner of the hockey world.

Leaving aside the debate over whether the NY Times is an elitist, liberal rag out of touch with real Americans, their series of articles on fighting and brain trauma in hockey has provided a welcome outsiders' view of what has become commonplace in hockey. What struck me about the most recent article in the Times was the description of hockey fights as "bare-knuckle". I immediately thought of 19th-century photos of John L. Sullivan beating on some opponent with his fists.

This x 1,000!!! Especially the bolded part! The Broad Street Bullies about soured me on hockey and certainly did sour me on NHL for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X