Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wcha play-offs

Here is what we know heading into the final week of regular season play:

MINNESOTA - Likely the #1 seed and hosting Anchorage. This isn't a foregone conclusion, but certainly the most likely scenario. Interesting rematch from last year when the Seawolves ended the Gophers' season at Mariucci.

DULUTH - Likely the #2 seed and hosting Mankato. Again, they could catch the Gophers, but they will have to make up 3 pts to do it (MN holds the tie-breaker). Denver can't catch the Bulldogs as Duluth holds the tie-breaker.

DU, UND - Denver has the upper hand here with a 3pt lead over UND, but considering the opponents this final week (DU @ UNO and UND hosting Mankato) it's not necessarily a sure thing. What we do know is that almost certainly these teams will be finishing in 3rd/4th and hosting either Wisconsin or Bemidji.

CC, UNO, TECH - This is where it gets interesting. What is nearly certain is that Tech will play either CC, UNO or *possibly* SCSU; but whether Tech hosts or goes on the road is still up in the air. If Tech can take 3pts at CC this coming weekend, they will get to host a WCHA play-off series for the first time in...well...pause while I go look this up...**** it, I don't have the patience. A really long time. UNO has a tough go of it with Denver coming in, so even if Tech splits they might sneak into the top half. UNO holds the tie-break should the two teams end with equal points. At any rate, it will be some intense games this coming weekend in Colorado Springs and Omaha, and that play-off series between the 6th and 7th seed is likely to be a barn-burner.

ST. CLOUD - Almost certainly will finish in 7th or 8th. An outside chance they could sneak into home ice for the first round, but they have to catch 2 teams to do it, and with the #1 team in the PWR coming into their barn that will be a difficult task. SCSU will go on the road to Houghton, Omaha or Colorado Springs. Despite the Huskies bottom-half finish this season, this is going to be a scary team to host in the first round.

WISCONSIN - Most likely the 9 seed, although they could fall to #10 (Wisco travels to conference leaders MN and Bemidji, right on Wisco's heels, goes to last place Anchorage). There is an outside chance UW creeps up to 8th but that is extremely unlikely, as they would have to sweep MN in Minneapolis and hope St. Cloud fails to earn a point at home. Wisconsin will be traveling to either DU or UND for the first round, which should make for some rough and tumble WCHA play-off games

BEMIDJI - Will finish in either 9th or 10th and face either DU or UND away in the first round. Mankato could theoretically catch the Beavers, but seeing as the Mavericks head to Grand Forks next weekend and BSU to Anchorage, that seems highly unlikely.

MANKATO - UAA can't catch them, and they almost certainly won't catch Bemidji. Looks like the Purple Mavericks will go to Duluth for the first round.

ANCHORAGE - Destined to finish in 12th. Most likely will travel to Minneapolis to try to duplicate their post-season upset of the Gophers of last year.

That's where we currently stand....
    Last edited by Stauber1; 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM.

Re: Wcha play-offs

Would be interesting to hear the injury situation. Tech will be AT cc, not at home.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Tech is at CC this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        If Tech can take 3pts from the visiting Tigers this coming weekend, they will get to host a WCHA play-off series for the first time in...well...pause while I go look this up...**** it, I don't have the patience. A really long time.
        1993, when they finished 4th.

Getting more than a point out of the Springs will be a tall order for Tech though. Save for the 2007 postseason, we usually struggle at the World Arena.

Comment

I will be happy if MTU can split in cc finishing the wcha season at .500 a pretty amazing accomplishnent for this to program. 3 pts does not guarantee home ice for MTU, because SCSU might win a tiebreaker if they manage to sweep. SCSU has more wins.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I will be happy if MTU can split in cc finishing the wcha season at .500 a pretty amazing accomplishnent for this to program. 3 pts does not guarantee home ice for MTU, because SCSU might win a tiebreaker if they manage to sweep. SCSU has more wins.
            I'd say it's a pretty sure bet that if Tech can get 3pts this coming weekend they will host for the first round.

I got the location of the Tech-CC series mixed up, but CC has been vulnerable the past few weeks. I think Tech has a shot at it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              1993, when they finished 4th.

Getting more than a point out of the Springs will be a tall order for Tech though. Save for the 2007 postseason, we usually struggle at the World Arena.
              Go Tech!

Comment

We are so screwed. CC has looked God awful the past few months. Everyone is injured and Scott Owens only plays a few select players. It's going to take a momentous miracle to host the playoffs at the World Arena.
                Colorado College Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by PenaltyBoxBeast View Post
                  We are so screwed. CC has looked God awful the past few months. Everyone is injured and Scott Owens only plays a few select players. It's going to take a momentous miracle to host the playoffs at the World Arena.
                  I was about to accuse you of sandbagging, but then I checked and saw you guys are 4-8-2 since Jan. 1st.

Still, they play the games for a reason. Tech hasn't exactly been racking up wins in that timespan either (5-5-3).

EDIT: Any chance you guys get Thorimbert back for next weekend? Might make a big difference in Tech's odds.
                  Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

The thing that we have going for us is Duluth plays like butthole at the NHC, just like we usually played atrociously at the DECC.

For Cloud, getting a point against Duluth, OR MN getting one against WI at home and UAA getting one point while hosting BSU keeps us out of Denver, which would be really nice. And if that happens and UND wins Friday night then we stay out of Grand Forks, which I would have mixed feelings on. Hopefully by Friday the only games that will matter to us Saturday will be obviously our own, MTU@CC and DU@UNO and the UW@MN, BSU@UAA and MSUM@UND games won't matter at all to us.

For SCSU to get home ice we must win our series against UMD. If we take three and Omaha gets swept then we get in as long as the series in Springs ends in any results but an MTU win and an MTU tie, and if we sweep UMD and Omaha loses their series then we get home ice, and we could actually steal the 5 seed if Tech takes exactly 3.

Most likely we're on the road, and most likely we're in Houghton, Colorado Springs or Omaha... personally I think we can win all three of those series and I think I'd rank them from most likely to least likely to win: MTU, CC, UNO. Though for greedy personal reasons, I'd most like to see us end up in Omaha.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      The thing that we have going for us is Duluth plays like butthole at the NHC, just like we usually played atrociously at the DECC.

For Cloud, getting a point against Duluth, OR MN getting one against WI at home and UAA getting one point while hosting BSU keeps us out of Denver, which would be really nice. And if that happens and UND wins Friday night then we stay out of Grand Forks, which I would have mixed feelings on. Hopefully by Friday the only games that will matter to us Saturday will be obviously our own, MTU@CC and DU@UNO and the UW@MN, BSU@UAA and MSUM@UND games won't matter at all to us.

For SCSU to get home ice we must win our series against UMD. If we take three and Omaha gets swept then we get in as long as the series in Springs ends in any results but an MTU win and an MTU tie, and if we sweep UMD and Omaha loses their series then we get home ice, and we could actually steal the 5 seed if Tech takes exactly 3.

Most likely we're on the road, and most likely we're in Houghton, Colorado Springs or Omaha... personally I think we can win all three of those series and I think I'd rank them from most likely to least likely to win: MTU, CC, UNO. Though for greedy personal reasons, I'd most like to see us end up in Omaha.
                      It would be EXTREMELY unlikely for UND to fall to 5th place or for St. Cloud to fall to 9th place (one of those would have to occur for St. Cloud to be in Denver or Grand Forks for the 1st round).

I agree with your final thought, that almost certainly SCSU will be playing CC, UNO or Tech and most likely it will be on the road.
                      I agree SCSU could win a series with any of those 3 teams, which is why SCSU is a scary 1st round opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X