SOLDIER FIELD 2013 • Wisconsin vs. Minnesota & Miami vs. Notre Dame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
    Huh? Maybe in a tiny town thirty years ago. I'm from a small town in northern Minnesota and very few kids play outside anymore. We've went from five outdoor rinks to one, the city just bulldozes them. My son plays and I don't believe the association has had a single hockey practice or game outdoors for years.
    Very common in the Twin Cities. Not enough indoor ice to go around. It's better than it used to be in EP since they added to additional indoor sheets, but I imagine there are still plenty of outdoor practices. And every time I go back I see plenty of kids skating on the outdoor rinks.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Very common in the Twin Cities. Not enough indoor ice to go around. It's better than it used to be in EP since they added to additional indoor sheets, but I imagine there are still plenty of outdoor practices. And every time I go back I see plenty of kids skating on the outdoor rinks.
      In St. Paul, Palace playground is reserved most week nights for youth organizations. My girls U8 team practiced there last night. Additionally, Groveland - with it's two rinks - is busy most week nights with organized youth hockey.

FWIW, I was raised in a St. Paul suburb and played in the community league. And always outside. Didn't play regularly inside until 9th grade (1974).
      Last edited by Go4PuckFan2.0; 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Re: SOLDIER FIELD 2013 • Wisconsin vs. Minnesota & Miami vs. Notre Dame

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
        Why would that be? I'm assuming the ice sheet is chilled (since they're down south) and they'll have a Zamboni. Otherwise, you're going to need temps no warmer in the teens to flood.
        Sun or rain. Did you see the photos from Omaha? If it's cloudy and not too warm, it should be decent, with sun the chiller won't keep up and it'll get soft and rutted pretty quick. If it rains, it'll be slush.

Comment

Minneapolis Ariel, February 16, 1895. Page 5:

“The University of Minnesota hockey team will play a game for the championship of Minneapolis against the Minneapolis Hockey Club at their rink, at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Eleventh Street South.

Did they win? Is there a banner up for it?

Comment

We have outdoor high school hockey games every year as part of Hockey Day Minnesota and they are a big hit. Pond hockey is pretty big in Minny too and the World Pond Hockey Championships played in Minneapolis every year are really well attended. There has been a lot of clamoring herefor a Gopher outdoor game and for a Winter Claasic.

So, I guess I disagree. I think it depends on the situation and where you are at.

As for the nostalgia comment, again, it depends on the situation and where you are from. The Gophers played outdoors for years in the early days before the program became a sanctioned varsity sport, so it does go back to the old days of outdoor hockey for our program.

Minneapolis Ariel, February 16, 1895. Page 5:

“The University of Minnesota hockey team will play a game for the championship of Minneapolis against the Minneapolis Hockey Club at their rink, at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Eleventh Street South. The game is preparatory to the game to be played Monday afternoon by Winnipeg and the University of Minnesota. Winnipeg is champion of the world.* Winnipeg has returned from a rough trip through eastern Canada and has defeated without too much trouble Montréal, Toronto, Victoria, Ottawa, Québec, and the Limestone’s. The University started practice two or three weeks ago and played against a Minneapolis team, being defeated 4-1. A week and one half ago that they defeated the same team 6-4. Tonight they play the tie off for the championship. Dr. H.A. Parkyn has been coaching the boys every afternoon. He has a couple of stars in Willis Walker and Russell.
            Walker plays point and Russell cover-point, with Van Campen in goal. Parkyn
            and Albert are center forwards. Dr. Parkyn’s long experience with the Victoria
            team of Toronto, one of the best, makes him a fine player. Thompson and
            Head, the other two forwards, are old ice polo players and skate fast and pass
            well. Van Campen, quarterback on last year's football team, plays goal well.
            Many tickets have been sold for tonight’s and also Monday's game. Tickets
            are $.25, ladies come free. The excitement of these games is intense, and
            surpasses that at a football game.”

You can see as much of the rink here as you can at the Kohl Center.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              Perfect size for learning the neutral zone trap...
              Well, I'm sure he wanted his kid to be a Badger...

When I was growing up we'd go down to the park and play basketball/soccer/baseball in the summer. In the winter, we'd go down to the park to play hockey...definitely miss those days.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Did they win? Is there a banner up for it?
                I believe they lost, so no banner. A participation banner would have been nice though
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Very common in the Twin Cities. Not enough indoor ice to go around.
                  Of course. That didn't even dawn on me being in a small town with a two sheet indoor complex. Just to derail this a bit more, I'd say the Mites here have at least three hours of practice plus three more in open time dedicated just to their age group. Plus three to six more of open hockey for any age if they choose. I don't know if that's considered a lot. Maybe they should be going outside!

Anyhoo, if that sheet's not chilled in Chicago and it's over 25F the ice will be soft and we will see numerous groin injuries. *****http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-706.gif***********http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-706.gif***********http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-scared-smileys-706.gif******

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    Negative...after their abysmal start, all games after Christmas break were MUST wins for the BADgers. 8-2-2 this half is the best run the BADgers have put together all season. Twice as many OT games than the Gophers though, an indication they're not really burying teams early. I expect both a defensive and goalie battle. But the Gophers should have the clear edge on offense and the PP, IF they play with a sense of urgency.
                    that's all true but they've been winning in spite of themselves really. this team is very difficult to watch even when they do manage to win
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: SOLDIER FIELD 2013 • Wisconsin vs. Minnesota & Miami vs. Notre Dame

The excitement of these games is intense, and
                      surpasses that at a football game.
                      1895 - The State of Hockey

Comment

I just think that Minnesota is different in regards to the hockey culture.

There's good hockey here, but it's more like a cult-following for those who do it. Certainly not mainstream.

Up there, unless I'm understanding things wrong, it's part of your broader culture.

Speaking of backyard rinks, here's the one that I maintained at our old house for about 5 years.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/winter050600150_zps469bd6d1.jpg******

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/winter050600126_zpsa5fc3eae.jpg******

Did this until the boy was a pee wee or so and then we moved to a new house where the pitch of the backyard was too great. By that age, him and his buddies were more interested in xbox than playing hockey outside anyway.
                        Regardless of what we all think about you Gurt, that even gives you points in my book Very cool indeed.

Comment

What is the attendance today?

Comment

The ice looks REALLY slow. Miami and Notre Dame look like they're crawling.

PERFECT!

Comment

The ice looks REALLY slow. Miami and Notre Dame look like they're crawling.

PERFECT!
                              ****. Beat me to it......

Wisconsin Hockey: Don't leave it to Eaver.

Comment

Goalie sieve a gopher on a stick!

EDIT - think of this, what 50 to 60,000 people at Soldier Field to watch these games while the Hawks are up 1-0 now at the Madhouse on Madison where there must be at least 18,000 people right now. Pretty incredible.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X