Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SOLDIER FIELD 2013 • Wisconsin vs. Minnesota & Miami vs. Notre Dame

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I disagree. Everyone seems to only concentrate on the shots that scored the goals. What led up to the shots is another matter.
    Still doesn't favor your argument. There were very few moments in this game where I thought the ice screwed the Gophers, and bad bounces often turn into counter-attacks the other way and yet that didn't happen to any significant degree. The Gophers were the faster team and more chances - they didn't convert enough to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      Would MN have won today if they had played at Kohl Center? I don't know. Maybe Rumpel stands on his head and Wisconsin still get a couple fluky goals. But it would have allowed them to utilize their talents and the skills they have spent years developing and honing (and practicing together all season) to the level that they are able to utilize them every other day of the season.
      Said much better than I and that goes for both teams.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Still doesn't favor your argument. There were very few moments in this game where I thought the ice screwed the Gophers, and bad bounces often turn into counter-attacks the other way and yet that didn't happen to any significant degree. The Gophers were the faster team and more chances - they didn't convert enough to win.
        See my previous post. I want a "level" playing field. One that allows both teams to show off their strengths. Tonight? It wasn't close. It was a crapshoot.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I disagree. Everyone seems to only concentrate on the shots that scored the goals. What led up to the shots is another matter.
          Are you talking about how bumpy ice makes your eyes jiggle?

Comment

See my previous post. I want a "level" playing field. One that allows both teams to show off their strengths. Tonight? It wasn't close. It was a crapshoot.
            Is it not a level playing field when a team that plays outdoors comes to the Metrodome? That doesn't even make sense and clearly isn't representative of the game that was played. The Gophers did show their strengths. They were faster, had more chances and got more pucks to the net. Guess what, they didn't go in enough to win.

btw - the Gophers don't typically allow 3 goals which they did today. 3 goals again that were not created because of the ice surface. How in heck does that mean it wasn't a level playing field? I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Is it not a level playing field when a team that plays outdoors comes to the Metrodome? That doesn't even make sense and clearly isn't representative of the game that was played. The Gophers did show their strengths. They were faster, had more chances and got more pucks to the net. Guess what, they didn't go in enough to win.

btw - the Gophers don't typically allow 3 goals which they did today. 3 goals again that were not created because of the ice surface. How in heck does that mean it wasn't a level playing field? I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.
              We will have to agree to disagree. Normal variations occur (different ice sizes, indoor/outdoor, sure). IMO tonight's variables were so outrageous that it hindered both teams to the point of it hindering the actual sport it represented. I normally don't fly off the handle for this long, unless it's something I truly believe. That is the case tonight.

Comment

This is so wonderful. *snicker*
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  interesting take. UW played as well as they could but to be honest, time of possession, SOG, they were manhandled. for me it was great to see UW win but the constant harping on "defensive" style of play by the BTN crew has to be considered in the recruiting game. if I'm 15 and I'm a forward thinking of going the D1 route I'm choosing to play the wide open run n' gun style. You have to think any kids at this game could see the clear disparity between these two teams. UW played their game, MN didn't and that's why UW won but let's not kid ourselves if they play this another 10x I guarantee MN wins handily in about 7-8 of them.

so in a nutshell UW got lucky. Kudos to Rumple, but gd this is going to be a long 2 years until they get some effing forward talent in madison. I can only hope Kerdiles is still around at that point
                  Time of possession and shots on goal are good indicators of "control of the game," but we all know that isn't the whole story. With shots on goal, obviously quality matters. Quality can be created by quantity (i.e. a flurry of 5 shots in a row will yield more goals than 5 shots spread out), and with more skilled goal scorers making plays. You know that Badgers power play we always complain about? When they aren't dumping and chasing, we as fans still get frustrated from the slow passing along the side without working the puck to someone in position for a good scoring chance.

I'm not saying that's what Minnesota's attack looked like at all, but let's give credit to defense and goaltending doing just enough to pull through, even if they weren't close to being dominant. And yes, Minnesota would win more games than Wisconsin if these same teams played over and over, even on that same rink. (And they did win the season series.) Basically, Minnesota is the better team overall, but it's not fair to say UW got lucky. They earned this win in this specific game. It makes me nervous that they'll have to pull off more upsets like this against UNO and SCSU to finish in the top 6.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    Minnesota is the better team overall, but it's not fair to say UW got lucky.
                    I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Basically, Minnesota is the better team overall, but it's not fair to say UW got lucky. They earned this win in this specific game.

Yep. UW handled the environment better and when they had chances, converted (just) enough of them.

Rumpel had a really good game, but he didn't exactly stand on his head. Most were fairly routine saves.

Nothing "lucky" at all about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Yep. UW handled the environment better and when they had chances, converted (just) enough of them.

Rumpel had a really good game, but he didn't exactly stand on his head. Most were fairly routine saves.

Nothing "lucky" at all about that.
                        While I agree that it would be an exaggeration to say that WI won because they got lucky, I also think it is an exaggeration to say that WI won because they "handled the environment better."
                        My impression was that the environment diminished the the advantage in skill that MN has, and so (given the environment) you had two pretty evenly matched teams.

EDIT: point being, when you have evenly matched teams, the outcome can turn on very small occurrences.
                        Last edited by Stauber1; 02-17-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

The Badgers and Gophers have played 3 games this season on "normal" ice and the cumulative score of those games is 8-5 Gophers. Not a big enough gap to blame the ice for the 4th game's result, IMO.

I had a great time at Soldier field tonight. Outdoor hockey events are among my favorite and it was great to see the Minnesota fans go home crying about the ice. Hopefully Badger fans look at this series as a turning point and it springboards them onto a nice late season run.
                          Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree. Normal variations occur (different ice sizes, indoor/outdoor, sure). IMO tonight's variables were so outrageous that it hindered both teams to the point of it hindering the actual sport it represented. I normally don't fly off the handle for this long, unless it's something I truly believe. That is the case tonight.
                            Ah-oh...do realize what you just did? You wrote "VARIABLES" and I just got a woody. Variables are not outrageous unless proven to be disruptive within a valid quantitative research design Brent...in case they're just different. Sorry, and I assume there may be some on here rolling their eyes and ready to rip on me for being too wordy or whatever, but this is the only way to explain this accurately. There are covariates and confounds for D1 NCAA outdoor hockey that are not efficacious for the same group under different conditions indoors. In other words, both independent (IVs) and dependent (DVs) are fundamentally different, and the regression controls for covariates may involve a completely different multivariate equation (e.g. MANOVA). It is under these NEW quantitative and qualitative conditions that the game is EFFECTIVELY played. It's not wrong, just different. Ok, rip away.

Comment

Don Lucia with a fair assessment of the game:

Badger and Gopher goals (page down for Gopher goals):

http://btn.com/2013/02/17/its-hockey...?cmp=user_post
                              Last edited by HarleyMC; 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                Ah-oh...do realize what you just did? You wrote "VARIABLES" and I just got a woody. Variables are not outrageous unless proven to be disruptive within a valid quantitative research design Brent...in case they're just different. Sorry, and I assume there may be some on here rolling their eyes and ready to rip on me for being too wordy or whatever, but this is the only way to explain this accurately. There are covariates and confounds for D1 NCAA outdoor hockey that are not efficacious for the same group under different conditions indoors. In other words, both independent (IVs) and dependent (DVs) are fundamentally different, and the regression controls for covariates may involve a completely different multivariate equation (e.g. MANOVA). It is under these NEW quantitative and qualitative conditions that the game is EFFECTIVELY played. It's not wrong, just different. Ok, rip away.
                                I appreciate your restraint, I really do

The difference is what I take umbrage with. This wasn't the same game as is played every other game of the year. And I don't like that teams that are built a certain way, trained a certain way, end up having a championship possibly jeopardized because they take the ice in a game that mitigates what they do so well in a typical environment. And I really HATE it when it is my team.

And just to reiterate, that in my humble opinion, what we saw today in no way resembles what we grew up playing at the park.

There is so much I could write about this topic. I'm trying to keep my criticisms as short and succinct as possible, and I realize I'm probably not doing the best job of that. I thought my analogy of the basketball game with the midgets and the 3ft baskets was pretty darn good, but apparently the point was missed by a few people.
                                The obvious retort to my complaints is that "well, MN should have just done more in their other conference games so that today wouldn't have been so important...not lose against Mankato either game, or sweep Tech..." and as a player or a coach, I think that's the right answer. But as an observer, fan, analyst...?

Lucia had a great quote a few years ago about the implementation of shoot-outs to determine winners in tie games, something to the effect of "when NCAA Tournament games are decided by shoot-outs, we should start using them in the regular season."

Comment

Working...
                                X