Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by swimchris View Post
    It is the continuing education school. Clendening, Connolly, Gilroy, Millan all are getting degrees from there. 7 more on the current roster are in CGS. I don't think this is necessarily true for CGS kids, but maybe part of a culture if there is one is because some of the kids we are recruiting are not academically qualified and we put them into a school that separates them even more.

edit: Trivino and Nicastro were also getting degrees from the MET
    Thanks. I edited my original post a bit because it was a little harsh. But that is interesting to know.
    #OneKnight

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      The amount of Stupid in this post is mind-numbing.
      And if anyone here knows stupid its you..

Comment

I brought up met before and offended some... So I want to state that any school is only as good as what you put into it. If you bust your arse in met and go places, good for you- your hard work paid off.

But met college is by equivalent of harvards extension school. Open enrollment. Some classes during daylight, but a majority are night. Students in other schools at bu take electives there (me).

But again, you don't have to apply if you want to start attending met college at bu and earn a degree.

That stated, all incoming freshman players are accepted into bu under the same standards as other freshman and are not admitte to met. They may choose to transfer into met at some point. Some come into cgs and after graduating from there (this is bu's internal junior college. We admit students there who otherwise couldn't get into bu proper and after two years of a chit load of work they are able to go into one of the other schools and study) go to met. Some have been accepted into cas, smg, etc and transferred to met.

I've stated before how I felt about this and don't need to repeat myself.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          *****http://i42.tinypic.com/2r4hllc.jpg******Sorry I hurt your feelings.
          Don't flatter yourself. Your existence has no impact on me whatsoever.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockey east fan View Post
            And if anyone here knows stupid its you..
            Oh SNAP! Talk about a nuclear insult!
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Go do some math, will ya!!!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Nucular, get it right. And it's the Charlie Villaneuva theory, get it right. Yes, we've got some problems down there. Not the least of which is enough space in the rafters at Gampel.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  They do have a team policy. I've actually seen the handout (probably while I was hooking up with a player if you ask the BC crowd), and it's basically what brassbonanza said. Players who are of legal drinking age are allowed to drink on Saturday nights as long as there isn't a game Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday, I assume). There is also a warning right on the handout that being allowed to drink does not mean you're allowed to drink in excess or become belligerent. It says something like, "Go out and have fun, but don't drink so much that you do something you'll regret," and then reminds them that they're still representing the team and the university even when they're out at a bar.
                  Thanks. That sounds like a typical D1 hockey program policy (not knowing all of them), that most schools would follow.

Comment

I don't mind a spirited discussion about academics and the absurdity of what goes on in many universities across the country. Not a bad time to bring it up in the context of BU. We can name the obvious names and tell the jokes about certain one year wonders. Some kids just aren't cut out to be college students. The last place on earth they'd be is in college were it not for athletics.
                    But let's not end the discussion with a mantra about how intelligent the BC football team or Nathan Gerbe or a few more of them over there are, or were. BU may be in crisis mode for the moment, but they never pretented to being Harvard Monday through Friday and Nebraska on Saturday.
                    Each and every school faces these academic issues. BU is being discussed because of the two arrests and not due to any academic scandals.
                    Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      They do have a team policy. I've actually seen the handout (probably while I was hooking up with a player if you ask the BC crowd), and it's basically what brassbonanza said. Players who are of legal drinking age are allowed to drink on Saturday nights as long as there isn't a game Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday, I assume). There is also a warning right on the handout that being allowed to drink does not mean you're allowed to drink in excess or become belligerent. It says something like, "Go out and have fun, but don't drink so much that you do something you'll regret," and then reminds them that they're still representing the team and the university even when they're out at a bar.
                      I understand why such a policy is in place and am not sure I could design a better one. But knowing how young people are (as well as some older people), singling out one night of the week for drinking seems counter to the idea of not drinking to excess. If you can only drink on one night OF COURSE you are going to drink to excess on that night. Hell, if I was an undergrad and Saturday was the only night I could drink, I'd probably go out on Saturday and drink to excess even if I didn't feel like it just because it was "use it or lose it."

I wonder if more alcohol-permitted nights, with stricter limitations on those nights, could lead to more responsible behavior in the long run. I am not an athlete, so I don't know what effects such a policy might have on athletic performance. This policy might be a non-starter for performance reasons. But one night for drinking seems like it has some unintended consequences too.

I also want to make perfectly clear that I don't believe drinking too much excuses or explains the two alleged crimes.
                      #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                        Denial is more than a river in Egypt.
                        Or as Felger says, "...a river in South America..."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Or as Felger says, "...a river in South America..."
                          It's not his fault the geography books at BU are wrong.

Comment

Saw this on Twitter

@CHNJoeMeloni: Source has informed me at least one #BU commit is reconsidering his decision and reaching out to other programs in wake of Nicastro arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
                              Saw this on Twitter
                              Not surprising. Sad, but not surprising.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

My thoughts about this whole mess (and it is a HUGE mess) are the following:
                                1) There is culpability at all levels, I do not think that the blame can be put squarely on ANYONE. First and foremost on these young men who have put themselves in the positions they are in regardless of the outcomes. They are kids on the one hand but on the other hand they are adults adn ultimately there has to be the lion's share pf the burden upon the athlete regardless of the sport or who the athlete is.
                                2) There is fault that has to be found within the coaching staff and as much as I love the man Coach Parker as well. A lot of the so called "rumors" or "stories" that have been floating around for years surely more then once crossed the desk of the coaching staff. "party like a puckstar" was out there to be seen by all. One has to question the change of policy wherein underclassmen were explicity forbidden from going to places like T's etc after games. In addition as Coach Parker himself readily admitted he knew (and this was a known thing amongst anyone that hs any relationship to the team) that Trivino had a drinking problem. One has to question why he was left on his own to correct the problem. A warning of being suspended while serious, was probably not the way to help him. Yes someone needs to want help in order to get it, but you have to believe that had the ultimatum been given either get help or don't play then maybe a lot of this mess could have been avoided
                                3) There is the issue of too much too soon unfortunately. If you look at the culprits it is the group of freshman from the national championship team as well as the incoming class thereafter wherein the problems have been found for the most part. In the past there were guys like Gilroy, Yip, McArthy,Pereira etc... who kept things in check. Some of those players loved to party as much as anyone but they knew full well the limitations and surely they kept the guys in check. There was a lot of self policing going on and one wonders what has happened to that?? Might it be the type of kid recruited? Might it be the message or lack thereof coming down from the top.. I don't think it is really one answer at all.. This is in NO way a knock on Conno who is as stand up as they come but every player has some different leadership skills.
                                4) There should be some sort of mechanism possibly put in place especially for incoming players and especially for those from out of town wherein maybe they can be hooked up with a host family or something of the sort so that they can have a place to go a place to escape to and maybe even some responsibility and connection to the community maybe grounding them a little. I think it would be nice for the players to have some adult connection outside of a coach or a teacher where they can look to for some guidance. One has to believe that faced with the thought of having to answer to a young kid who worships the ground he or she walks on might make the athlete think twice before doing something stupid. I dont think it is just coincidence that the players with local ties or those whose parents are around constantly at games or the like( noonan, gaudet, clendenning, etcc.) certainly have avodied these kind of problems. It is also no coincidence that the players with steady girlfriends have avoided any trouble as well.
                                5) There is definitely issue with the current culture and to be frank fault can be found on both sides; on the athletes side and on those that pursue the athletes as well male or female. One has to wonder how all this has affected those who have left as surely Coyle's departure while "school" related had something to do with the outside of the rink culture as well. How will this affect current players in their decisions to leave ? incoming recruits? and potential recruits, all remains to be seen but there is no question that changes have to be made and new policies regarding off the ice conduct must be implemented....

That being said the past few weeks have surely been quite devastating to current players and former players alike and anyone who cares about this team because there is a sense of family around this team and it's followers that maybe needs to be cultivated even more. One hopes that the team can rally around this and we have to support them and hopefully some great surprises ahead....

GO BU and BC still sucks!!
                                Last edited by ColinWilsonFan; 02-23-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X