Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    It hasn't gotten to everyone on the email list yet. I haven't gotten it yet and neither have a few current students I've talked to. I imagine it will be in everyone's inboxes relatively soon.
    Yup, I got it now.

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I would disagree about December. There's really no precedent that after one incident of that nature, that you put together a task force to take a sweeping look at a culture. One incident does not represent a pattern, two does. Task forces are created, generally, when there's a pattern or indication of a cultural problem. Trivino's incident and very weak accusations in a Freep story that the hockey players are loud and obnoxious (there were no further rumors or allegations of any illegal conduct, unreported rape, unreported assault, etc.) are not enough to suggest that there's a culture of criminal activity pervasive in the program. Now that this has occurred, it would suggest that's possible, and that's what the task force is designed to evaluate.
    I'm also of this opinion, but I do wonder if the departures we've seen in prior seasons should have served as a warning signal (Bourque, Glass, Saponari, etc.) and if the glow of 2009 was enough for us to dismiss these as bad apples and not representative of the program as a whole. Either way, I'm happy that the school is confronting this and even though it might be painful in the short term, that ultimately the hockey program and the school will be better for it.
    BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

I love when peeps pay attention to me!! . (now if only I can get my wife and kids to follow along......)
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Feel better now that this has come out. It tells me a few things (in no particular order of importance):

1) Bob Brown has stepped in and taken over, not the athletic department

2) They aren't tone deaf like the school's admin used to be during the Silber years

3) The whole culture of how these kids behave is being addressed. That is vital to getting to the bottom of this. If Trivino and Fidel didn't have any previous incidents before getting here, does a bad combination of non-supervision, booze and co-eds contribute to their idiotic behavior where in a different setting this never would have happened? While not criminal in nature, this team has had previous instances of thinking normal rules don't apply to it. Witness the entire team getting drunk before the playoffs a few years back. I'm heartened that this is being looked into.

Some might say "this is what he should be doing" but not every school does make the right decisions. So far, so good although I'll expect some negative conclusions to be drawn.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          I love when peeps pay attention to me!! . (now if only I can get my wife OR kids to follow along......)
          FYP, i'd settle for one out of two if i were you

Comment

Originally posted by hpgunner14 View Post
            I'm also of this opinion, but I do wonder if the departures we've seen in prior seasons should have served as a warning signal (Bourque, Glass, Saponari, etc.) and if the glow of 2009 was enough for us to dismiss these as bad apples and not representative of the program as a whole. Either way, I'm happy that the school is confronting this and even though it might be painful in the short term, that ultimately the hockey program and the school will be better for it.
            Reasonable post. I would hope they dig somewhat deep enough to look at least a few years back. In my opinion they need to look for a few common denominators:

- Drinking. Happens everywhere, seems to just be a much bigger problem at BU and is THE common denominator in a lot of past suspension/arrests/etc. Previous issues: Too many to list

- Academics. Are these kids going to class? Is there a way to monitor them better throughout the school year? Should academics be placed at a premium when recruiting more than it is right now. Previous issues: Bourque - how did he ever stay eligible, Coyle - probably should have had a better idea before coming to BU whether academics were a big deal or not, Glass - took academics seriously and got booted.

- Violence. Probably a real problem only when they are wasted. Does the culture allow the players to feel like they can do whatever they want because they are big men on campus? Can you hit on someone's girlfriend in a bar and then kick the crap out of the boyfriend if he doesn't like it? Can you force yourself on a girl if she says no because the culture has given the athletes a mindset, "who are you to say no to me, I'm a BU hockey player"? Previous issues: Sabo, Trivino, Nicastro

- Gambling/Point shaving - oh wait, wrong school. Just wanted to beat rover to the punch.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Oh and one more thing I should have added:

- Todd promising chicks to recruits.
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I don't really see too much of a connection between Chris Bourque not wanting to go to class and play hockey at the same time, and Glass being kicked off the team for whatever reason he was, and the actions of Trivino and Nicastro. There might be some very peripheral links in terms of some kids just not caring about their duties as a student, or as a player all that much, but that's a bit of a leap from there to the coach/program fostering an environment allowing players to commit a heinous crime.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I don't really see too much of a connection between Chris Bourque not wanting to go to class and play hockey at the same time, and Glass being kicked off the team for whatever reason he was, and the actions of Trivino and Nicastro. There might be some very peripheral links in terms of some kids just not caring about their duties as a student, or as a player all that much, but that's a bit of a leap from there to the coach/program fostering an environment allowing players to commit a heinous crime.
                  That's because there isn't a connection between Trivino/Nicastro and academics (for once your brain worked correctly, hurrah!). But it's still a potential cultural issue don't you think? And since this task force is looking at the culture surrounding the team, it's potentially relevant, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Glass - took academics seriously and got booted.
                    Overall a well reasoned post, but when you blatantly play dumb like this it somewhat lowers the validity of your claims.

Comment

No way does this committee find anything other than this being two isolated incidents. If they were to find that the school/athletics department/team knew of or promoted a culture that contributed to these events, the school would be left wide open for civil lawsuits from the families of the two victims. I can't see the school putting itself under the hatchet like that, even if it was deserving.

Comment

The overriding issue is if the hockey team is receiving any oversight whatsoever. That encompasses a lot of things. I'm real curious if its true that the RA's on the floor tried to blow the whistle on them but nothing was done. IF that's true its going to be devastating for the school and frankly I can't see drastic changes not being demanded from the program, including changes in staff. While the Chris Bourque references are stupid (he was warned after his 1st semester and left at the end of the year) as part of the whole review I am curious what is required of them to pass their classes.

Bottom line is to restore credibility the team will have to accept more stringent rules than most programs as a result of their having less rules for some time. Anybody who doesn't like that, be it coaches, staff, or players, needs to leave. In the long run the school will be better off.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

First, no forcing out could occur until both cases are definitively resolved in the courts, and that'll be quite a while, especially if one or both go to trial.
                          Coaches have been "forced out" before simply based off wins and losses. BU doesn't need these cases resolved before they "force" him out...if that's what they wanna do.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            Overall a well reasoned post, but when you blatantly play dumb like this it somewhat lowers the validity of your claims.
                            Hahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh that's right, Parker didn't like his self-assessment.

I, for one, believed that right away when I heard about it. How could I be so forgetful? I won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Coaches have been "forced out" before simply based off wins and losses. BU doesn't need these cases resolved before they "force" him out...if that's what they wanna do.
                              Or they do their own investigation and come to their own conclusions of what is happening on campus regardless of what happens in the criminal cases.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
                                No way does this committee find anything other than this being two isolated incidents. If they were to find that the school/athletics department/team knew of or promoted a culture that contributed to these events, the school would be left wide open for civil lawsuits from the families of the two victims. I can't see the school putting itself under the hatchet like that, even if it was deserving.
                                I don't think you will find this committee assigning blame to anyone. That wouldn't be productive. I would submit, that they will address current policy and possibly have recommendations to correct the existing weaknesses.

Comment

Working...
                                X