Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Speaking of that movie....

I'm at a nudie bar couple weeks ago and out of the corner of my eye I see my bud pull out his phone and starts to take a picture of this strippers butt with a big tat. Before I can kick him he takes the pix and a slew of bouncers fall upon us. His excuse??? "really? You can't take pictures here? Didn't you guys see the hangover?"
    awesome

Comment

Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
      I agree with you 90%. But I was in San Diego last weekend, and my hotel was packed with youth teams in town for the California state "Winter Games" hockey tournament. I wonder whether there were enough players 30 years ago to put on such a thing? I still don't think the sport will ever be giant -- and I'm fine with that, just like you -- but I think it was (is) smart to try growth in California. At least there are mountains, snow, skiing, skating, etc there; at least there are people there who regularly go do winter sports. As opposed to, I don't know, Charlotte or Tampa Bay, where I can't see it reaching that critical sustainable state.
      Good point...

Comment

Just received this in my email inbox. Submitted without further comment:

Dear Colleagues and Students:

For decades the Boston University men’s ice hockey team has been a source of tremendous pride for the Boston University community, on and off the ice. Our student athletes have competed at the highest level of collegiate ice hockey and united generations of students, alumni, and friends who cheer for their success and admire their accomplishments.

Today we find ourselves at a crossroads for the men’s ice hockey program and the University. As has been extensively reported, two members of our team have been charged with assault this academic year. These charges, if ultimately substantiated, involve reprehensible acts. The Boston University community expects that our student athletes, as representatives of the University, adhere to the same high standards to which we hold all members of our community and which reflect the mission and aspirations of our university.

The charges in these cases understandably lead to questions about whether the hockey team's culture and climate have contributed in some way to the actions of the two individuals. The University must address these questions and, if deficiencies are identified, make appropriate and necessary changes.

I am writing to let you know that I am forming a task force of University trustees, overseers, faculty, and staff which will be charged with studying the culture and climate of the men’s ice hockey team and its influence on the behavior of student athletes in our campus community. I stress that the constitution of the task force does not reflect a judgment about the specific facts in the two cases of alleged assault. The determination of both cases must be left to the judicial system.

The constitution of the task force does, however, reflect a University-level judgment that the two incidents indicate something systemic or habitual may foster a team climate that does not comport with the highest standards of conduct we seek to maintain for all members of our community.

I launch this task force with the full support of Head Coach Jack Parker, Athletic Director Mike Lynch, and Bob Knox, Chairman of our Board of Trustees. Coach Parker told The Boston Globe, "I hope it’s a horrible coincidence. I don’t want this to be the culture of our team, and if it is, we’ll change it." Coach Parker's comment is exactly right.

The membership of the task force, its charge, and its work plan will be announced in the next several weeks. The goal is for the task force to offer the University a thoughtful and impartial assessment of the culture and climate of our team, with a view to answering the question whether that culture and climate could have contributed to actions that, in turn, led to criminal charges. I will ask to have a report from the task force early in the summer so that we can begin to address any issues in the coming academic year.

Working together, we will do whatever is necessary to restore the Boston University community’s confidence in the men’s ice hockey program. I look forward to reporting to you on our progress.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Brown
        President
        #OneKnight

Comment

Some context for the above: I received the email at my BU email address. I am a part-time graduate student, so if I received it I assume so did all current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty and staff.
          #OneKnight

Comment

Appropriate response, and a good way to handle any potential outside public scrutiny that may be targeted at the men's hockey team. I doubt the task force will come back with anything terrible earth shattering, but some changes to how the team is handled by donors, administration, and all around may not be a bad idea. Promoting a culture where they can be as much the same as all other students (not 100% realistic, I know) would be a good thing overall for the program I think.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I like this as a start, but I'd be happier if there was an impartial, unaffiliated element involved.
              Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Appropriate response, and a good way to handle any potential outside public scrutiny that may be targeted at the men's hockey team. I doubt the task force will come back with anything terrible earth shattering, but some changes to how the team is handled by donors, administration, and all around may not be a bad idea. Promoting a culture where they can be as much the same as all other students (not 100% realistic, I know) would be a good thing overall for the program I think.
                Should also put to bed any notion that Parker will be forced out, at least in the near-term. Though it doesn't rule out him stepping aside voluntarily
                #OneKnight

Comment

I predict the task force will find that Jackie was exactly correct: It was a horrible coincidence and it's all over now. No changes at all have to be made.

*****http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4651/remaincalmalliswell.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                    Some context for the above: I received the email at my BU email address. I am a part-time graduate student, so if I received it I assume so did all current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty and staff.
                    Interesting. I have a BU email (med student) as well as season tickets, and didn't receive the message at either address.

Anyway, I think this is the perfect response from BU. Some will argue that this should have been instituted in December and who knows what conversations were held back then, but better late than never.
                    BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                      Should also put to bed any notion that Parker will be forced out, at least in the near-term. Though it doesn't rule out him stepping aside voluntarily
                      I really can't see him being forced out based only on these two incidents. First, no forcing out could occur until both cases are definitively resolved in the courts, and that'll be quite a while, especially if one or both go to trial.

Re: impartial, unaffiliated element - The letter says the people on the task force have not been named. I would be quite surprised if the majority of the task force were not mostly people outside of BU, combined with one or two non-hockey related BU administrators/staff. There are firms that do these outside task force things for a living, so it shouldn't be hard to find impartial people to do a full review of the program.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by hpgunner14 View Post
                        Interesting. I have a BU email (med student) as well as season tickets, and didn't receive the message at either address.
                        It hasn't gotten to everyone on the email list yet. I haven't gotten it yet and neither have a few current students I've talked to. I imagine it will be in everyone's inboxes relatively soon.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by hpgunner14 View Post

Anyway, I think this is the perfect response from BU. Some will argue that this should have been instituted in December and who knows what conversations were held back then, but better late than never.
                          I would disagree about December. There's really no precedent that after one incident of that nature, that you put together a task force to take a sweeping look at a culture. One incident does not represent a pattern, two does. Task forces are created, generally, when there's a pattern or indication of a cultural problem. Trivino's incident and very weak accusations in a Freep story that the hockey players are loud and obnoxious (there were no further rumors or allegations of any illegal conduct, unreported rape, unreported assault, etc.) are not enough to suggest that there's a culture of criminal activity pervasive in the program. Now that this has occurred, it would suggest that's possible, and that's what the task force is designed to evaluate.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                            It hasn't gotten to everyone on the email list yet. I haven't gotten it yet and neither have a few current students I've talked to. I imagine it will be in everyone's inboxes relatively soon.
                            It's going out to every student, full time, part time, grad, staff too probably, that's well over 30,000 people, so it takes some time.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                              This. I send a lot of bulk emails in my day job (not spam, I swear!) and they always go out in a staggered way so not everybody receives them at the same time. BU's mailing list is way longer than ours too.
                              #OneKnight

Comment

There needs to be an investigation. BU is going to get hurt by this regardless of the outcome. Not only in lost revenue at hockey games, but in the number and quality of applicants since this is a PR nightmare. I've already had people I work with who's children were considering BU make comments to the effect that they won't be letting their kids go there. Seems a bit reactionary, but the perception that it's a toxic place right now is real and out there.
                                Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X