Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
    I hope it's not oxygen based. I prefer a high percentage of nitrogen to keep things a little less combustible.
    I just breathe the stuff, I don't know what it really is.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

Originally posted by pirate View Post
      I just breathe the stuff, I don't know what it really is.
      *****http://www.stratford.gov.uk/files/images/9117.gif******

Amount of CO2 in Agganis might be a little higher depending on the amount of mouthbreathing NEU fans.
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
        *****http://www.stratford.gov.uk/files/images/9117.gif******

Amount of CO2 in Agganis might be a little higher depending on the amount of mouthbreathing NEU fans.
        That's funny stuff!,count me in! section 106
        Last edited by Happy Husky; 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I don't get the idea that we should avoid this team or that team. This isn't football, where a team with a weak secondary would rather play a running team than a passing team. No matter where you go you'll have to go through a good team. In some ways its better playing your rival than getting smoked by Duluth or somebody like that because you weren't motivated enough for the game (a common flaw in BU teams of the past). Nobody seems to be dominant this year, so there's no excuses. How about BU makes a name for itself this year outside of the campus crime log by winning some big games?
          "AAA-0" Thanks Paddy (RIP)

Comment

In some ways its better playing your rival than getting smoked by Duluth or somebody like that because you weren't motivated enough for the game (a common flaw in BU teams of the past).
            Interesting sentiment. But do you think it was that they "weren't motivated" or that it was a bad matchup? Not sure that I agree that just because it isn't football there are some teams whose style makes it more difficult to play against. A couple of examples: BU always seems to play well against Red Berenson coached Michigan, while they can't seem to beat ANY team that Jeff Jackson coaches (be it Lake Superior State or Notre Dame). Is this a coincidence? Jackson plays that insomnia-curing "keep it on the wall" style where they want to win every game 1-0, while Berenson thinks he can just run everyone off the ice. Look at BC, who doesn't trap. Regardless of whether we win or lose those games, they're usually wide open, up and down great games which are very close. This style seems to be more conducive to BU's game. On the other hand, we seem to have a problem with a team like Providence. Maybe it's because they aren't "motivated," but it seems to me equally the case that traditionally these teams employ a style that is just difficult for us to adjust to - and I think that has just as much to do with it - IMO anyway... I can go all the way back to the 1977 Final Four (as it was called then) when we were one goal down and the ref actually skated over to the bench and said to Parker (who was about to pull the goalie) "don't leave the bench early!" (referring to the extra player coming on before the goalie got all the way to the bench). Sure enough, up goes the arm for "too many men on the ice," killing our chances. And it was obviously very deliberate. There was a HUGE East/West thing back then, not like it is now. But I digress. Yeah, sometimes we just didn't play well (Michigan State a few years ago), but I'm not sure it's because they weren't motivated (and that team went on to win the National Championship). Not in the post-season, anyway. Regular season, absolutely. They're thrown some stinkers, but every team does.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Interesting sentiment. But do you think it was that they "weren't motivated" or that it was a bad matchup? Not sure that I agree that just because it isn't football there are some teams whose style makes it more difficult to play against. A couple of examples: BU always seems to play well against Red Berenson coached Michigan, while they can't seem to beat ANY team that Jeff Jackson coaches (be it Lake Superior State or Notre Dame). Is this a coincidence? Jackson plays that insomnia-curing "keep it on the wall" style where they want to win every game 1-0, while Berenson thinks he can just run everyone off the ice. Look at BC, who doesn't trap. Regardless of whether we win or lose those games, they're usually wide open, up and down great games which are very close. This style seems to be more conducive to BU's game. On the other hand, we seem to have a problem with a team like Providence. Maybe it's because they aren't "motivated," but it seems to me equally the case that traditionally these teams employ a style that is just difficult for us to adjust to - and I think that has just as much to do with it - IMO anyway... I can go all the way back to the 1977 Final Four (as it was called then) when we were one goal down and the ref actually skated over to the bench and said to Parker (who was about to pull the goalie) "don't leave the bench early!" (referring to the extra player coming on before the goalie got all the way to the bench). Sure enough, up goes the arm for "too many men on the ice," killing our chances. And it was obviously very deliberate. There was a HUGE East/West thing back then, not like it is now. But I digress. Yeah, sometimes we just didn't play well (Michigan State a few years ago), but I'm not sure it's because they weren't motivated (and that team went on to win the National Championship). Not in the post-season, anyway. Regular season, absolutely. They're thrown some stinkers, but every team does.
              Paragraphs, please.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                They often come out flat and get smoked. The BC tournament loss in '06, losing to freakin St Lawrence in 2000, hung over team gettting rocked by Maine a few years back in the HE tournamant, lazy game vs UNH in 09 that almost cost them a chance to play for the title, shut out blow out loss to UNH in HE tourney when Bourque as here, etc etc etc. I won't even mention the '94 championship debacle. Look at how many times a BU season ending loss is a shut out or a 1 goal scored affair.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

They often come out flat and get smoked. The BC tournament loss in '06, losing to freakin St Lawrence in 2000, hung over team gettting rocked by Maine a few years back in the HE tournamant, lazy game vs UNH in 09 that almost cost them a chance to play for the title, shut out blow out loss to UNH in HE tourney when Bourque as here, etc etc etc. I won't even mention the '94 championship debacle. Look at how many times a BU season ending loss is a shut out or a 1 goal scored affair.
                  I hear you and I'm not trying to start an argument...a couple of those I agree with...but..sometimes you have to give the other team credit, too.

The '09 game in Manchester was a difficult situation. It was essentially a home game for UNH...the place was going wild and UNH played a great game (and, yeah, I know if it doesn't go in off the defenseman THEORETICALLY we have a guy there to tap it in...but). Millan was fantastic...can you really call that "lazy?"

The BC loss at the Centrum was another case of a hyped-up team that had lost to us (I think) four or FIVE times IN A ROW. It's not like we were far and away the better team, especially when you consider the last ten years of where the programs were relative to each other. That first ridiculous giveaway goal deflated them and the game was basically over at that point.

The St. Lawrence game in Albany was just a battle of attrition. DiPietro made I think 77 saves...at that point it really comes down to luck. The game was so long we actually left before the 2nd game (I think it was Michigan / Colgate or something like that).

We could go on and on. What about McEachern hitting the crossbar against Northern Michigan in '91 after we had come back from 7-4 down to tie?

My point is that, yeah, we obviously look at these things from OUR perspective, but the other team has something to say about it as well. The bottom line is that we are always disappointed when we don't go all the way because the bar is set high for the program, but there are only, what, three teams that have more national championships that we do? That's pretty good no matter how you slice it. I'm not excusing some of the "failures," especially when they have more to do with "off the ice" factors, but, you know, it's hockey. There's probably no other game where there is as high a percentage of "chance." Look at football and basketball, where the favored (or better) team USUALLY wins. It's not like that in hockey at all. Were the Bruins the BEST team in the league last year? I don't think so. There's just too many intangibles in hockey and just to GET to the Frozen Four means you navigated through a mine field and avoided setting any of them off.

Speaking of '09....c'mon, did they really even DESERVE to win the NC? They were AWFUL against Miami and no matter how you look at it, they were pretty lucky. Is that because they didn't play well, were lazy, not prepared, not "up" for the game, or was Miami just better? And they barely beat Vermont in the semis.

All I'm saying is, at some point you have to say maybe they're not "better" by as much as we think. And sometimes we win when we should have lost. It goes both ways and over the long term I think it tends to even out. We look through scarlet-colored glasses, but there are other viewpoints as well. There's a lot of parity in this sport, and the days where reputation was worth a goal or two are gone. All of this stuff is, of course, debatable.
                  Last edited by chickod; 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Exactly. What team hasn't had their fair share of disappointments?

If there's any club at any level that hasn't experienced at least a small handful of crushing losses... then my argument would be that they have simply not played in enough important games. Favorited or not-- a loss is a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                      ...the other half gets annoyed when I become "obsessed" with hockey. As if that was even a thing
                      I always point out to my spouse a few alternative obsessions such as 22 year old blondes, crack cocaine and Maker's Mark.
                      College Hockey seems pretty tame (healthy, even!) by comparison...

Comment

W T F is going on down the street?!?!?!? Especially on Sundays

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...ll_Local_Links

Comment

Thankfully when my college hockey obsession rears its ugly head (which is essentially every weekend from October to April) my wife is either right there with me or completely understanding of my affliction. In a word, she is an 'enabler', which some would argue, is just as bad as being the primary actor.
                          Case in point, my son's college visits last weekend to UVM and St.Michaels just 'happened' to coincide with the BU-UVM series.
                          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                            Thankfully when my college hockey obsession rears its ugly head (which is essentially every weekend from October to April) my wife is either right there with me or completely understanding of my affliction. In a word, she is an 'enabler', which some would argue, is just as bad as being the primary actor.
                            Case in point, my son's college visits last weekend to UVM and St.Michaels just 'happened' to coincide with the BU-UVM series.
                            Letting him look at UVM? You're slacking off.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• He can look all he wants. That may be where it ends however. Gotta love the Gut though.
                              Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              Letting him look at UVM? You're slacking off.
                              Last edited by steakbomb; 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM.
                              Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                                W T F is going on down the street?!?!?!? Especially on Sundays

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrode...ll_Local_Links
                                Well, at least this time it wasn't a hockey player. Sorry that was tacky on my part. Assault is still assault!
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X