Duluth hockey fans warned after racist chants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duluth hockey fans warned after racist chants

DULUTH, Minn. - Students who own season tickets to Minnesota-Duluth's men's hockey games are being warned to shape up after reports of racist chants during recent games against the North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

Athletic Director Bob Nielson sent students a letter warning that inappropriate comments directed at officials or other teams could get them tossed from the arena, or cost them their tickets.
    http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...-racist-chants
    Go Gophers Go.

Re: Duluth hockey fans warned after racist chants

I'll admit, I've used some of the same chants that tUMD students used, the same with some friends of mine. They were never at games, though. Only at bars/tailgates. I subscribe to the "there's a time and a place for everything" philosophy.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Why is so hard for people to grasp the difference between a nickname and a mascot? UND doesn't have a mascot, even with the nickname reinstated.
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Why is so hard for people to grasp the difference between a nickname and a mascot? UND does have a mascot, even with the nickname reinstated.
        I think you mean they don't have a mascot. They have a logo/nickname, but no mascot. See: the Indian for FSU that rides out to midfield for FSU football as an example.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I think these chants are of very poor taste. Very, very poor taste. Not only are they racist, but they are making light of what was essentially genocide.

I'm all for chants, and don't mind looking the other way with some of the distasteful things students chant sometimes, but this definitely crosses some lines.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I think you mean they don't have a mascot. They have a logo/nickname, but no mascot. See: the Indian for FSU that rides out to midfield for FSU football as an example.
            Yup, sorry typing too fast and not doublechecking, thanks.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I agree with mnstateofhockey. Regardless of the reason for the chant, regardless of one's opinion about UND or the Sioux name or anything else, there just really isn't anything funny about some of those things.

Frankly, I know kids will be kids, but the things that student sections chant in general seem pretty embarrassing. Of course, I hear DU more than anyone else, and I know that our arena is widely held (probably correctly) as a crappy example of school spirit, but I just don't understand (and I swear to God I'm not 1000 years old) why vulgarity, rudeness and mean-spirited insults pass for wit and team spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Why is so hard for people to grasp the difference between a nickname and a mascot? UND doesn't have a mascot, even with the nickname reinstated.

Of course they have a mascot, it is a Fighting Sioux, and if you go to their arena, you can see thousands and thousands of images of it.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  Of course they have a mascot, it is a Fighting Sioux, and if you go to their arena, you can see thousands and thousands of images of it.
                  That would be a logo. Not a mascot.

Comment

That would be a logo. Not a mascot.
                    No one from North Dakota wants to admit this, but this argument is mostly semantic.

What they of course mean is that their mascot is only a static 2-dimensional image and not an animated 3-dimensional character of some kind. The point is well-taken in the sense that the image is probably genuinely intended by them to be respectful where the 3-dimensional character always, or at least almost always, becomes a caricature. But the definition of mascot does not exclude the static 2-dimensional image, so literally speaking, yes, The University of North Dakota does have a mascot.

From the OED Online: "A person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck; (now) esp. something carried or displayed for this purpose. Also: a thing (often an animal or personified character) used by an organization, esp. a sports team, as a symbol or for good luck; an emblem."
                    Last edited by duper; 02-21-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                      No one from North Dakota wants to admit this, but this argument is mostly semantic.

What they of course mean is that their mascot is only a static 2-dimensional image and not an animated 3-dimensional character of some kind. The point is well-taken in the sense that the image is probably genuinely intended by them to be respectful where the 3-dimensional character always, or at least almost always, becomes a caricature. But the definition of mascot does not exclude the static 2-dimensional image, so literally speaking, yes, The University of North Dakota does have a mascot.
                      It is semantics, but not. The caricature part is the most important detail, IMO. That's where a lot of teams get/got in trouble.

Comment

It is semantics, but not. The caricature part is the most important detail, IMO. That's where a lot of teams get/got in trouble.
                        I agree with you in principle. But some North Dakota fans get so adamant about not having a mascot, when in fact they do.

And certainly, no one ever gets upset about a caricature of an animal, where I think that North Dakota has been wise to stick with the type of representation they have. Frankly, my whole post here is not to be inflammatory, but for years now, the claim that North Dakota has no mascot has bugged the language stickler in me. Now I'm on record with it, and I think I can leave it alone in future.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                          I agree with you in principle. But some North Dakota fans get so adamant about not having a mascot, when in fact they do.

And certainly, no one ever gets upset about a caricature of an animal, where I think that North Dakota has been wise to stick with the type of representation they have. Frankly, my whole post here is not to be inflammatory, but for years now, the claim that North Dakota has no mascot has bugged the language stickler in me. Now I'm on record with it, and I think I can leave it alone in future.
                          And while I hate UND with such a passion, I do recognize the difference between the mascot/logo argument.

Comment

Although the "smallpox" reference mentioned in the article probably was enough to warrant this reaction, I can't help but assume that there were other, worse stuff being said.

(This from a guy who once unsuccessfully tried to work "Manifest Destiny" into a cheer.)

Oh, and I'm with duper on the mascot issue. They have a mascot, it just takes its form on a 2D image instead of a cheerleader in a goofy costume.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I suppose it doesn't make any difference that the reference to "smallpox blankets" came from the imagination of psuedo-Indian Ward Churchill, who was found by a faculty committee at CU to be both a liar and a plagiarist. The deliberate use of infected blankets never happened. Churchill made it up.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                              X