Duluth hockey fans warned after racist chants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
    The small group of students who started those chants crossed the line, period. Would the line be somewhere else if UND had a different mascot, sure. But the students are not mindless drones, they chose a specific historical event to use as a cheer knowing it was going to get a reaction. As adults (presumably somewhat educated adults) they should know when they've crossed that line from funny innuendo into the vulgar/offensive/obscene. The school took appropriate action and members of the student section have since sent out an apology.

I think a lot of the defensive mindsets from tPB and others is that UMD is taking a lot of heat for this when many fanbases have made similar chants in the past. I have been at Gopher-UND games and heard such chants, as well as Wisconsin-UND games. That does not make it ok, but I understand people trying to defend it as "why are we getting blasted by national media?" The nickname is a very hot issue and many who are opposed to it are using the initial blog that started all this as ammo in their attempts to remove the nickname. Like it or not, UMD is being used as the proof that the nickname creates a hostile and abusive environment. UMD fans should simply file it in dumb things college kids do/have done and move on. Yes it makes us look bad, but it was our student section that got caught and put in every headline. Attempting to deflect the blame simply looks as if you're condoning the actions.

I should emphasize that from all accounts the vast majority of the student section did not chant these cheers and due to a lack of participation they quickly faded away. In the end, I think that this type of peer pressure works best to discourage poor sportsmanship. Everything else becomes overkill and will likely receive pushback.
    I haven't heard other fan bases do it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. If it has happened at Gopher games, then as a Gopher fan I am upset.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that the UMD fan base is worse than other fan bases. I know I'm not trying to paint any fan base with a broad brush. Even UMD's as it pertains to this instance.

I don't take issue with UMD's fan base. I take issue with the individuals that used these chants. And if they apologized, I think we should ALL learn from this and put it behind us.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Duluth hockey fans warned after racist chants

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
      I wasn't aware UND has/had a mascot, I know they have/had a nickname.
      Can I quote the definition of a mascot again please pleasepleasepleeeeaaase! It was so much fun the first time!

Comment

I think we should petition the NCAA for a ruling on this.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
          Can I quote the definition of a mascot again please pleasepleasepleeeeaaase! It was so much fun the first time!
          I prefer the Oxford definition, that refers to a singular person or thing as opposed to the Webster definition that has room for plurals.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            I prefer the Oxford definition, that refers to a singular person or thing as opposed to the Webster definition that has room for plurals.
            The version I quoted was from the OED. It was the online version, but the OED nevertheless. And you appear to know enough about the subject to know that there is no more authoritative source than the OED.

Comment

I'm kind of worried what would happen if Minnesota-Duluth ever played Delta State? Surely they would do something to annoy the Fighting Okra, the world's most violent vegetable. Delta State's Fighting Okra - Fear the Okra!
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                The version I quoted was from the OED. It was the online version, but the OED nevertheless. And you appear to know enough about the subject to know that there is no more authoritative source than the OED.
                We're talking about college sports here. In the realm of college sports there are nicknames, mascots and logos.
                In the realm of college sports this is a logo:
                *****http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/5/1/516133953.jpg******
                In the realm of college sports this is Michigan Tech's nickname:
                *****http://www.huskylink.mtu.edu/s/349/images/editor/Huskies%20text.jpg******
                In the realm of college sports this is Michigan Tech's mascot:
                *****http://www.admin.mtu.edu/alumni/techalum/images/2008-09/featured/blizzard.jpg******
                No matter what the dictionary might say, this is the standard so therefore, North Dakota DOES NOT have a Mascot.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

mascot
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
                    The small group of students who started those chants crossed the line, period. Would the line be somewhere else if UND had a different mascot, sure. But the students are not mindless drones, they chose a specific historical event to use as a cheer knowing it was going to get a reaction. As adults (presumably somewhat educated adults) they should know when they've crossed that line from funny innuendo into the vulgar/offensive/obscene. The school took appropriate action and members of the student section have since sent out an apology.

I think a lot of the defensive mindsets from tPB and others is that UMD is taking a lot of heat for this when many fanbases have made similar chants in the past. I have been at Gopher-UND games and heard such chants, as well as Wisconsin-UND games. That does not make it ok, but I understand people trying to defend it as "why are we getting blasted by national media?" The nickname is a very hot issue and many who are opposed to it are using the initial blog that started all this as ammo in their attempts to remove the nickname. Like it or not, UMD is being used as the proof that the nickname creates a hostile and abusive environment. UMD fans should simply file it in dumb things college kids do/have done and move on. Yes it makes us look bad, but it was our student section that got caught and put in every headline. Attempting to deflect the blame simply looks as if you're condoning the actions.

I should emphasize that from all accounts the vast majority of the student section did not chant these cheers and due to a lack of participation they quickly faded away. In the end, I think that this type of peer pressure works best to discourage poor sportsmanship. Everything else becomes overkill and will likely receive pushback.
                    Glad a UMD fan posted a response like this. I don't think anybody here at UMD is questioning whether or not the chants were offensive. I would, however, argue that they are racist. They are based off historical events. "Trail of tears"? That didn't even happen to the Lakota and Dakota Indians. If we had chanted something like, "(Insert negative stereotype about Native Americans here) Natives", that would have been racist, because we are using a stereotype and generalizing it about a whole group. I think this is somewhat where RWD's argument is aiming at. The UND logo and mascot is inherently racist, and the logo invokes students to dig up historical events that mock that logo. Everyone at UMD admitted that the chants were offensive. We got thrown under the bus for a cause, and that's fine. I think everyone has taken the appropriate steps, and hopefully the entire incident can just be resolved and over with.
                    "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
                      Also people have this Pavlovian response to my name. They immediately see red, fly into a rage, and can't think clearly. Well, some of them can't think clearly with or without my Internet presence. I could say "kittens are cute" and 20 different people would $hit a brick about it.

I can't control your impression, or anyone else's.
                      So it seems we all suffer from the same affliction. We see your name and our brains turn to mush and when UMD fans see the sioux nickname their brains turn to mush. Just as the real problem is the Sioux nickname perhaps the real problem is you?

I agree with Stauber1 - I get what you're trying to say but it was poorly worded in my opinion and gave the appearance of trying to duck the issue of what happened in Duluth.
                      "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        We're talking about college sports here. In the realm of college sports there are nicknames, mascots and logos.
                        In the realm of college sports this is a logo:
                        *****http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/5/1/516133953.jpg******
                        In the realm of college sports this is Michigan Tech's nickname:
                        *****http://www.huskylink.mtu.edu/s/349/images/editor/Huskies%20text.jpg******
                        In the realm of college sports this is Michigan Tech's mascot:
                        *****http://www.admin.mtu.edu/alumni/techalum/images/2008-09/featured/blizzard.jpg******
                        No matter what the dictionary might say, this is the standard so therefore, North Dakota DOES NOT have a Mascot.
                        The realm of college sports doesn't get to define words. As I said in the original post, I like the fact that North Dakota has stayed away from what people think of as a mascot, in what I give the benefit of the doubt was an intent to avoid offensive stereotypes. Well done.

But as for getting upset that people call the combination of name and emblem a mascot, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

That said, I generally go with the desire of UND people not to call it a mascot, and I will continue to do that as I always have (with this one exception that was prompted by someone trying to be a stickler, so I decided to out-stickler them because I'm an arrogant sot). But don't correct me on a semantic argument when I am, in fact, correct.
                        Last edited by duper; 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                          Glad a UMD fan posted a response like this. I don't think anybody here at UMD is questioning whether or not the chants were offensive. I would, however, argue that they are racist. They are based off historical events. "Trail of tears"? That didn't even happen to the Lakota and Dakota Indians. If we had chanted something like, "(Insert negative stereotype about Native Americans here) Natives", that would have been racist, because we are using a stereotype and generalizing it about a whole group. I think this is somewhat where RWD's argument is aiming at. The UND logo and mascot is inherently racist, and the logo invokes students to dig up historical events that mock that logo. Everyone at UMD admitted that the chants were offensive. We got thrown under the bus for a cause, and that's fine. I think everyone has taken the appropriate steps, and hopefully the entire incident can just be resolved and over with.
                          Everyone at UMD admitted that those chants were offensive? I must have missed that...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                            Everyone at UMD admitted that those chants were offensive? I must have missed that...
                            You must have, because I haven't heard a single person who said they were okay.
                            "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                              You must have, because I haven't heard a single person who said they were okay.
                              I have heard a lot of UMD fans justifying it, and not condemning it. BTW, have you ever been over to here?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Correct 1+
                                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                                Eric's Twitter
                                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X