Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota @ Nebraska Omaha, Feb. 24-25: Worst. Drive. EVER.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Nebraska Omaha, Feb. 24-25: Worst. Drive. EVER.

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    8000 seat arena

Every fan I have talked to around here about this topic around here would have a conniption if they built a rink that small.

UNO has averaged more fans than that on an yearly basis for 8 of the 15 years of the program! Your Tribune hockey blogger does not have all the facts on this one.

Huh? You'd be lucky to have an 8,000 seat arena. Half of the seats were empty for the Gopher game last night. It must be a morgue when the doormats visit.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
      Completely? No. Slightly yes.
      Getting dominated for about 2/3 of the game = "slightly" outplayed? Really? Watch the game again and count the number of quality chances. By my estimate, that tally was about 16-8 in MN's favor, and three of those Gopher chances hit the pipe (one of UNO's did).
      You don't get completely out played and end up in OT.
      You are ignoring the importance of a goalie playing well.

Comment

A few observations.

Gopher fan showed well and the ones around us, at least, were a hoot. They added a lot to the atmosphere in the area where we sit, which is mostly populated by season ticket holders like us.

This was the first time I have ever seen the opposing team's fans chasing down an opponent's athletic director for autographs in the concourse before a game. That was hilarious. We are the only school in America where everybody in D-1 hockey knows who our head coach is and also knows who our athletic director is, besides.

I noticed in the warm-ups that Minnesota is the first team we have played in some time that I thought was physically as big as we are.

There wasn't any real stretch of the game where I thought Minnesota overall looked or played any better than we did. There was about a 3 minute stretch after UNO scored short-handed that we really looked like world beaters and had the Gophers on their heels. That was only point in the game where I thought one team really looked better than the other.

The officiating was very shaky, particularly as the game went on, and I thought the game got called more like we were playing on their ice. I am surprised there hasn't been a little more discussion here about that. I've said it before and I will say it again, I never thought it was humanly possible that anything could make me wish for CCHA refs. WCHA officials are atrocious. As the game went on, the refs swallowed their whistles, particularly to the detriment of UNO.

Our defense continues to be the Achilles heel of this team. We have, by far, allowed the most goals of any team with a winning record in the conference. We only gave up 99 goals all season last year. We haven't even gotten to the end of the regular season and we have already given up 96 this year.

On to tonight's game, which looks like it will be played in front of upwards of 12,000.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          "completely outplayed" "best team lost" etc... That's what the rest of the hockey world calls tArrogance. Ask them who they played first round of the WCHA playoffs last year.
          We have a little over a year of you having to find new material.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

MN could win the conference tonight, depending on this game and tUMD's game.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
              Inconsistantly good. Too bad they couldn't have played like that against Bemidgi. Wait for next year Massa is going to be a rock. Like I said earlier, sorry about the organist.
              Stop apologizing for the organist. I thought it was dandy. UNO looked pretty darn good for some big stretches. Most of that second we were on our heels....should be fun tonight.
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Wouldn't it technically clinch at least share of the crown?
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Yes, technically a tie. However, the first tiebreak is head to head. So, if Minnesota wins tonight and CC wins tonight, Minnesota wins the McNaughton Cup, and the #1 seed in the WCHA playoffs.

Comment

The MacNaughton can be shared.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I'm going to assume you are pulling for the Gophers to falter and lose out on the MacNaughton to avoid the "curse" correct?
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        I noticed when the person played Van Halen's "Jump" really poorly. Brent and a few others can vouch that I can do a much better job.
                        Funny, the group I was watching with all kind of looked at each other with the "really?" look when they started playing "Jump"
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There wasn't any real stretch of the game where I thought Minnesota overall looked or played any better than we did. There was about a 3 minute stretch after UNO scored short-handed that we really looked like world beaters and had the Gophers on their heels. That was only point in the game where I thought one team really looked better than the other.
                          I'm going to disagree that the team that not only had more shots but more quality scoring chances was the team to not look better at any stretch during the game.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            The MacNaughton can be shared.
                            F*K YOU! IT's MINE!!!
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Funny, the group I was watching with all kind of looked at each other with the "really?" look when they started playing "Jump"
                              Daddy Mac will make you....

(yes I know that's a different, "Jump"...)

Comment

The officiating was very shaky, particularly as the game went on, and I thought the game got called more like we were playing on their ice. I am surprised there hasn't been a little more discussion here about that. I've said it before and I will say it again, I never thought it was humanly possible that anything could make me wish for CCHA refs. WCHA officials are atrocious. As the game went on, the refs swallowed their whistles, particularly to the detriment of UNO.
                                Welcome to the WCHA. I'm not sure I agree that the swallowing of whistles was only to UNOs detriment, but I have to completely agree, the refs performed exactly as I expect any crew with Shep to do. You never know what they will and won't call, or under what circumstances, there were bad calls against both teams, as well as calls they SHOULD have made against both that were let go for no apparent reason.

I don't mind refs calling things really close, or letting a lot of stuff go, as long as they're consistent throughout the game. Last night, they couldn't seem to make up their minds which way to go with it (typical Shep) which completely ruins any sort of flow or predictability.

Comment

Working...
                                X