Battle of the Valley: Lowell vs. Merrimack 2/24-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Valley: Lowell vs. Merrimack 2/24-25

four points on the line, home ice up for grabs... NCAA tournament in the balance for Merrimack? All this and more only on USCHO. Stay tuned.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Re: Battle of the Valley: Lowell vs. Merrimack 2/24-25

Captain Obvious time - a split helps everyone else, we need a sweep. So easy to type, so hard to do.

Stay out of the box, keep blocking shots, and play OUR game. We do that, I like our chances.

Friday will be my first time in Volpe in a really long time, since before the upgrade(s). Kinda looking forward to it. Is it still frigid?
    Gary

www.umlhockey.com
    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
      Captain Obvious time - a split helps everyone else, we need a sweep. So easy to type, so hard to do.

Stay out of the box, keep blocking shots, and play OUR game. We do that, I like our chances.

Friday will be my first time in Volpe in a really long time, since before the upgrade(s). Kinda looking forward to it. Is it still frigid?
      It was mentioned in the Lowell season thread, but if Lowell takes 2 points this weekend (split or two draws) they will clinch a home ice spot.
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        It was mentioned in the Lowell season thread, but if Lowell takes 2 points this weekend (split or two draws) they will clinch a home ice spot.
        Breaker plus 6 points on merrimack
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

As we head into this weekend, February has not been a kind month to the Warriors. They are heading in the wrong direction, posting a 1-4-1 record this month. One could easily argue that could be worse if it wasn't for Jeff Velleca's last second heroics in Amherst on the 4th. The GAPG which during the season has been in the low two's for the Warriors is 2.83 GAPG in February. Even more striking than stat is the mere nine goals Merrimack has scored this month (four in the Amherst game), clicking at a paltry 1.50 GFPG. On the flip side, UML has eight goals alone against BU in their two game set this weekend and 21 goals this month in five games. Clearly, there are some offensive woes in the east side of the Valley. Due to Lowell's active schedule, I haven't seen Merrimack much in the last five weeks save for the UML game two weeks ago. I can't speak to how much the offensive has been especially snake-bitten over the past three weeks.

I agree with Patman that Merrimack's chance of making a second consecutive NCAA appearance is now in jeopardy. However, I'm sure Merrimack fans right now are more concerned for home ice and the Lowell tiebreaker. Losing either game this weekend would give the tiebreaker to three of the four teams ahead of the Warriors and those aren't good odds when battling for the final home ice slot. Lowell's going to see a very desperate Merrimack team on Friday as their season could be slipping out from under them. Gary's right, stay out of the box and Lowell would have an excellent chance of taking more than two points this weekend.

On Friday, a UML win AND a NU win would clinch third place for the River Hawks. UML would have 32, Maine/Merrimack would have a max of 32...we hold tiebreaker on both. That's the easiest way I can describe it.
          Last edited by John_Fuller; 02-19-2012, 10:02 PM.
          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Who is going to Volpe? I bought a single the other day in Section 12, Row K. Anyone want to meet for a beer before the game?
            Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
              Who is going to Volpe? I bought a single the other day in Section 12, Row K. Anyone want to meet for a beer before the game?
              There's quite a few of us going out for this, but not sure about the pre-game beer.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I work in North Andover but I think I'll pass on Fudruckers. Place is going to be an insane mob scene. My current plan is subject to change but I was going to go to Harrisons and destroy a large roast beef with sauce, cheese, and onions then go to the 99s for a drink or two.

There's other options in North Andover and Lawrence that are a bit further away like The Claddagh, Jamie's, Casa Blanca, etc...

Comment

Huge series from both ends. One team looking to lock up a home-ice spot, the other team fighting for its home-ice (and possibly NCAA) life.

The first game between Lowell and Mack went down as many expected - a showdown of the two best goalies in the conference. I think the deciding factor here is that Lowell is in another league offensivley compared to Merrimack. The River Hawks have the ability to put up a lot of points in a hurry and Merrimack simply can't match up to them in that regard.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Just looking at some (HE only) stats show's the discrepancy on offense between these two teams. Lowell is averaging almost a goal a game more than MC (3.35 to 2.48), while giving up just 0.22 goals per game more (**** BU game!).

Lowell will once again face a team that goes to the box a lot, as MC is averaging 19.1 PIM while Lowell is at 11.5. Lowell and MC's power plays and penalty kills are both pretty much in the middle of the pack.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

UML scores 1 PPG in each game and sweeps, 1-0, 1-0.

Seriously, would again expect very, very tight games, perhaps OT, ENG type games. Good to see this rivalry back.
                      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                        UML scores 1 PPG in each game and sweeps, 1-0, 1-0.
                        FWIW, I can deal with this.
                        Monty

Comment

Seeing Merrimack trying to use sites like Groupon to sell tickets for Friday, I'm assuming the fan base is a bit nervous now? Hopefully they still sell-out, it'll make the game a lot more fun. Knowing there's a bus load of UML students coming, along with quite a few of us that aren't students any longer, should make this a loud game (I hope).

Saturday night, UML is trying to help break the record of the highest attended game between these two rivals (5,122).
                          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                            Seeing Merrimack trying to use sites like Groupon to sell tickets for Friday, I'm assuming the fan base is a bit nervous now? Hopefully they still sell-out, it'll make the game a lot more fun. Knowing there's a bus load of UML students coming, along with quite a few of us that aren't students any longer, should make this a loud game (I hope).

Saturday night, UML is trying to help break the record of the highest attended game between these two rivals (5,122).
                            Monty- that groupon link on the other thread is for the Saturday game at Tsongas, not the Friday game at Lawler.
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              Monty- that groupon link on the other thread is for the Saturday game at Tsongas, not the Friday game at Lawler.
                              Oh **** ...
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X