How long until tournament expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long until tournament expansion?

I will admit that I am a younger fan and still learning about the game. Growing up in Indiana everything is basketball oriented, but I have grown to watch college hockey every weekend during the winter and early spring. With conference realignment affecting hockey just like football, it made me wonder if or more likely when the Frozen 4 will become like basketball and expand its tournament. I know that this thread will probably draw some critique, but the sport is growing as people like me are being introduced to the sport. I can see more programs springing up as the popularity grows. Thus I ask the question when tournament expansion will begin and how many teams would be added?

Re: How long until tournament expansion?

Expansion? We're lucky to have a 16 team tournament with only 58 teams (soon to be 59) playing D-1 hockey.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I guess I should rephrase a little and say how long until more universities and colleges become D-1 and then allowing expansion. With the Big Ten getting involved I can see more major programs in other sports getting involved.

Comment

3 words..Bee, See, Ess. That would fix it all. The only question is, should we call them bowls or something else.

Just razzing you. I see no need to expand unless there is major program expansion. I, personally, don't see it happening. I would love to see it but the regionals will need to sell out regularly before they should expand. The catch is that they really need to double the teams to keep the structure intact.
        Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
        Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

I think it's going to be a while. We've had a lot more contraction over the past decade than expansion. Penn State had a donor throw them $85 million to start the program. And then the guy (or his family, I'm not certain which) went and bought an NHL team for the hell of it. There aren't too many people in this time and market that are going to do that.

God, that was fun...

Comment

depends upon what proportion of teams you want to make the tournament, and how widespread the participation. i can't see any way to justify expanding the number of 'wild cards' above current, and there aren't that many new conferences to receive auto-bids.

let's say you want no more than 25% of eligible teams to make it; you'd need at least 64 teams to hit target; even at 72 teams you probably would stick at a 16-team field.

if you expect around 25% of eligible teams to make the tournament, you'd need at least 80 teams to hit target.

in other words, to many people a 16-team tournament with, realistically, fewer than 58 potential teams (do you ever expect the AHA to have two teams in the tournament? if no, then you have 50 potential teams) already has a few too many slots per potential team. i'd say no serious consideration of expansion unless there are over 70 programs.
            Last edited by FreshFish; 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

And also keep in mind, although there are different rules, Division III has an 11-team tournament for 71 participating teams.

Again, be thankful we have a 16-team tourney. It wasn't that long ago that we were at 12.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I think the day might come, but it is a good ways down the road.

NCAA hockey is easily the one D-1 sport with the most growth upside potential over the next decade or two. The other sports have all basically plateaued in that regard.

To justify expanding the tournament field to say, even 20 teams, IMHO, I think you'd need to have a minimum of another 16 teams playing D-1 hockey.

Problem is, its an expensive sport to fund/endow. Title 9 considerations are also another big factor.

The teams that currently exist can aide this process by getting more people to their games. More people at games equals more revenue. More possible revenue equals more interest by more schools in having D-1 hockey. The attendance figures at most D-1 hockey schools are a joke, which is the biggest obstacle to the expansion of the sport at the collegiate level, to date.

That, and having the Frozen Four in asinine locations like Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  I think the day might come, but it is a good ways down the road.

NCAA hockey is easily the one D-1 sport with the most growth upside potential over the next decade or two. The other sports have all basically plateaued in that regard. Lacrosse

To justify expanding the tournament field to say, even 20 teams, IMHO, I think you'd need to have a minimum of another 16 teams playing D-1 hockey. NCAA rule of max 25% of teams in tourney, we're over that now.

Problem is, its an expensive sport to fund/endow. Title 9 considerations are also another big factor. Exactly

The teams that currently exist can aide this process by getting more people to their games. More people at games equals more revenue. More possible revenue equals more interest by more schools in having D-1 hockey. The attendance figures at most D-1 hockey schools are a joke, which is the biggest obstacle to the expansion of the sport at the collegiate level, to date.

That, and having the Frozen Four in asinine locations like Tampa.
                  See my comments in red.

Comment

Snowballs chance in hell.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Tournament contraction is more likely than expansion.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Snowballs chance in hell.
                        Not even that good.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was "Never"...

"Never..."
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Tournament contraction is more likely than expansion.
                            I am curious. How so?
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              I am curious. How so?
                              We are already over the percentage the NCAA uses to determine how many teams can go into national tournament and we may lose more teams in the future (see UAH).

Comment

Working...
                              X