University of New England to Add Varsity Women's Ice Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of New England to Add Varsity Women's Ice Hockey

The University of New England, an NCAA Division III institution with campuses in Biddeford and Portland, Maine, has announced it will be adding varsity women's ice hockey beginning in the 2012-2013 academic year. UNE is currently building a state-of-the-art rink on its campus and is conducting a search for a head coach. Candidates for the coaching position should send a cover lettter, resume and list of five references to careers@une.edu. Review of materials is currently underway, and the position will remain open until filled.

Re: University of New England to Add Varsity Women's Ice Hockey

Originally posted by UNE Athletics View Post
    The University of New England, an NCAA Division III institution with campuses in Biddeford and Portland, Maine, has announced it will be adding varsity women's ice hockey beginning in the 2012-2013 academic year. UNE is currently building a state-of-the-art rink on its campus and is conducting a search for a head coach. Candidates for the coaching position should send a cover lettter, resume and list of five references to careers@une.edu. Review of materials is currently underway, and the position will remain open until filled.
    Good news, but kinda putting the cart before the horse in a sense at this late date. Might have been a good idea to have done a search and hired someone six to eight months ago to get the word out and do some recruiting eh?

Comment

It looks as if they have at least one forward.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by UNE Athletics View Post
        I heard about this earlier this year.

Great news to see the official announcement. Now I'm halfway there to my prediction of two teams announcing they were adding.

I gotta imagine they'll look at joining the ECAC East? But maybe with the late start, they'll have to be independent for a year like Stevenson.

Comment

not far behind this new crowd is SUNY Canton. Nothing official yet but they are taking resumes for the head coaching job.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
            not far behind this new crowd is SUNY Canton. Nothing official yet but they are taking resumes for the head coaching job.
            Have also heard this as well...They are making no bones about that they plan on putting both men's and women's varsity D-III teams out on the ice in the near future.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
              So can they create a SUNYAC league for women similar to the men's side? Enough teams?

Comment

Plattsburgh, Oswego, Cortland, Buffalo State, Potsdam, and Canton would make 6. The downside is that would leave ECAC-West with 4 teams: Elmira, Utica, Neumann, Chatham. ECAC-East might have to split to keep ECAC-West viable. I'm deliberately leaving RIT out because of the are they/aren't they with D-I.
                Last edited by Tweedle Dee; 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM.
                RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Cornell??? Aren't they a DI school?

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                    Cornell??? Aren't they a DI school?
                    I even double checked what I typed and missed that. My bad.
                    RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      So can they create a SUNYAC league for women similar to the men's side? Enough teams?
                      Originally posted by Tweedle Dee View Post
                      Plattsburgh, Oswego, Cortland, Buffalo State, Potsdam, and Canton would make 6. The downside is that would leave ECAC-West with 4 teams: Elmira, Utica, Neumann, Chatham. ECAC-East might have to split to keep ECAC-West viable. I'm deliberately leaving RIT out because of the are they/aren't they with D-I.
                      I asked this question a few years ago when Potsdam added women's hockey and I was told by the SUNYAC offices at that time that they WOULD NOT explore having a SUNYAC women's division until there were seven teams playing so they could have an automatic bid. Now, things obviously could have changed since then but I have to imagine Plattsburgh would be none too pleased to have to give up their AQ without the promise of a new one in the new league.

Comment

Working...
                      X