X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Michigan vs Michigan 2/17-2/18

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Game one in the books

Not much to say about the refs that hasnt been covered in every ccha post this season- deplorable.

4-1 Michigan
    I was just sad they didn't call everything a cross-check. A few calls did seem of the bad luck variety. Very happy to see NMU take fewer penalties, though. Overall a pretty good game, where special teams ended up being the margin.
    Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
      I was just sad they didn't call everything a cross-check. A few calls did seem of the bad luck variety. Very happy to see NMU take fewer penalties, though. Overall a pretty good game, where special teams ended up being the margin.
      I didn't have an issue with some of the Michigan penalty calls. I did have an issue with a blatant crosscheck that didn't get called against NMU, though.

Odd that that the stripes called five straight against the Wolverines and let other stuff go. (The Sparks penalty was a head scratcher.) 0-6 on the PP and giving up PPG's on the only two PP chances Michigan had probably was a major factor in the game.

I don't think Coreau was particularly sharp, either. The Guptill deflection, DeBlois breakaway and Moffie bomb were all five hole. I think he fought the puck in the first half of the game and settled down later.

Hunwick was good, but also had a ton of luck and defensive help when he was out of position many times.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        I didn't have an issue with some of the Michigan penalty calls. I did have an issue with a blatant crosscheck that didn't get called against NMU, though.

Odd that that the stripes called five straight against the Wolverines and let other stuff go. (The Sparks penalty was a head scratcher.) 0-6 on the PP and giving up PPG's on the only two PP chances Michigan had probably was a major factor in the game.

I don't think Coreau was particularly sharp, either. The Guptill deflection, DeBlois breakaway and Moffie bomb were all five hole. I think he fought the puck in the first half of the game and settled down later.

Hunwick was good, but also had a ton of luck and defensive help when he was out of position many times.
        You are right on Streaker. I also thought a couple of the penalties on UM were questionable. And Hunwick did have a bit of good fortune where Coreau did not. But it all comes down to special teams in this one.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Davyd, were the Big10 announcers in house or in Chicago? Last night on the Redwing broadcast Ken Daniels mentioned he and Micky Redmond would be calling the game in Ann Arbor this afternoon. We've had Ken do a Wildcat broadcast in the past but I'm not sure about Mick. A special treat for Cat fans around the country!

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
            Davyd, were the Big10 announcers in house or in Chicago?
            They were in Chicago.

Comment

The B1G announcers were in Chicago. Apparently, it costs them something on the order of $7,000 to do a game like this and $40,000 when they send a production truck and live people to a game. It also means that the only veiws available for replay are those in-house. (usually, the refs can look at the above goal, plus any other cameras at the game, plus the feed into the truck. Last night, no truck, no B1G replay)
              Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post

I really questioned the elbow penalty against Merrill at open ice. Jon's head was down, and that sure looked like a clean, solid check. I was stunned that they seemed to disucss whether it was a hit to the head, and a major against Northern...

After the last goal, mrs alfa quickly commented that most of the goals came from the left of Coreau, and he sure struggled seeing that side.

Comment

One non-call was the one where the Michigan player (Lynch I think) had a breakaway with one Wildcat back. There was a big hit just inside the blue line. The announcers said it was contact all above the hips. Then on replay they said it was actually all below hips and a penalty could have been called. In slow mo you could see the Michigan player juke to go behind the NMU player. The Wildcat stuck his leg out as he was beat. At least it was tripping, at most Kneeing.
                  No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Davyd, were the Big10 announcers in house or in Chicago? Last night on the Redwing broadcast Ken Daniels mentioned he and Micky Redmond would be calling the game in Ann Arbor this afternoon. We've had Ken do a Wildcat broadcast in the past but I'm not sure about Mick. A special treat for Cat fans around the country!
                    UM Band is correct. They were in Chicago. Matt Sheppard was here at Yost. He's apparently the one who notified NBT (Network of the Big Ten) that it was "NMU" not "UNM" playing against the blue and yellow. Apparently he was none too happy about it. From what I understand the announcers also had Nate Taurance playing for "UNM" last night. A simple check of the CCHA website and the line charts would show there was no such person dressed for NMU at any time this season. The production and preperation were deplorable. Imagine the uproar if they had put "MU" up for the Ann Arbor team. Someone would have lost their job! Bush league all the way!
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
                      They were in Chicago.
                      You mean to tell me they were not in the building calling the game? What a joke

Comment

Well, to put it mildly, our season is on the line tonight... I understand that if we lose, we still play in the CCHA playoffs and against LSSU next week, but I feel it all rests on tonight's game...

A loss would put us down to about 18-20th in the PairWise... The only way that gets made up is perfection against LSSU and our 1st and 2nd round CCHA opponents... Given that 2 of those 3 series would also be on the road is the secondary kick in the cherries...

NMU showed that they can play with UM in the 2nd period and start of the 3rd last night.... The out-hustled and outworked the Wolverines during that timeframe... By a wide margin even... Unfortunately we shot ourselves in the foot with horrible passing and puck control during that time as well... The PP has already been mentioned... That MUST improve tonight to have a chance....

Got to guess that Coreau will be in net...

No matter how you look at it, tonight is a "pressure" game for the Cats... They have to keep their heads on straight and show up ready to go to work... Grab the lunch pail, and let's go!

GO CATS! GO CATS! GO CATS GO!!!
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          Well, to put it mildly, our season is on the line tonight... I understand that if we lose, we still play in the CCHA playoffs and against LSSU next week, but I feel it all rests on tonight's game...

A loss would put us down to about 18-20th in the PairWise... The only way that gets made up is perfection against LSSU and our 1st and 2nd round CCHA opponents... Given that 2 of those 3 series would also be on the road is the secondary kick in the cherries...

NMU showed that they can play with UM in the 2nd period and start of the 3rd last night.... The out-hustled and outworked the Wolverines during that timeframe... By a wide margin even... Unfortunately we shot ourselves in the foot with horrible passing and puck control during that time as well... The PP has already been mentioned... That MUST improve tonight to have a chance....

Got to guess that Coreau will be in net...

No matter how you look at it, tonight is a "pressure" game for the Cats... They have to keep their heads on straight and show up ready to go to work... Grab the lunch pail, and let's go!

GO CATS! GO CATS! GO CATS GO!!!
                          According to Davyd's tweet, Ellingson is in net. At least to start the game. Personally, I think that is a mistake. I understand Coreau gave up 4 goals last night but he gives the Cats their best chance.

As far as the Pairwise, reality is finally setting in as we wind down the regular season. With only a partial season to go by, the rankings I felt were a little misleading as far as NMU was concerned. Now with their schedule winding down they are falling to where they should be.

Today's game could get ugly for the Cats. I just have a bad feeling. Go Broncos! Go Redhawks!

GO CATS!!!

Comment

According to Davyd's tweet, Ellingson is in net. At least to start the game. Personally, I think that is a mistake. I understand Coreau gave up 4 goals last night but he gives the Cats their best chance.

As far as the Pairwise, reality is finally setting in as we wind down the regular season. With only a partial season to go by, the rankings I felt were a little misleading as far as NMU was concerned. Now with their schedule winding down they are falling to where they should be.

Today's game could get ugly for the Cats. I just have a bad feeling. Go Broncos! Go Redhawks!

GO CATS!!!
                            Boy was I wrong. Ellingson was outstanding tonight. A solid overall performance by the boys. A couple of bad mistakes were the difference.

Go Broncos!! Go Redhawks!!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              UM Band is correct. They were in Chicago. Matt Sheppard was here at Yost. He's apparently the one who notified NBT (Network of the Big Ten) that it was "NMU" not "UNM" playing against the blue and yellow. Apparently he was none too happy about it. From what I understand the announcers also had Nate Taurance playing for "UNM" last night. A simple check of the CCHA website and the line charts would show there was no such person dressed for NMU at any time this season. The production and preperation were deplorable. Imagine the uproar if they had put "MU" up for the Ann Arbor team. Someone would have lost their job! Bush league all the way!
                              Don't take it personal, the BTN hasn't figured out how to produce a Hockey game in 4+ years. They are absurd, the announcers are never at the game either, always in Chicago and merely talk the entire time. And usually not about the game either. The only thing worse is the horrible camera work and zero production skills. I've seen parents with cam-corders do a better job of recording a hockey game.

I know you and every NMU fan has "red-headed step-child disease" when it comes to the B1G but you're not doing yourself any favors...
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                Don't take it personal, the BTN hasn't figured out how to produce a Hockey game in 4+ years. They are absurd, the announcers are never at the game either, always in Chicago and merely talk the entire time. And usually not about the game either. The only thing worse is the horrible camera work and zero production skills. I've seen parents with cam-corders do a better job of recording a hockey game.

I know you and every NMU fan has "red-headed step-child disease" when it comes to the B1G but you're not doing yourself any favors...
                                Sorry, it's not a red headed step child thing. The ridiculously poor production would have been no less heinous had it been Ferris or Western. Or, as I pointed out, the blue and yellow.

Comment

Working...
                                X