Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIII Championships to merge with DI FF starting in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIII Championships to merge with DI FF starting in 2015?

According to this report, the NCAA is seriously considering it and are working on making it happen.

http://www.d3hockey.com/notables/201..._merge_with_DI

This could have a ripple effect on a lot of things such as ice conditions. Hotel accommodations, for example, the city would need hotel space for up to 4 more teams plus staff and fans. It will also likely raise ticket prices and make practice time very limited.

What does everyone else think of this idea?

Re: DIII Championships to merge with DI FF starting in 2015?

I would imagine that D3 would be Friday-Sunday and D1 would be Thursday-Saturday or vice versa. No way do they make them the same gates.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
      I would imagine that D3 would be Friday-Sunday and D1 would be Thursday-Saturday or vice versa. No way do they make them the same gates.
      Even so, thats 3 more games plus roughly 6 extra team practices over the 4 day span. By the time we reach the championship games, the ice will be in rough shape.

Comment

I blame Jason Zucker.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Rennell View Post
          Even so, thats 3 more games plus roughly 6 extra team practices over the 4 day span. By the time we reach the championship games, the ice will be in rough shape.
          I don't know how many practices take place at the X, but during the WCHA Final Five there are six games in three days, including a Sat afternoon Wild game, and I haven't noticed any problems with the ice.
          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
          UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
          Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
          Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
          UMD Football: 2008, 2010
          UMD Men: 2011

Comment

DIII Teams could play at a local HS rink on the same weekend. It's not like they have more then 5 fans.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The D-III people must be tired of having their championship determined on Olympic ice, when most play on smaller-than-NHL ice.

Comment

It would make more sense to me to include the women's D-I championship than the men's D-III, and that doesn't make much sense either.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  DIII Teams could play at a local HS rink on the same weekend. It's not like they have more then 5 fans.
                  Boy, do you have no freaking clue what you're talking about.

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I wonder how they'll work the timing out. As it is, the women's D-I and both genders D-III seasons end almost a month earlier than the men's D-I season.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Boy, do you have no freaking clue what you're talking about.
                    If they had such a great following, they wouldn't be trying to merge the event with another one to prop it up.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

If they had such a great following, they wouldn't be trying to merge the event with another one to prop it up.
                      Take a trip to the northeast (specifically NY and VT) and you'll find you are sorely mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        It would make more sense to me to include the women's D-I championship than the men's D-III, and that doesn't make much sense either.
                        FYI, the City of Omaha made just such a proposal to the NCAA a few years back. City leaders have tried relentlessly to get a Frozen Four here.

The City proposed having the men play at the Centurylink Center and the women at the Civic Auditorium (capacity for hockey is 8,314), which is just a few blocks away from Centurylink.

Omaha's unique situation, having two large arenas so close together (well, Columbus could pull this off, too), with hotels and the city's entertainment district also very close by was something the city thought the the NCAA would bite on. They didn't. I forget who did get the bid and what year, specifically, but it was obviously since the Centurylink Center was built, so, in the last decade or so.

This is a great idea, for whatever city gets the nod, if they do it. I wonder if it would detract attention from one event or the other--having both in the same city at the same time.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Lacrosse already does this with having the DI, DII and DII championships all on the same site on the same weekend. This year the DI games are on 5/26 & 28 and the DII and DII games are on 5/27. I think this is a good idea as more fans will be in attendance and will be exposed to more games with no down days. It could become a 4-day affair showcasing the best teams in all divisions. The traditional cities that have hosted the FF have a number of rinks that could be used for practices so I don't think there would be an issue with teams needing practice facilities. For example when MSG is finished with it renovation in NYC, the twin rinks at Chelsea Piers a few blocks away could be used as a practice facility. In Denver, the two rinks at DU could be used for practice with the games being held at the Pepsi Center downtown. Minnesota, Boston, etc. have more than enough rinks where practices could be held. I like the idea.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

LOL. Yeah, provided this is happening some place where there is high school hockey. There sure isn't at any high school in Nebraska (although there has been recent, serious discussion about this).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Take a trip to the northeast (specifically NY and VT) and you'll find you are sorely mistaken.
                              Look, I'm a D1 fan. I've followed Merrimack and Maine for over 25 years now. I also love hockey and have gone to several D3 games each year. I've had friends play for Norwich and several play for NESCAC schools. With the exception of Norwich, Middlebury, Plattsburg, Oswego, D3 crowds are very sparse. Also, even if you get everyone who goes to those games to follow their team to the Frozen Four, that's 2000 per team.

Comment

Working...
                              X