Oswego Vs Plattsburgh - 2012 Whiteout Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oswego Vs Plattsburgh - 2012 Whiteout Game Thread

It's that time of year again with one of the biggest rivalry games in all of DIII less than one week away. Will Oswego's current unbeaten streak of 5-0-1 continue, or will this be the game Plattsburgh starts it's own streak? Oswego is tied at #1 in the nation for offense with 4.78 Goals per game, compared to Plattsburgh's rating at #22 with 3.52 goals per game. On defense Plattsburgh and Oswego are both tied at #3 both averaging 1.87 goals per game. This year like many before it looks like a game that won't disappoint, with both teams constantly rated among the top 3 in the nation all season.
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Re: Oswego Vs Plattsburgh - 2012 Whiteout Game Thread

all I have to say is I have been to the last 2 Oz/platty games at the CC, and wow what a deal for 8 bucks........ok maybe I will have more to say later..ps looks like the students are really as well as they lined up this moring coming straight from the bars to line up to get tiks,picture is on the oz thread.......
    Last edited by bakdraft21; 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

While normally (or maybe in 2011) I would feel more comfortable coming into the Campus Center, you have to be worried at the way Plattsburgh has been playing or more how they are finishing and there the lack of. Playing down to the level? Lack of focus? Little of both? No idea but Oswego is coming in on the other end of the stick 3-0-0 GF 22 vs GA 4 while Plattsburgh hasn't had a win over 2 or more in nearly a month allowing teams to come back. Could it be seen as a good thing that Plattsburgh will be use to a tight game where Oswego hasn't had a one goal game since 2011 (excluding the 0-3 loss to Neumann). If Plattsburgh can keep the foot on the gas for 60 minutes, they have as good as a shot as anyone, even with Oswego playing an A+ game. But if they get up and go into cruise control, Oswego is not a team you want to give momentum to.

Having said all that there is actually a tad more pressure on Oswego then Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh still has a shot at first place, while they can not drop any lower then 2nd. Oswego (while an 0-1-1 weekend is highly unlikely) needs to win Saturday to really make sure Potsdam doesn't matter. Plattsburgh really has nothing to lose, not so sure that is a good thing for Oswego if there is one thing they have going against them (and probably the only thing).
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

my biggest concern is penalties for Oswego, if we go to the box Plattsburgh is going to make us pay for it, and we can't really count on them going to the box to even it out. This will be a close game and I can tell you there is a TON of buzz around campus, the students are psyched and will be bringing their excitement to the CC.

Comment

You are on the money 10-spot...play 60 minutes 5 on 5 and I like our chances...give the Birds a few too many man advantages and the student section will be asleep by the middle of the second period...
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            ...No idea but Oswego is coming in on the other end of the stick 3-0-0 GF 22 vs GA 4 while Plattsburgh hasn't had a win over 2 or more in nearly a month allowing teams to come back. Could it be seen as a good thing that Plattsburgh will be use to a tight game where Oswego hasn't had a one goal game since 2011 (excluding the 0-3 loss to Neumann)...
            This is a great point and should make for some fun debate during the build-up. Honestly, it's something I have thought about a ton in recent years. The Lakers are the most talented team on the ice for a large majority of their games during the season. This makes it all the more dicey (as a fan) when they are in tight games because you know they don't have nearly as much experience as other teams do.

I will echo the last two posts - this game could very well come down to special teams and which team stays out of the box more. Oswego is top 10 in both PP and PK. Plattsburgh is a ridiculous 93.4% on the PK this season - they've only given up 5 goals in 76 chances. I'm not sure how much I like the Lakers' chances of putting one in the net with the man advantage despite converting slightly over 1/4 of the time. That is why they have to limit their penalties - they probably can't count on getting more than one PPG themselves in this one.

Both teams are undefeated when either leading or being tied after 2 periods. In a rivalry game such as this, I think you can throw those records out the window if it's at least a one goal game going into the 3rd. Looking forward to a great game.
            Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
            08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
            2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Just a little FYI for those looking for hotel rooms for Oswego & Cortland games, I got the Doubletree Hotel Syracuse with a bid on Priceline of $51 a night.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

This should come as no surprise - the game is officially SOLD OUT - we now return to your regular programming....
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping to get student tickets, luckily I bought some tickets back in October as backups in case I couldn't get any

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    While normally (or maybe in 2011) I would feel more comfortable coming into the Campus Center, you have to be worried at the way Plattsburgh has been playing or more how they are finishing and there the lack of. Playing down to the level? Lack of focus? Little of both? No idea but Oswego is coming in on the other end of the stick 3-0-0 GF 22 vs GA 4 while Plattsburgh hasn't had a win over 2 or more in nearly a month allowing teams to come back. Could it be seen as a good thing that Plattsburgh will be use to a tight game where Oswego hasn't had a one goal game since 2011 (excluding the 0-3 loss to Neumann). If Plattsburgh can keep the foot on the gas for 60 minutes, they have as good as a shot as anyone, even with Oswego playing an A+ game. But if they get up and go into cruise control, Oswego is not a team you want to give momentum to.

Having said all that there is actually a tad more pressure on Oswego then Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh still has a shot at first place, while they can not drop any lower then 2nd. Oswego (while an 0-1-1 weekend is highly unlikely) needs to win Saturday to really make sure Potsdam doesn't matter. Plattsburgh really has nothing to lose, not so sure that is a good thing for Oswego if there is one thing they have going against them (and probably the only thing).
                    Well I would imagine they will have no problem with focus come friday night, if they do then there big trouble for the rest of the season, but im sure emery will get them focused and as a former player,the road crowd which will be 3000+gets you juiced as well......as for playing down.. NOT a factor here.......lets get ready to rumble.. will be a close game for sure...... and YES the home team seems to have more pressure on them....

Comment

Someone will be cooked

Originally meant to post this here.
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Plattsburgh's Sir Quinnipiac looks like a goaltender that can steal this game for the Cardinals - the Lakers already ran into such netminding in both their non-win decisions at home, and the results were extremely frustrating for the crowd and the offensive juggernaut. Oswego, compared to seasons of recent memory (and earlier this year even), is playing fantastically disciplined hockey right now - obviously not on the same level as Plattsburgh, which is just fanatically good. Get Cadieux and the Cardinal defense to frustrate the Lakers attack for more than the first half of gameplay (translation: NO goals), Platty gets a really dirty goal or two, and stupid penalties may occur for Oz in frustration mode. It hasn't been an issue lately, but Emery has an evil power about him that just steers Oswego to the penalty box - I pray it won't happen this time OR in the near future.

It seems to me quite likely that, if Oswego jumps Cadieux early, and the puck isn't dicked around with too much in the D zone for Oz, this will be Oswego's match to give up. The Lakers' firepower is overwhelmingly strong right now, with any line being capable of striking quickly and often, and although their best defense is their extended offensive possessions, Hare is a fantastic asset along with some very capable D-men. Oswego has much going to their favor.

I'm not sold on either club being "more into the game" - Oswego has plenty to consider in rankings for this match, while Plattsburgh would put a final burst for the top SUNYAC spot. Oswego may disadvantage themselves by cockiness, or Plattsburgh's less stellar road play could haunt them. The crowd is subject to the tide of the game - it could swing either way. Bottom line is that both clubs will do well, by putting their best hockey forward in yet another epic match of DIII titans.
                        "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                        this is for you."
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

I'd just like to point out that over the last 7 Games Oswego has averaged 8 Penalty minutes per game, over that same stretch Plattsburgh has averaged 8.857 penalty minutes per game

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                            I'd just like to point out that over the last 7 Games Oswego has averaged 8 Penalty minutes per game, over that same stretch Plattsburgh has averaged 8.857 penalty minutes per game
                            John Everett
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              John Everett
                              RU saying the reffing MAY come into play?? AAAAAAAAAH the XXXXXXXX factor, and I can still swear that Murphy had on a RED T-shirt under his Zebra suit 2yrs ago in the CC....Lets hope we dont even notice the refs in this game

Comment

Working...
                              X