Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Originally posted by AggiesHockey View Post
    Rulebook states that if it's avoidable after the puck is gone, then it's not a check. It's a penalty.
    If that's the rule then the hit was late. No question about it.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I'd like to see that as well. I do find it funny that he's arguing this though. Charging to me is a much worse offense than interference. He seems to want to mitigate what Rau did by saying it wasn't interference? Seems silly to me.
      That was kinda my point. People were all up in arms about it being a "late hit", and that wasn't even why the hit was dirty. It was a dirty hit because he took around 8 strides to make the check, and he hit Zucker in the head.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        That was kinda my point. People were all up in arms about it being a "late hit", and that wasn't even why the hit was dirty. It was a dirty hit because he took around 8 strides to make the check, and he hit Zucker in the head.
        ...and it was late.

Comment

Well, it was a late hit.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            If that's the rule then the hit was late. No question about it.
            I didn't see that in the rule either, but in looking at the play as it unfolded, the hit served no hockey purpose. Zucker was stationary and showing no intent to do anything further, meaning that there was no hockey advantage to hitting him.

You "finish a check" to prevent the player who just moved the puck from continuing on with the play or to change the trajectory of the pass/shot. Since Zucker was simply standing there, Rau wasn't doing either of these. Rau's only reason for his charge was to physically punish the player, obviously. There was no continuation aspect in this play as Rau was not engaged in any way with Zucker.

Had the same thing happen in a pee wee game last year and the ref threw out our player and said that there was no hockey play to that hit and our player's only motivation was to punish. We didn't argue it in the least as that's exactly how we saw it too. Completely unnecessary hit and not a good hockey play.

The Rau play wasn't simply charging, it was also late. Whether or not late equates to the interference penalty doesn't really have any bearing on whether the contact happened late. The lateness can just be a modifier to the charge because in being so late, it resulted in Zucker not expecting the hit and being defenseless.

Call it roughing or unsportsman like conduct if you want. I'll call it late.

Comment

late!

Comment

Well, it was a late hit.
                According to the rules, it really wasn't

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  ...and it was late.
                  Apparently not

Comment

Ok, enough for me. I've said my piece

Comment

According to the rules, it really wasn't
                      Please post this "rule" from a credible source.

I don't mean post your friend, the hockey official's opinion. Post the rule itself that you are quoting.

Comment

Good explanation of the act of "finishing a check" as it relates to the NHL:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/03/14/on-finishing-the-check/

"Had Savard been pursuing the puck as opposed to just having shoveled it along the boards, Hunwick probably would have been slapped with an interference penalty on the play. Instead, Hunwick is allowed by NHL rules to rub Savard out along the boards. Savard himself even declared the hit perfectly legal, and under NHL rules – it is."
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Good explanation of the act of "finishing a check" as it relates to the NHL:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/03/14/on-finishing-the-check/

"Had Savard been pursuing the puck as opposed to just having shoveled it along the boards, Hunwick probably would have been slapped with an interference penalty on the play. Instead, Hunwick is allowed by NHL rules to rub Savard out along the boards. Savard himself even declared the hit perfectly legal, and under NHL rules – it is."
                          Don't cite the NHL. Cite the rule.

It was late.

Comment

Don't cite the NHL. Cite the rule.

It was late.
                            I'll look for the rule book after I get off work. I'd like to see the actual wording too. I'm guessing I won't find any penalties for "late hits". I'll let you know the actual definition of interference though

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              It's really a dumb argument I admit because it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things or effect the outcome. I have just heard a lot of people refer to the hit as a "late hit". There isn't a penalty in hockey for a "late hit".
                              Oh, then it must not have been late. What an idioitic statement. There isn't a specific penalty for pulling a knife out of your waistband and stabbing someone with it, but guess what? They would still call a penalty.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Oh, then it must not have been late. What an idioitic statement. There isn't a specific penalty for pulling a knife out of your waistband and stabbing someone with it, but guess what? They would still call a penalty.

Not in the NHL.

Comment

Working...
                                X