Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
    You're arguing semantics here only to make yourself feel better about being "right". It was a late hit due to the fact that he had released the puck and was in a defenseless position. If it weren't late and he still had the puck it wouldn't have been late. Therefore, it was a late hit. The reason, presumably, that he was suspended is because he went in high, he went in late (ie there was no reason to "finish the check"), and he hit a defenseless man that no longer had the puck. It was just plain old dirty. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides, it wasn't called interference, it was called boarding. It's a moot point that you're trying to make and really offers no substance. I have no idea why this is such a big issue that it's not being classified right in your mind. He did it. It was a bad thing for him to do. Hopefully he doesn't do it again. And it's done.
    Of course I'm arguing semantics, and I specified that (not in those precise words) numerous times. Why is it such a big deal that I'm pointing out the improper classification of the hit by certain posters? I understand it wasn't called interference. That's exactly the point I was trying to make to those calling it a "late hit". It wasn't.

I agree, it doesn't change the outcome of the call, but I did think it was interesting enough to mention. You clearly don't think it was interesting or useful discussion. I respect that. Please ignore if it bothers you. I've made my point, so I'm content.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Of course I'm arguing semantics, and I specified that (not in those precise words) numerous times. Why is it such a big deal that I'm pointing out the improper classification of the hit by certain posters? I agree, it doesn't change the outcome of the call, but I did think it was interesting enough to mention. You clearly don't think it was interesting or useful discussion. I respect that. Please ignore if it bothers you. I've made my point, so I'm content.
      It was late.

Comment

Of course I'm arguing semantics, and I specified that (not in those precise words) numerous times. Why is it such a big deal that I'm pointing out the improper classification of the hit by certain posters? I agree, it doesn't change the outcome of the call, but I did think it was interesting enough to mention. You clearly don't think it was interesting or useful discussion. I respect that. Please ignore if it bothers you. I've made my point, so I'm content.
        Ha....fair enough. Stupid hockey banter at it's best. It's all good.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          It was late.
          According to the rules, it wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
            Ha....fair enough. Stupid hockey banter at it's best. It's all good.
            No worries. Sorry to make a big deal about nothing. Not my intention when first mentioning it

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              It was late.
              You just had to go there.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

He started his progress to make the check long before he got rid of the puck, and a ways away from Zucker. Which is a textbook definition of a charge.
                So by your definition, if I am Bobby Orr with the puck in my own end and Bill Gatsby lines him up from the other end of the ice and flattens him at the red line, even though several strides before hand Orr sent Bucyk away, in your mind this is legal and within the rules as it is finishing a check? please.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It was late.
                  That's what I said.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    So by your definition, if I am Bobby Orr with the puck in my own end and Bill Gatsby lines him up from the other end of the ice and flattens him at the red line, even though several strides before hand Orr sent Bucyk away, in your mind this is legal and within the rules as it is finishing a check? please.
                    Sounds like a charge, so no, it wouldn't be a legal check. You can't take three or more strides before hitting a player. Just like Rau's check wasn't legal, because it was a charge and contact to the head.

In your example, if Bill Gatsby took only two strides and hit Bobby Orr a few seconds AFTER he passed the puck, and it wasn't a check from behind or contact to the head, it would be a legal check.

By the rules, not by my definition.
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                      You just had to go there.
                      Aw, you know me...

I guess I'm just missing Dubber. Where'd he go?

Comment

By the rules, not by my definition.
                        Please cite a rule book that uses the word "Few", preferably a college hockey rule book? If I see the word 'Few' in any rule book I am officiating I would automatically throw it away.
                        Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

Aw, you know me...

I guess I'm just missing Dubber. Where'd he go?
                          Good question, timeout in the penalty box possibly?
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pgrass01 View Post
                            Please cite a rule book that uses the word "Few", preferably a college hockey rule book? If I see the word 'Few' in any rule book I am officiating I would automatically throw it away.
                            According to the rule books that I looked in, USA Hockey and NCAA Hockey, I couldn't find a definitive amount of time.

Nowhere did I see the word "two" or "few."

It would be nice if someone would post the rule where it says that you can finish your check a few seconds (or even two seconds) after the puck is gone.

Comment

According to the rule books that I looked in, USA Hockey and NCAA Hockey, I couldn't find a definitive amount of time.

Nowhere did I see the word "two" or "few."

It would be nice if someone would post the rule where it says that you can finish your check a few seconds (or even two seconds) after the puck is gone.
                              I'd like to see that as well. I do find it funny that he's arguing this though. Charging to me is a much worse offense than interference. He seems to want to mitigate what Rau did by saying it wasn't interference? Seems silly to me.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

... and hit Bobby Orr a few seconds AFTER he passed the puck, and it wasn't a check from behind or contact to the head, it would be a legal check...
                                What do you mean by "a few seconds?" Literally a few seconds? If he can't avoid the hit in a few seconds, he's seriously out-of-control. If you mean something more like instantaneously--like he was starting the check when Orr possessed the puck--then Orr passed the puck, and Gatsby's momentum made the hit unavoidable, then I'd say you're right.

Rulebook states that if it's avoidable after the puck is gone, then it's not a check. It's a penalty.

Comment

Working...
                                X