Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    This is hockey, not ballet. No excuse for HOW Rau hit Zucker, but to say that you shouldn't use physical play to turn the momentum of a game is ridiculous.
    Where did I say you can't hit him?
    I said you don't hit him the mouth, meaning a cheapshot to the head.
    You don't need to be a ***** and hit him like that.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: Suspend Kyle Rau for as long as Jason Zucker is unable to play!

“@BruceCiskie: Interesting perspective today from someone I know and trust on the issue of suspensions in college hockey.”

“@BruceCiskie: This person wouldn't have had a major issue with both JT Brown and Ben Blood being suspended for the HFB penalties they committed Fri/Sat.”

“@BruceCiskie: Now, the line between a misconduct and a DQ for HFB penalties is not firmly drawn. It's rarely called, instead left to supp. discipline.”

“@BruceCiskie: The problem with supplemental discipline, especially in the WCHA but probably also elsewhere, is it's quite arbitrary.”

“@BruceCiskie: The problem is that hockey -- college and pro -- continues to suspend to the injury, and not the intent or impact of an illegal hit.”

“@BruceCiskie: The problem with that philosophy is obvious. I don't think I have to explain it.”

“@BruceCiskie: The other problem with officiating/suspending based on injuries is concussions often pop up days after the hit that caused them.”

“@BruceCiskie: So, theoretically, the WCHA could declare a player good to go after an illegal hit, then learn the guy he took out is concussed. Then what?”
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Where did I say you can't hit him?
        I said you don't hit him the mouth, meaning a cheapshot to the head.
        You don't need to be a ***** and hit him like that.
        Knowing Rau for quite a while, I do not believe he hit Zucker with an intent to injure. It was a charge, and he got his hands up high and certainly hit him in the head. Definately warranted the major penalty and ejection. But I don't believe for a second he was trying to take Zucker out intentionally. Hopefully this will be a lesson to a young kid to keep his hands down and not to charge when initiating contact, because you're right, there is no room for that in hockey.

But to answer your question, you said the response should have been to score or not let them score. True, but my point was/is that I find it perfectly acceptable to increase the physical play (within the rules of the game) as a response as well.

Comment

One other note. It was NOT a late hit. You are allowed to finish your check, and that includes up to what I believe in the NCAA is up to a few seconds after the puck is gone. Watch the replay, Rau hits him only a few seconds after Zucker gets rid of the puck. I checked with the head of officiating for MNHS hockey and he said they wouldn't have considered it late in their games either.

Problem is, as I have mentioned before, it was CLEARLY a charge and a hit to the head. In addition to contact to the head and checks from behind, I think all charges should warrant major penalties as well, if not game ejections in addition. At least ones as agregious as Rau's.

Comment

Knowing Rau for quite a while, I do not believe he hit Zucker with an intent to injure. It was a charge, and he got his hands up high and certainly hit him in the head. Definately warranted the major penalty and ejection. But I don't believe for a second he was trying to take Zucker out intentionally. Hopefully this will be a lesson to a young kid to keep his hands down and not to charge when initiating contact, because you're right, there is no room for that in hockey.

But to answer your question, you said the response should have been to score or not let them score. True, but my point was/is that I find it perfectly acceptable to increase the physical play (within the rules of the game) as a response as well.
            I don't care whether you feel he intended to hit him the head or not.
            He did hit him the head, that's what counts and he deserved to be suspended for it.
            Nowhere did I say you can't be physical, and if you think being physical is going to shut up guys that trash talk, you are dead wrong.
            I watched Roe talk trash for 4 years and he was blasted several times, he didn't shut up, especially when he knew he was in the other guys head because he knew if they were thinking about him and not the game, they would make mistakes, and he would make them pay.
            You "shut these guys up" by beating their teams, not by beating on them.
            Zucker did nothing wrong, Rau did.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              He did hit him the head, that's what counts and he deserved to be suspended for it.
              If you believe that then I hope you believe that he was unjustly singled out for the punishment. I'm not aware of any other instance this year where a hit to the head has garnered a suspension and there have been plenty of hits to the head.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                I don't care whether you feel he intended to hit him the head or not.
                Nowhere did I say you can't be physical, and if you think being physical is going to shut up guys that trash talk, you are dead wrong.
                I watched Roe talk trash for 4 years and he was blasted several times, he didn't shut up, especially when he knew he was in the other guys head because he knew if they were thinking about him and not the game, they would make mistakes, and he would make them pay.
                You "shut these guys up" by beating their teams, not by beating on them.
                Zucker did nothing wrong, Rau did.
                Of course he deserved to get a major and ejected, but looking at the league's precedence on these hits so far this season, I don't think a suspension is consistent with the way the league was addressing these hits prior to last Friday night, and it certainly wasn't consistent with how it addressed other equally dangerous hits that occurred on the same night. Look at the comments I posted from Duluth's radio man for reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  If you believe that then I hope you believe that he was unjustly singled out for the punishment. I'm not aware of any other instance this year where a hit to the head has garnered a suspension and there have been plenty of hits to the head.
                  Exactly. He was punished for the result of the hit, not for how "dirty" or malicious the hit was. If Zucker pops back up, there is no suspension. The league has all but admitted that.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    Exactly. He was punished for the result of the hit, not for how "dirty" or malicious the hit was. If Zucker pops back up, there is no suspension. The league has all but admitted that.
                    If you're only punished for the result and the punishment is only one game then the rule has no hopes of deterring anything. I guess we have morons running things.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Right. That's why during the game, I wasn't mad about the penalty and game misconduct. With a guy laying on the ice like that, the refs could have made any call they wanted and I don't think either team would have argued. But when I heard about the suspension, it really made me scratch my head.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        Right. That's why during the game, I wasn't mad about the penalty and game misconduct. With a guy laying on the ice like that, the refs could have made any call they wanted and I don't think either team would have argued. But when I heard about the suspension, it really made me scratch my head.
                        There have been a lot of questions asked about the supplemental discipline process following this suspension. It is what it is and I won't argue too much because it was a dangerous hit, but to single out Rau and act like his hit was more malicious or dirty than a dozen or so other dangerous hits this year (as many in this thread have tried to do) is absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Somehow hockey is turning into the NBA. And that's bad for everyone. Fans, players, coaches. Everyone.
                          Please elaborate.
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

One other note. It was NOT a late hit.
                            We all stopped reading after this sentence. You can try to argue intent or whether he contacted the head, but if this hit is not late then there's no such thing as a late hit ever. You can't finish a check that you decided to make 5 seconds ago.

I feel bad for state_of_hockey... Somewhere someone is mistaking your posts for his
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              We all stopped reading after this sentence. You can try to argue intent or whether he contacted the head, but if this hit is not late then there's no such thing as a late hit ever. You can't finish a check that you decided to make 5 seconds ago.

I feel bad for state_of_hockey... Somewhere someone is mistaking your posts for his
                              According to the rules, it wasn't. If you don't like it, I suggest you petition to have the rule changed. But you are allowed to finish your check up to a few seconds after the puck is gone. Watch the replay and tell me the hit occurs beyond a few seconds after the puck is gone and I will agree with you.
                              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                If you're only punished for the result and the punishment is only one game then the rule has no hopes of deterring anything. I guess we have morons running things.
                                I think we've known that for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X