#8 Merrimack / #12 Maine @ #7 UML -- Feb 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #8 Merrimack / #12 Maine @ #7 UML -- Feb 10/11

Well, I think since Lowell fans are talking about colored seats, I think we're a little bored

Opening up for discussion.
    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Re: #8 Merrimack / #12 Maine @ #7 UML -- Feb 10/11

Big game for Maine to keep their hopes for home-ice alive. I think they'll come out with added pep after UML swept the series at the Alfond.

Comment

Nothing against Maine, but man am I excited about the Merrimack River Rivalry being meaningful again. I wasn't around when these two teams used to just hate each other unfortunately, but Friday night should be fun as, I believe, this is the first time these two teams were both ranked in the Top 10 and playing each other.

In general Lowell has been a tough place for visiting teams to come into and take points. Lowell needs to keep that going this weekend against two more ranked teams. The mistakes (read: penalties) need to stop as both Merrimack (20.7%) and Maine (27.7%) are very good on the power play. Merrimack is second in the league in most penalty minutes per game, so Lowell's power play (21.3%) should get some chances as well. On the other side of the ledger, the Maine penalty kill has a pretty paltry 75% success rate (2nd worst in the league) and Merrimack is at 81.1% (6th in the league), with Lowell a little bit higher at 81.9% (4th).

The key obviously for Saturday night is to a) not get in the box and b) do the best you can to shut down that top line for Maine as #1-#3 in HE points are all Black Bears.

Another obvious ... big weekend for Doug Carr is needed.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Nothing against Maine, but man am I excited about the Merrimack River Rivalry being meaningful again. I wasn't around when these two teams used to just hate each other...
        Bring back the "Peter Gunn" music, Craig Mactavish, Dean Jenkins, Ken Kaiser, Brian Doyle and Mark Kumpel for Lowell. I'll get Dean Fraser, the Dunn brothers from Woburn, Rick Curran, and Bob Magnuson for Merrimack. Thom Lawler and Bill Riley behind the respective benches. Bring back the Chiefs logo, and I'll don the Warrior headdress and I'll paint my face. You guys have to cheer "Merrimack stinks, just like the river", and we'll respond with the obligatory "Safety School" or "Low, Lower, Lowest, Lowell". Be ready for the tennis balls. Late '70's early '80's were great games. Sure it was DII, but the stands were packed and the fans were into it, whether it was at Volpe (relatively new at the time), Skate3 or Tully.
        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Passing along info on a tweet by Mike McMahon this morning, the Friday game is actually delayed to a 7:15 start due to other events going on in Lowell, giving people more time to get to the stadium.
          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Passing along info on a tweet by Mike McMahon this morning, the Friday game is actually delayed to a 7:15 start due to other events going on in Lowell, giving people more time to get to the stadium.
            How does 15 minutes make any difference? Fans should just leave for the game 15 minutes earlier!

I hope Lowell expends a lot of emotional energy on Friday so Maine can get on them quick early Sat night, otherwise it could be a difficult game for the Bearz.

I look at the PC/Maine tilt as a "trap game" as Maine could be looking ahead to Sat night.

One game at a time, boys!

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
              How does 15 minutes make any difference? Fans should just leave for the game 15 minutes earlier!
              OK, was just informed it's for both games this weekend. With WinterFest going on in downtown, there will be road closures, and might be some parking issues. Definitely going to try and get there early.
              Monty

Comment

It looks like the human dog sled competition is starting around 6:30. Expect Arcand Dr. to be closed almost all day and the Merrimack St area to be a mess.

For those going to the game and not quite so intimate with Lowell's highways, byways, and dead ends; bring your GPS if you have one. You'd probably prefer not end up in the dark in the Acre because you took a wrong turn. Avoid using the Lowell Connector if you can because it will funnel you into the areas where winterfest is happening.

My recommendations is that anyone coming from the Lawrence/Andover area should probably take Rt. 93 to 110 in Methuen and come in that way from the VFW. Cross the river at Aiken street.

Those from the south should probably use Drum Hill off Rt 3 instead of the connector.

Comment

The 978 Series (or Fight for 495) is absolutely crucial for both teams this year. I believe home ice will basically be on the line. (Though they could certainly end up facing each other in the opening round anyway.)

Comment

Found this link which will give some an appreciation of how fierce this rivalry was:

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...-special/print

Enjoy
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      Found this link which will give some an appreciation of how fierce this rivalry was:

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...-special/print

Enjoy
                      Good read! There's no excuse for either team's fans not to show up and fan the flames, now that they're both top-10.

Comment

Sadly, "Stonehill Rejects" isn't exactly catchy.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Pretty cool that Merrimack can fit their entire student section on a bus. That'll fill 3-4 rows at the Tsongas. Cheer, cheer for strip-mall college!
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            Sadly, "Stonehill Rejects" isn't exactly catchy.
                            Yeah, growning up practically next door to the school, it's hard to come up with a rank on Stonehill. In fact, I forget it's actually there sometimes, which may be the rank. I know, how can you diss the school of one James Gorman, more affectionately known as "Lou", but the point is well-taken

There are a lot of eerie similiarties between them: both Roman Catholic, both abut two state highways, both had two Indian mascots that were replaced because of PC, both are a stone's throw from cities with bad reps, and more importantly, both cost (at least now) a s-load of money to go there.

Back to point, any news on the Merrimack side in regards to injuries this weekend. I know Sheen and Ellis were banged up at last report.
                            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Ellis was not banged up. He missed Friday's game to a DQ that wasn't initially reported as a DQ. Sheen is week to week, Madsen done for year, Gould out indefinitely.

Comment

Working...
                              X