On conference realignment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On conference realignment...

Interesting take on the evolving situation.
    Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: Edited to remove advertisements

Re: On conference realignment...

Pretty accurate. Although I think the new WCHA will be closer to ECAC than it is to Atlantic Hockey... initially at least, but who knows over time.

Comment

I agree that its the NCHC teams fault.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I am always amazed when people throw the recruiting thing out there. With Penn State, there are 18 new scholarships available. Those Big 10 schools already have their pick of the litter anyway. If you think that Northern Michigan or Mankato or Ferris State actually can compete with those schools for recruits, you're crazy. It may raise the profile of UMD and St Cloud some, but not enough to have a drastic effect on the smaller schools. If Minnesota or Michigan can grab a recruit that may have gone elsewhere, it will be a kid that may have gone to Miami or North Dakota, a kid that likely would have never even considered Lake Superior or Alaska.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

As a quibble:

Only eight of the 58 Division I hockey programs also have football programs in the six BCS conferences, and the Big Ten was about to poach more than half – Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Minnesota (Notre Dame, Boston College and Connecticut are the others).
          Technically if you're considering Notre Dame as part of a BCS conference, you can also include Providence since they're also in the Big East as a non-football member.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
            As a quibble:

Technically if you're considering Notre Dame as part of a BCS conference, you can also include Providence since they're also in the Big East as a non-football member.
            Except Providence doesn't have a football team, and the article talked about schools with football teams. And Notre Dame is really it's own BCS conference with the automatic qualify rule.

I'd still like to see the old CCHA schools still play MSU once realignment happens. Most of it will be at Munn most likely. We may never go back to the Soo or NMU, but I could see a home and home with Ferris and possibly BGSU.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Here is the current standings in CCHA:
              Ferris State
              Western Michigan
              Ohio State
              Lake Superior

I don't buy it. The big ten will be good, but there will be winners and losers within the conference, some will get better some will be worse. The NCHA will be another power conference natraully and the new WCHA will be like ECAC, having up years and down years.
              Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
              National Champions 1992, 2001
              21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
              National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
              Future National Champions 201?

Comment

he can call it gamesmanship. I call it stupidity. we all knew the Big Ten was coming some day. why did DU and UND keep their heads in the sand about it. the CCHA and the WCHA could have shuffled a few teams around and had two strong conferences. "like minded" ... simple minded to me!
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  he can call it gamesmanship. I call it stupidity. we all knew the Big Ten was coming some day. why did DU and UND keep their heads in the sand about it. the CCHA and the WCHA could have shuffled a few teams around and had two strong conferences. "like minded" ... simple minded to me!
                  Like the article said jealousy was the reason this happened.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by CHProspective View Post
                    Interesting take on the evolving situation.
                    Yeah, not really very interesting of a read
                    Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM. Reason: Edited to remove deleted content.

Comment

Spath didn't do enough research into the situation. The CCHA was dead. Anastos designed the league to rotate around Michigan and Michigan State. Remove the sun at the center, and watch the planets fly off into space. The rest of the schools didn't help this by tamely going along with this and by and large not doing enough to improve their own programs until the last few years (Miami/ND new arenas, WMU tripling coaching salary, etc.)

Notre Dame wasn't staying in a league with 3 MAC schools and a bunch of DII schools. The only question was North Dakota/Denver or Providence/Boston College for who they'd affiliate with. If the NCHC hadn't formed, Miami would have accepted the invite to the WCHA that was extended to them and Notre Dame already. If Notre Dame goes east, Northern Michigan is #12 for the WCHA leaving the CCHA at 5 teams. Adding Huntsville or Atlantic Hockey teams gets you an autobid, but increases the footprint to an extent with little upside that you're simply waiting for teams to fold and begin CHA 2.0 again. We all saw how well those negotiations worked out anyway.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                      X