Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC West Div III race

Question for people with more time than I have right now:

Plattsburgh, Elmira, and RIT all have four games left with teams other than each other. If all three hold serve in those games (and I know it's a big if - Elmira and RIT play Oswego and Plattsburgh has to travel to Utica), the league standings would come down to the RIT/Elmira showdown next weekend. I've quickly played out the scenarios of that weekend and have come up with the following:

RIT/Elmira split: Elmira finishes first (by tiebreaker of most league wins), Plattsburgh second, RIT third
    RIT/Elmira two ties: Plattsburgh first (by tiebreaker of most league wins), Elmira second, RIT third
    RIT sweep: RIT first, Plattsburgh second, Elmira third
    Elmira sweep: Elmira first, Plattsburgh second, RIT third
    RIT takes 3 points: Plattsburgh first (by head-to-head tiebreaker), RIT second, Elmira third
    Elmira takes 3 points: Elmira first, Plattsburgh second, RIT third

Two observations:

I don't seem to have a scenario where Plattsburgh finishes lower than second....
    Plattsburgh's early season tie with Neumann could be costly...in the case of an RIT/Elmira split, it's the difference between first and second.

This was very quick math, so let me know if I missed something.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Re: ECAC West Div III race

Originally posted by spwood View Post

Plattsburgh, Elmira, and RIT all have four games left with teams other than each other. If all three hold serve in those games (and I know it's a big if - Elmira and RIT play Oswego and Plattsburgh has to travel to Utica), the league standings would come down to the RIT/Elmira showdown next weekend. I've quickly played out the scenarios of that weekend and have come up with the following:

RIT/Elmira split: Elmira finishes first (by tiebreaker of most league wins), Plattsburgh second, RIT third
    RIT/Elmira two ties: Plattsburgh first (by tiebreaker of most league wins), Elmira second, RIT third
    RIT takes 3 points: Plattsburgh first (by head-to-head tiebreaker), RIT second, Elmira third

Two observations:

I don't seem to have a scenario where Plattsburgh finishes lower than second....
    Plattsburgh's early season tie with Neumann could be costly...in the case of an RIT/Elmira split, it's the difference between first and second.

I think you've got it.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Two observations:

Yup lines up with my earlier post in the RIT thread, which indicated, for RIT to not finish third, they would have to get at least three points out of the Elmira series (assuming no other points spoiled)
      All Elmira needs is a split to finish at least top two and get a bye.

RIT and Elmira still have destiny in their own hand, if they want to finish first.
      Despite the fact Plattsburgh has the HTH over both Elmira and RIT, they do NOT control their own destiny for first place.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        Yup lines up with my earlier post in the RIT thread, which indicated, for RIT to not finish third, they would have to get at least three points out of the Elmira series (assuming no other points spoiled)
        All Elmira needs is a split to finish at least top two and get a bye.

RIT and Elmira still have destiny in their own hand, if they want to finish first.
        Despite the fact Plattsburgh has the HTH over both Elmira and RIT, they do NOT control their own destiny for first place.
        Well, Plattsburgh doesn't hold the head-to-head over Elmira as they split 1-1 during the year. In case of a tie, league wins is the #2 tie breaker (which Elmira would win with a split with RIT, but would lose with two ties to RIT).

We as fans are allowed to look ahead like this, but, again, all three teams have other business to take care of to make this analysis useful...
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Well, Plattsburgh doesn't hold the head-to-head over Elmira as they split 1-1 during the year. In case of a tie, league wins is the #2 tie breaker (which Elmira would win with a split with RIT, but would lose with two ties to RIT).

We as fans are allowed to look ahead like this, but, again, all three teams have other business to take care of to make this analysis useful...
          Well, ole' "Platty" sure didn't impress today.....they were tied 1-1 with lolely Cortland going into the 3rd and seemed to barely hang on for the 3-1 win! It looks like Platty's still got work to do before they get ahead of themselves....

Chip

Comment

Hey...whadya know...there are some Platty fans out there!! Good to hear from you...where've you been?? I've been manning the fort alone all season long!

Comment

Congrats to Coach Kevin Houle on his 200th victory yesterday. His .850 winning percentage is impressive for any division!!

http://pressrepublican.com/0300_spor...gets-200th-win

Comment

Originally posted by chippy View Post
                Well, ole' "Platty" sure didn't impress today.....they were tied 1-1 with lolely Cortland going into the 3rd and seemed to barely hang on for the 3-1 win! It looks like Platty's still got work to do before they get ahead of themselves....

Chip
                Yea because when you oushoot someone by 46 shots it was a real close game.....
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Chip
                  Bird got your tongue?
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    Bird got your tongue?
                    Guess that 10-0 second game shut him/her up...!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      Guess that 10-0 second game shut him/her up...!!
                      8-7...???...Nope....

Chip

Comment

8-7...???...Nope....

Chip
                        Haha I was sitting here thinking I wonder if he/she will be a tool and finally respond after last night...thanks for making my day....
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Not to get back on point or anything, but things got real simple after last night's 5-1 win by RIT. This afternoon's RIT/Elmira game means this:

Elmira win - They are in the driver's seat for the ECAC West Regular Season Title
                          RIT win - RIT is in the driver's seat for the #1 seed
                          Tie - Plattsburgh is in the driver's seat for the title...

Crazy! Of course, with the #1 seed comes hosting the ECAC West Final Four as well as only needing to beat one of the Big Three to win the tourney title. Huge game today in Elmira....
                          Last edited by spwood; 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM.
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Looks like Plattsburgh is in first place as they would win the H2H against RIT, or so it shows that as of right now. Will it change next week after RIT finishes up league play
                            GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                              Looks like Plattsburgh is in first place as they would win the H2H against RIT, or so it shows that as of right now. Will it change next week after RIT finishes up league play
                              Yes...Plattsburgh is up 1 point, they have 1 game left...RIT has 2. RIT would have to tie Cortland(highly unlikely) in order for Plattsburgh to win the league.

It appears that it will be 1. RIT 2. Plattsburgh 3. Elmira fortunately for Elmira with the expansion to 8 teams all 3 will make the NCAA's this year. Even if they don't make it the ECAC-W title game. Unless of course they lose in the quarters...then they might be out.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X