All-Americans Watch 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-Americans Watch 2012

As I like to do every season around this time, I like to start putting out my All-Americans watch list.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you there is nothing scientific about any of these predictions...simply my thoughts at who might be in the All-American discussion come the Frozen Four banquet. I will update these every week and move players in and out based on performances etc.

There have been some years where I've pretty much gotten it square on the head and then other years where I have been completely off. Defensemen are always a tough one because you never know how coaches are going to vote and I haven't seen enough of them to really judge defensive skills unless I've seen the player play. So then, we have to rely on points, historical tendencies as to what teams produce AAs and are known for strong defensive teams etc.

Since I haven't seen a single western team play live this year, I will not put out a western team...if anyone would like to take that up, be my guest.

Here is the first installment of the East Region All-Americans watch: (Keep in mind they expanded to three teams last year for the first time)

1st Team:

F. Jeremiah Ketts, Johnson & Wales
    F. Nick Lazorko, Castleton
    F. Pier-Olivier Cotnoir, Norwich
    D. Mike DeMayo, Trinity
    D. Ryan Barlock, Curry
    G. Ryan Purdy, Williams

2nd Team:

F. Tim Coffman, Utica
    F. Jon Whitelaw, Oswego
    F. Payden Benning, Curry
    D. William Lacasse, Neumann
    D. Jordan Lalor, Bowdoin
    G. Erick Cinotti, Castleton

3rd Team:

F. Travis Janke, Norwich
    F. Kevin Willer, Elmira
    F. Nick Tasiopoulos, Wesleyan
    D. Nick Dupuis, Skidmore
    D. Martin Lee, Elmira
    G. Mathieu Cadieux, Plattsburgh

Have at it armchair quarterbacks
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: All-Americans Watch 2012

Only 2 guys from the SUNYAC?
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Where's Kyle Thomas?
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Since Plattsburgh is the best team I have seen play Norwich I would try and place forward Nick Jensen somewhere on the teams. I would also place Kyle Thomas of Norwich on the first team too. He is the one guy all teams playing Norwich really concentrate on and is playing outstanding hockey this year.

On defense Shawn Baker of Norwich is an outstanding defensive defensemen although he has been injured of late. Just my opinion but I think the level competition should be a big factor when picking All Americans.
        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
          Since Plattsburgh is the best team I have seen play Norwich I would try and place forward Nick Jensen somewhere on the teams. I would also place Kyle Thomas of Norwich on the first team too. He is the one guy all teams playing Norwich really concentrate on and is playing outstanding hockey this year.

On defense Shawn Baker of Norwich is an outstanding defensive defensemen although he has been injured of late. Just my opinion but I think the level competition should be a big factor when picking All Americans.
          The Jensens are great players but I'm not sold the numbers are there right now to justify AA status for them this year.

I was between Kyle and Janke for the third team selection. Kyle's certainly the more dynamic player but Janke's got him in consistency and points currently. Plenty of time to change that of course.

I considered Shawn strongly but not playing lately is going to hurt his chances. Hopefully he can get back in the lineup soon. He'll certainly have a good shot hawk. He's one of the best defensive defenseman I've seen in a while.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
            Only 2 guys from the SUNYAC?
            Yeah I know, pretty light right now. Still time for that to change.

Plattsburgh's issue is they don't have anybody with eye-popping numbers right now. I know they have four lines of good players but they haven't put up the numbers to justify AA yet. Sure some coaches will factor in more than just numbers, as they should. But across the board, it's going to be tough for guys averaging less than a point per game to be an AA.

There are some oddball forwards in the SUNYAC like Bryan Ross, Sy Nutkevitch, James Cody and Ian Finnerty etc that have solid numbers, but their problem is they don't play for historically great teams so they'll have that working against them. Ross probably has the best shot out of that bunch since he's got the most points and Fredonia has had a few AAs in the past. He'll have a good shot at breaking the 40-point barrier by season's end.

Truthfully I don't know enough about many of the SUNYAC defenseman other than what Morrisville and Plattsburgh have this year and the points I see. Any names I should be keeping an eye out for that you would suggest?
            GO LAKERS!!!
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Zack Josepher and Jesse McConney are great defenseman for Oswego, putting up 0.8235 and 0.75 Points per game respectively.

Eric Ware of Potsdam putting up 0.8 points per game, impressive numbers for a Freshman d-man.

If anything I see Mathieu Cadieux being the first team goalie, not the third team

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                Zack Josepher and Jesse McConney are great defenseman for Oswego, putting up 0.8235 and 0.75 Points per game respectively.

Eric Ware of Potsdam putting up 0.8 points per game, impressive numbers for a Freshman d-man.

If anything I see Mathieu Cadieux being the first team goalie, not the third team
                It's a coin flip between those three right now. They are all VERY good goaltenders.

I even left off Amherst's Jonathon La Rose who could be better than all three of them. Between the three I listed and La Rose, the East has some tough decisions to make at goalie this year.

Also, OSU, points aren't everything for dmen...Their defensive capabilities are really what will bring guys to the front. Unfortunately, I haven't seen enough SUNYAC guys to judge based on anything other than points.
                Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-02-2012, 10:59 AM.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  It's a coin flip between those three right now. They are all VERY good goaltenders.

I even left off Amherst's Jonathon La Rose who could be better than all three of them. Between the three I listed and La Rose, the East has some tough decisions to make at goalie this year.

Also, OSU, points aren't everything for dmen...Their defensive capabilities are really what will bring guys to the front. Unfortunatey, I haven't seen enough SUNYAC guys to judge based on anything for than points.
                  True Points aren't everything for a D-man, but part of their jobs when the puck is in the offensive zone is to help the forwards score, though not their main role, its very important. There really isn't much else numbers wise to go on for defensman, except maybe goals allowed per game, which is really the entire team and not just individual defensman.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                    Just my opinion but I think the level competition should be a big factor when picking All Americans.
                    I think picking the best players should be the only factor when picking all americans.

Comment

Willer? at least 2nd team.
                      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

3rd Team:

F. Travis Janke, Norwich
                        F. Kevin Willer, Elmira
                        F. Nick Tasiopoulos, Wesleyan
                        D. Nick Dupuis, Skidmore
                        D. Martin Lee, Elmira
                        G. Mathieu Cadieux, Plattsburgh

Have at it armchair quarterbacks
                        Granted, I have only seen teams that have played Norwich, but I can't imagine there is a better D-man than Elmira's Martin Lee out there. Actually, at least in the games I've seen him play, I think he's the best all-around player I've seen this season. I know he doesn't have the huge numbers that first-teamers usually have, but he's so solid. Great feet. Great positioning without the puck. Great stick. Unreal first pass and vision.

note: I have watched him four times because of Elmira's participation in holiday tourneys.
                        Last edited by AldenPartridge1819; 02-02-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Everyone else is free to post their own predictions as well
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Everyone else is free to post their own predictions as well
                            Are western All American predictions allowed in this thread ?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                              Are western All American predictions allowed in this thread ?
                              Yes. Read the first post.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X