Recruiting Promises - Kept and Not Kept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting Promises - Kept and Not Kept

What is everyone’s experience with recruiting promises being kept? Is this different for D1 versus D3? What recourse is there if a promise is made in the recruiting process that is not kept? Obviously if it is in an offer letter, that is the best. What if the coach wants to keep it verbal and doesn’t follow through?

Re: Recruiting Promises - Kept and Not Kept

Originally posted by hockeydad94 View Post
    What is everyone’s experience with recruiting promises being kept? Is this different for D1 versus D3? What recourse is there if a promise is made in the recruiting process that is not kept? Obviously if it is in an offer letter, that is the best. What if the coach wants to keep it verbal and doesn’t follow through?
    As with most everything, get it in writing. As pertains to hockey, or NCAA, actually, It is spelled out by the NCAA
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I feel like the DI recruiting process has changed a lot over the last few years so my feedback may no longer apply, however regarding some of the verbal promises made, here are my two cents....One cent for each division....

In Div I I don't know if I have seen a lot of empty promises, or foreseeably out-right lies, but there is a situation that was common enough at one time that has probably left players feeling like they were deceived. When a coach keeps in contact with a player, expressing their interest in the player, their plans for the player blah blah blah, but does not seem to bring up the topic of sending out the offer letter, or getting something in writing, then the player may be a "bubble player"; essentially a back up recruit. This is a rough situation, because there will be a lot of leading-on, but it is kind of unavoidable; and all you can do as a parent or recruit is try to ask the direct question when it seems like all you've done is talk, and no mention of something formal has come up. If you want an offer letter, ask for one, and most coaches will tell you honestly if they can't offer it until they know that spot is open - (or some may tell you to take your ACTs or SATs again or something like that just to buy time...that's a good one too...) I hope this isn't that common, especially now that the recruiting happens when kids are so freaking young these days, but definitely something I've seen before...and there is no retroactive measure that can be taken once its all said and done...

DIV III/ACHA.....To be honest I feel like I have heard a lot of scary things from DIV III and ACHA recruiters here in Canada. Some of this is on the players/parents needing to do more research, but I have heard of some Div III coaches promising some unreasonable things to young players I have coached - regarding the level of the hockey, the plans to join Div I in the next year, scholarship dollars available, size of school/quality of education....etc. I know Canadian girls that have decided to go to a Div III school 20 some hours from home and they love it, so don't get me wrong here..... but there is some pretty sleazy selling going on, by hopefully only a few select coaches. And those verbal promises - of being better than most Div I teams, of joining Div I next year, of the availability of specific majors - those verbal promises can be broken, and there is nothing that can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        As with most everything, get it in writing. As pertains to hockey, or NCAA, actually, It is spelled out by the NCAA

Unfortunately the NOI first comes in Nov of the senior year and the coaches can't really give you anything in writing before then anyways -- am I wrong? I can't say I have heard of coaches changing verbal promises. I mean maybe one would have emails with amounts listed but I think coaches would be careful with that.

Comment

To be quite honest, I think ever coach out there blows smoke up these young player's butts, they tell them and their parents what ever they need to in order to get them to commit; sometimes it is complete lies and other times it is a stretch of the truth. I am not quite sure how anybody can take satisfaction manipulating a young person and playing with their dreams of playing at the collegiate level. It would be a far better thing if coaches were up front and tell the truth from the beginning…don't build a kid's hopes up about what their college experience is going to be and then once a coach hooks the kid, the dream can be crushed. I think the parents and kids should record the recruiting conversations as proof of the deceit that begins with the hand shake. This practice goes on in every sport at the collegiate level. I know it has happened to lots of hockey players, male and female, I for one, thinks it is terrible to play on the dreams of young people
          GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
            To be quite honest, I think ever coach out there blows smoke up these young player's butts, they tell them and their parents what ever they need to in order to get them to commit; sometimes it is complete lies and other times it is a stretch of the truth. I am not quite sure how anybody can take satisfaction manipulating a young person and playing with their dreams of playing at the collegiate level. It would be a far better thing if coaches were up front and tell the truth from the beginning…don't build a kid's hopes up about what their college experience is going to be and then once a coach hooks the kid, the dream can be crushed. I think the parents and kids should record the recruiting conversations as proof of the deceit that begins with the hand shake. This practice goes on in every sport at the collegiate level. I know it has happened to lots of hockey players, male and female, I for one, thinks it is terrible to play on the dreams of young people
            Every coach?

I've heard a large enough number of tales of woe from parents to know the things you say do happen. I've heard the opposite at least as many times with very positive accounts of the process, also from parents. I've heard the flip side a few times, when a generous, honest and sincere offer is on the table...and no timely response is received by staff...with a pretty generous response time allowance too, then the offer may expire.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              Every coach?

I've heard a large enough number of tales of woe from parents to know the things you say do happen. I've heard the opposite at least as many times with very positive accounts of the process, also from parents. I've heard the flip side a few times, when a generous, honest and sincere offer is on the table...and no timely response is received by staff...with a pretty generous response time allowance too, then the offer may expire.
              I agree. I would not say it is every coach, but I've also heard of a good number of instances where it has happened. Some programs seem to be developing a bit of a reputation for doing this or at the very least, are good at giving that impression.

Comment

Whatever transpires between a coach and a recruit, we can only speculate on what was said, what was promised, and will the coach keep that promise. I think recruits will be best served if they remember the two absolutes. One, Divison I coaches never want to get the reputation of pulling an NLI in year 2, 3, or 4. As a result, if you are lucky enough to get money, and if you honor your commitment to the team, you are likely to have it for 4 years. The coach can take your playing time but as a practical matter can't (or won't) take your money. With that said, you should assume that if a coach thinks he/she has a better chance of winning with someone other than you on the ice, he'll yank your PT in a NY minute.

The second absolute seems to be that at the Division III level, there is nothing a coach can offer you that he can't take away from you. If you are planning to play DIII, you must either know that you are good enough to withstand three years of new recruits coming in, or you must assume that your position is at risk every year.

One of my pet peeves over the years has been with girls who are given roster spots at DI but are not given money. The first year they don't dress. Then the next year they dress and don't play. The player and/or the parents complain about being deceived by the coach. In such a situation I think the player and parents deceived themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                  Whatever transpires between a coach and a recruit, we can only speculate on what was said, what was promised, and will the coach keep that promise. I think recruits will be best served if they remember the two absolutes. One, Divison I coaches never want to get the reputation of pulling an NLI in year 2, 3, or 4. As a result, if you are lucky enough to get money, and if you honor your commitment to the team, you are likely to have it for 4 years. The coach can take your playing time but as a practical matter can't (or won't) take your money. With that said, you should assume that if a coach thinks he/she has a better chance of winning with someone other than you on the ice, he'll yank your PT in a NY minute.

The second absolute seems to be that at the Division III level, there is nothing a coach can offer you that he can't take away from you. If you are planning to play DIII, you must either know that you are good enough to withstand three years of new recruits coming in, or you must assume that your position is at risk every year.

One of my pet peeves over the years has been with girls who are given roster spots at DI but are not given money. The first year they don't dress. Then the next year they dress and don't play. The player and/or the parents complain about being deceived by the coach. In such a situation I think the player and parents deceived themselves.
                  I think a player would have to be pretty silly to join a D1 team without any money. Regardless, in a case like this, a player might be encouraged by a coach that ice time would come later. Why else would they stay? I see your point though, the team has to look out for themselves.

Comment

Divison I coaches never want to get the reputation of pulling an NLI in year 2, 3, or 4. As a result, if you are lucky enough to get money, and if you honor your commitment to the team, you are likely to have it for 4 years.

LOL...that's what we kinda thought. Unfortunately, we were one of those families where the coach said what needed to be said for my daughter to commit for the 1st year. When we questioned the likelihood of her returning for 2nd, 3rd, 4th year, we were told it would depend on how she did off the ice as well as on the ice. Well, AD honor roll student both semesters, in the top 10 for scoring on her team, 90 +% faceoff wins, etc. and no invitation back, with or without money. Did the coach lie? Well, he definitely wasn't honest...so for those of you considering SU...get EVERYTHING in writing, that is if you can actually get a response from the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MAOFDJJD View Post
                      Divison I coaches never want to get the reputation of pulling an NLI in year 2, 3, or 4. As a result, if you are lucky enough to get money, and if you honor your commitment to the team, you are likely to have it for 4 years.

LOL...that's what we kinda thought. Unfortunately, we were one of those families where the coach said what needed to be said for my daughter to commit for the 1st year. When we questioned the likelihood of her returning for 2nd, 3rd, 4th year, we were told it would depend on how she did off the ice as well as on the ice. Well, AD honor roll student both semesters, in the top 10 for scoring on her team, 90 +% faceoff wins, etc. and no invitation back, with or without money. Did the coach lie? Well, he definitely wasn't honest...so for those of you considering SU...get EVERYTHING in writing, that is if you can actually get a response from the coach.
                      I remember you last season. Looks like things down there aren't much better. Just curious, can you go into more detail about the top ten in scoring part? A centre correct?

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                        I remember you last season. Looks like things down there aren't much better. Just curious, can you go into more detail about the top ten in scoring part? A centre correct?

For the most part, although she played winger too.

Comment

For the most part, although she played winger too.
                          And the numbers? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                            And the numbers? Just curious.
                            I'd have to go back & look up her stats as it has been a few years....or you can. Look up who was on the original orange team & who wasn't invited back and who had the stats....not that hard to figure out who my daughter is.

Comment

I'd have to go back & look up her stats as it has been a few years....or you can. Look up who was on the original orange team & who wasn't invited back and who had the stats....not that hard to figure out who my daughter is.
                              Well then, obviously they ran your kid out of town for obvious reasons. Just kidding. Not meaning to be harsh, as it's a terrible thing for a coach and school to do. The last couple of seasons I have noticed an extraordinary number of commitments that just didn't fit with the team they had at the time. That was a red flag for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X