Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruiting Promises - Kept and Not Kept

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
    I think a player would have to be pretty silly to join a D1 team without any money.
    Note: No team scholarships at Ivy's.

Comment

Originally posted by ref11 View Post
      Note: No team scholarships at Ivy's.
      Only a crappy ref would call that! I'm aware. Lots of parent money though, and plenty of assistance. They usually get what they pay for, academically speaking I hope.

Comment

i'm not naive enough to think that these things don't happen...i know they do...but we also have to acknowledge that it cuts both ways. have coaches at times stretched the truth (at best) or outright lied (at worst) to get kids in the door? absolutely. have there been cases where scholarships were pulled or reduced because the coach made a poor eval? without question.

but have there been players who have left coaches high and dry by jumping ship at the last second without keeping the staff in the loop? have there been players who as a result of lack of ice time had a drastic change in their attitude and work ethic that might have led to reduced aid? have there been situations where players and/or their parents have not been able to accurately self-evaluate and hear only what they want to hear because of their heightened sense of their own greatness? you bet.

the bottom line is there are snake-oil salesmen on all sides. i'm not justifying any behaviors by any coaches...but i'd say that more often than not, the real truth about what happened in these sorts of situation lies somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
          Only a crappy ref would call that! I'm aware. Lots of parent money though, and plenty of assistance. They usually get what they pay for, academically speaking I hope.
          Yup - I'll give myself a misconduct and then file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for the tuition bills

Comment

Please never choose a school on promises alone. Find a school you love and hope the hockey comes together. Are promises made and not kept? Absolutely!! My daughter chose school first and she is very happy, playing and doesn't pay anything. She has friends that were rated higher. Chose hockey first and are not having fun right now because of false promises. I've heard statements like he convinced me to come here and I would be a top six forward and another. I was promised I would be on the 1st line and play PP as a freshmen. One is on the forth line and another sits some games watching from the stands. Both very highly recruited players. Both chose schools where they didn't receive full rides. Both had many full ride offers. I'm sure there are many stories like this.

Yes! Coaches do not keep promises and life is tough sometimes. Ask yourself would I rather go to a school I love pay nothing and have an opportunity to play hockey and play a lot. Or do I want to go to a top hockey program and even though I'm a star now. Might not play (believe it! might not play a regular shift) and have to pay some $$ for school??
            Last edited by WCHFan; 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

While I have you player parents here in one spot...why do you think it is that women players do not seem to realize the need for their team to have "role players"? As has been pointed out, a players spot on a team is not protected yet how many of us men have been on teams where we had our Captain playing 3rd or 4th line, or maybe just PP or PK because that was "their role"? It just seems that women don't see the same aspect to the team.....

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                While I have you player parents here in one spot...why do you think it is that women players do not seem to realize the need for their team to have "role players"? ... It just seems that women don't see the same aspect to the team.....
                I don't think that you can generalize to that degree. I've spoken to many players over the years that understood roles well, whether the individual's role was to score and the pressures that come with that, a third-line defense-first assignment, or farther down the line chart where she may not always get to dress. The player may not always relish the particular role that she is filling, but they do understand that each member has a role and that it is part of sacrificing for the team.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I don't think that you can generalize to that degree. I've spoken to many players over the years that understood roles well, whether the individual's role was to score and the pressures that come with that, a third-line defense-first assignment, or farther down the line chart where she may not always get to dress. The player may not always relish the particular role that she is filling, but they do understand that each member has a role and that it is part of sacrificing for the team.
                  Agreed, that you cannot generalize. Like with any 18-22 age group, male or female, hockey or other team sport, some get it at that age and for others it has not yet clicked in.

What is great about any team sport at the varsity level, is the fact that the players get the opportunity to learn to be team players. While that may not always come easy or go over well for players that have been club team stars all their life, it is a great learning lesson for real life.

Our oldest, who has graduated, did not always understand this when she was still playing, but she gets it now, a few years later.
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

As far a promises met goes....As someone said earlier, it is a two way street.

Always found that it is best to be honest with recruiters. They do talk to each other. If you are willing to place a school in your top three and make that verbal commitment to them, they will be able to make likewise commitment, if they are interested. Just be carefull, to only list three schools as your top three and not ten.

Remember that early in the game, all schools are after the same Top 50 players for their 1-2 recruits. If you are not part of that list, you may have to be patient, until those blue chippers start landing.

Comment

Lets say you are at a school and the situation is not too good. None of the recruiting promises were kept and the prospect for things working out in the future are not too good. Do players that transfer find a better place? They presumably have learned from the first try. Or is it like going from the frying pan to the fire?
                      Last edited by hockeydad94; 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

While I have you player parents here in one spot...why do you think it is that women players do not seem to realize the need for their team to have "role players"? As has been pointed out, a players spot on a team is not protected yet how many of us men have been on teams where we had our Captain playing 3rd or 4th line, or maybe just PP or PK because that was "their role"? It just seems that women don't see the same aspect to the team.....
                        As a female hockey fan it pains me to do so, but I agree with you on this Zoofer...From my experience in both men's and women's hockey, I will say that I beleive women may have more difficulty embracing the lower profile roles. I don't mean to generalize, just simply summarizing my expierience...and I am not one hundred percent sure why it is this way....but I do have a couple theories..

First - the difference in guys relationships with each other compared to girls relationships with each other might be a factor. Guys are typically more upfront and abrupt with each other - its not as easy to get away with pouting or any self pity when people will tell you to your face what they think about it. Girls are a little more sensitive and we would rather bring up the topic when you can't hear us We are more likely to coddle the sad player, and less likely to say something like - you knew what you were getting into when you decided to play DI. That seems a bit harsh, but I think it holds some truth....

Second - maybe because of having hitting in mens, and having more skilled players from top to bottom on most rosters - there are more roles to be had. And more people can have different ways of contributing. In women's you seem to have your top six forwards (or less), top 4 D and then everyone else. You don't have your tough guys - and your PK players will often be similar to your PP players/top five-ish. Maybe it is easier to embrace a role when you aren't sharing that role with half the team....when it is more of a niche...

Or maybe the game still needs to develop quite a bit at the high school levels so all players that make Div I rosters aren't so used to being stars, and have actually experienced bench time before in their lives

Comment

All good points, but this is, I believe, BINGO.

Originally posted by gopher2008 View Post
                          Or maybe the game still needs to develop quite a bit at the high school levels so all players that make Div I rosters aren't so used to being stars, and have actually experienced bench time before in their lives

There are currently a good many programs whose first line and maybe a player or two on the second, log most of the ice time between regular shifts and special teams. The players that aren't as capable often spend a lot of time on the bench and their playing time is largely dependent on the top player's success. The "Stars" are used to playing all the roles. At once.

As the pool of D1- D3 capable players expands, there will be more role playing at the HS level and even though the top players may not have ever had to play a smaller role, they will be much more aware that there are different roles, and different ways of contributing to on ice success.

Of course every player dreams of being the best, but the shift has to be from expecting to be the best, to wanting, and trying to be the best, but understanding that they may be the best fit for a particular role within the team, not the best player on the ice.
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by gopher2008 View Post
                            A key difference these days is that almost all male players go D1 AFTER having played a year or two at the Junior A level, which these days is EXTREMELY competitive. That in itself is a big step up for most, but it's an interim step. At that point many of these young men will come to realize that perhaps they're not quite the star that they were at the previous level.

Most D1 girls, on the other hand, go from their club, prep or high school (where they were the star or one of just a couple of very key players) directly to D1, and I believe this can require more of an adjustment in terms of accepting what's often a very different role than what they were accustomed to playing.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I have no problem with a role player. Actually I consider my daughter to be a role player. regular shifts kills penalties but no PP time. The problem is coaches for the top teams recruit the scorers make them promises and then once there at the school tell them they will be a forth line player or might not dress for games. The girls I mentioned are forwards who scored 40+ goals a season in high school and expect to be a stars in college. I just think it's a coaches responsibility to tell girls I see you as this type of player but of course you need to produce. If you don't come in ready you might have to fight for playing time. At the very least make the comment.

What happens is the last part is being left out because coaches want top players for they 3rd an 4th lines. Who wouldn't. 18 year old girls entering adult ages should be leveled with and I just feel they aren't. If a coach gives a player a full ride then I don't feel it matters. But if a coach is making a player pay 5,6 $10,000 after being told they will play a ton and be a top six player. I feel is wrong. Coaches will say I made a mistake. I know these girls i mentioned would be top line forwards on most D1 teams. That being said my daughter says they should suck it up!
                              Last edited by WCHFan; 02-02-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I want to add that as a parent of a player. I don't mind how much she plays. Just happy she's enjoying her college experience with her second family. If she didn't dress for games I'd get to talk to her more. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

The women's game is great. Refs let them play it's not about you...

Comment

Working...
                                X