No announcement yet.

This may be done at the expense of leaving out some championship-caliber teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be done at the expense of leaving out some championship-caliber teams

The higher seed will wear light-colored uniforms.

Read all about it here.

DIVISION III PHILOSOPHY
    The Division III championships philosophy is to field the most competitive teams possible while minimizing missed class
    time; to emphasize regional competition in regular-season scheduling; and to provide representation in NCAA championship
    competition by allocating berths to eligible conferences, independent institutions and a limited number of at-large teams,
    realizing that this may be done at the expense of leaving out some championship-caliber teams.
    Pucks - For preliminary rounds, the NCAA will provide the practice and game pucks. One hundred (100) practice pucks and fifty (50)
    game pucks will be shipped to each host institution. The NCAA will also provide pucks for the semifinals and final.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Re: This may be done at the expense of leaving out some championship-caliber teams

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    The higher seed will wear light-colored uniforms.

Read all about it here.
    Nothing new here. Ever since the NCAA went to the current Division III playoff selection in all sports, providing every eligible conference with an automatic bid, they acknowledged this is being done at the expense of leaving out some championship caliber teams.

Back in my senior year, Potsdam basketball had a relatively (for them) poor season, coming after a national championship year with just two losses, both of which were by one point. They did not win the SUNYAC regular season nor tournament championship. They lost nine games.

Yet, they still got an at-large bid, and rode that all the way to the national championship final before losing to Wabash. They were still a very good team, but just had trouble gelling after losing so many senior starters from the previous year.

Nowadays, that team would never have made the NCAA playoffs, a classic example of leaving out a championship caliber team.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: This may be done at the expense of leaving out some championship-caliber teams

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Nothing new here. Ever since the NCAA went to the current Division III playoff selection in all sports, providing every eligible conference with an automatic bid, they acknowledged this is being done at the expense of leaving out some championship caliber teams.

Back in my senior year, Potsdam basketball had a relatively (for them) poor season, coming after a national championship year with just two losses, both of which were by one point. They did not win the SUNYAC regular season nor tournament championship. They lost nine games.

Yet, they still got an at-large bid, and rode that all the way to the national championship final before losing to Wabash. They were still a very good team, but just had trouble gelling after losing so many senior starters from the previous year.

Nowadays, that team would never have made the NCAA playoffs, a classic example of leaving out a championship caliber team.
      I guess I missed it being officially stated in "black and white". Everything else (and possibly this too) appears to be essentually a "cut & paste", though I do like the DI/DIII/Men & Women's all packaged together.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Except for the curious case of the ECAC West, every team has their shot at in hockey - In those leagues which don't put everybody in the playoffs, the teams left out are not championship quality. Basically they reward three teams that didn't win their league tournament with second chance bids (or 2, if the ECAC West gets a team in). I'm okay with that, because the alternative is the ridiculous situation that you have in DI football (I-A or Bowl Subdivision, or whatever they call it this week) where the teams are picked by a popularity contest. (Ignore the computer rankings. Every time they have made a difference, they change the rules so that they won't make a difference next time)
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I'm fine with the Conference champs getting a bid and potentially 2 or 3 at-large bids. Same with college football (D-1, BCS) I believe it is a tough argument to say you deserve to be there when your play in your conference tournament didn't get you there. You had your shot and you came up short while another team moves on... Worried about a bias or getting stiffed by the committee come tournament time? Simple, win your conference...
          Sergei Fedorov, at the conclusion of his final season as a Red Wing.

"I just don't know what to think. I play in Colorado, they tell me they like me, and I get traded. I play in Calgary, and at the end of the season the GM tells me he likes me, and I get traded. I just hope my fiancee doesn't tell me she likes me."

Comment

Working...
          X