Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cornell & Colgate @ RPI & Union (2/3, 2/4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cornell & Colgate @ RPI & Union (2/3, 2/4)

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Hey, why can't we be friends? I'm pulling for RPI this weekend, completely selflessly.
    Having attended both RPI and union for a time-I can find it easy to root for both squads. There is no question that recently the Union program has had more success than the Engineers. But when you compare the programs from a standpoint of overall success over the entire time they have been in existence-you get a little different perspective. Instead of trying to belittle either program-why not just hope we both can beat everyone else out there and only fight it out amongst ourselves whne we play each other? It would certainly be nice if we could see both programs in the NCAA tournament together representing the league as we have seen once before.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Who says we can't be friends? I, too, am pulling for RPI this weekend, completely selflessly. I just want them to win because I'd love to see them get out of last place. They've been there all season and I think this is the weekend they finally exit the cellar.
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I want to see the team play hard the entire game. Win, lose, or tie.
        How hard is it for you to say what you mean, anyway? Do all your thoughts just migrate straight from your brain to the keyboard without any filter in between? or is it just that we are the lucky ones?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Having attended both RPI and union for a time-I can find it easy to root for both squads. There is no question that recently the Union program has had more success than the Engineers. But when you compare the programs from a standpoint of overall success over the entire time they have been in existence-you get a little different perspective. Instead of trying to belittle either program-why not just hope we both can beat everyone else out there and only fight it out amongst ourselves whne we play each other? It would certainly be nice if we could see both programs in the NCAA tournament together representing the league as we have seen once before.
          Does the med school count?
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why should we argue this out? Why don't we just let FS23 be the arbiter?

"Greatest Programs of All Time"......

#17 - Rensselaer 98.7579 points

#51 - Union 1.8730
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Does the ned school count?
              It should-but i took summer courses at Union every year back in the 60's simply because they were less expensive per credit hour than taking them at RPI. I ended up with 36 credits of my BS taken at Union and 92 taken at RPI. I guess that qualifies. And yes spent 4 years at Albany medical School which was part of Union University.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                We haven't beaten you guys without a shutout in 12 years. You mean there's a chance we might actually do it this year?

Sweet.
                The way to beat us this year is to fall behind 3-1 entering the third.

Or just draw penalties. Our kill... oh, it kills all right...
                Last edited by Kepler; 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The way to beat us this year is to fall behind 3-1 entering the third.

Or just draw penalties. Our kill... oh, it kills all right...
                  Or 2-0, that works too.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    Or 2-0, that works too.
                    That only results in a tie.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                      You know what is impressive though? We're in first place (and you're in last place).
                      Which, I must say, makes the fact that Brown swept you all the more hilarious.

Also, apparently Cleary Cups (which basically no one cares about) are more important than national championships? Brilliant hypothesis. Goes well with the league's only Cleary Cup banner and only NCAA Tournament appearance banner that leads one to believe they represent fictitious national titles.

The little brother syndrome knows no bounds.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I really want to cheer for Union when they arent playing RPI but its something about the fanbase that makes me not able to do it....yeah I know the same can be said about us RPI fans.
                        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                          I really want to cheer for Union when they arent playing RPI but its something about the fanbase that makes me not able to do it....yeah I know the same can be said about us RPI fans.
                          So...what is it about the fan base?
                          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                            So...what is it about the fan base?
                            I should have stated "the newer Union fanbase" The ones who just came out of the woodwork since the Dutchmen have became good. The ones who couldnt tell you any history of Union outside of the last 2 or 3 years. Older Union fans, the ones who suffered with the team during its tough years, are cool with me, actually enjoyed watching the RPI-Union game in Lake Placid with a couple older Union fans. Didnt enjoy the hockey being played on the ice, but was able to joke around with them and not be told I or my team sucks.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Not to worry - this is not yesterday's lock-down stingy D Cornell team. We're finding ways to give up buckets of goals this year, particularly in the 3rd period. Keep it close through 2 and you'll have a pretty good shot at a W.
                              Um...yeah.

As someone else posted on eLynah, Cornell under Schafer when leading after two periods:

Before this season: 140-7-9
                              This season: 8-3-2

Ugh.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                Which, I must say, makes the fact that Brown swept you all the more hilarious.

Also, apparently Cleary Cups (which basically no one cares about) are more important than national championships? Brilliant hypothesis. Goes well with the league's only Cleary Cup banner and only NCAA Tournament appearance banner that leads one to believe they represent fictitious national titles.

The little brother syndrome knows no bounds.
                                When you say "little brother syndrome," you are talking about yourself, right? Seems like any time someone posts something positive about Union, you feel the need to jump in and comment on how we don't sell out or how our rink needs an upgrade. It's pretty funny, actually.

As for the "older Union fans" comment, I can't really argue with that one. I started following Union hockey when I arrived at Union as a freshman in 2006. Since that time, it has been complete domination of our "little brother" neighbors. I can't exactly share the pain of the many years before that with the "40%" comment, but I can share the pain of having teams I root for not win it all (Knicks, Mets, Jets) in my lifetime.

I bring up the Cleary Cup because it happened last year. Any time I make a comment about how Union has been a good team recently, some RPI fan jumps in and says, "But wait, we won it all nearly 3 decades ago!"
                                Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 02-04-2012, 02:06 PM.
                                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                                X