X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season Thread: PART II

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    Haar is currently a freshman at western Michigan. Decommitted from NU when gaudreau did
    Gaudreau decomitted once cronin was gone and decided on BC. I'd imagine that other similar situations are for the same reason
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
      Haar is currently a freshman at western Michigan. Decommitted from NU when gaudreau did
      i was wondering where you've been, i had suspected foul play

Comment

Dumoulin did not practice yesterday but should go today

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          i was wondering where you've been, i had suspected foul play
          there'd be no foul called for that!!!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            there'd be no foul called for that!!!
            lol............and i do know , of course, about Priceless Bracketology thread but figured i'd ask you because you can do the calculations in your head and it would save me from sifting thru the thread

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              lol............and i do know , of course, about Priceless Bracketology thread but figured i'd ask you because you can do the calculations in your head and it would save me from sifting thru the thread

Couple of your questions involved every team and the rest of the season. That moves into priceless and his script! My head would ah-splode otherwise!
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Hearing another 97 commitment, anyone know something about this?

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                  Hearing another 97 commitment, anyone know something about this?
                  Colin White from Nobles. Freshman forward 16-28-44 in 29 games.

Comment

Originally posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
                    Colin White from Nobles. Freshman forward 16-28-44 in 29 games.
                    NEPSIHA Tournament program had him listed as a class of 2016, and the Nobles website has him listed as an eighth grader. FWIW he did not look small relative to the other players, and he started the Finals at right wing.

Comment

8th grade? Good Lord. I have to think teams like BC have already inquired about Oliver Wahlstrom who is only 11 from Maine.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        8th grade? Good Lord. I have to think teams like BC have already inquired about Oliver Wahlstrom who is only 11 from Maine.
                        Yeah, I find this trend nearly as obnoxious as the 23-year-old freshmen. How's an 8th grader supposed to know where he wants to go to college?
                        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                        -
                        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

I understand people's frustration with the 8th grader commitment thing but we also need to look at the flipside. Kids are drafted into the CHL at age 15-16 and trying to keep them in the US and hope they play college hockey is huge competition. By getting these kids to commit before they're drafted like Hanifin, Cfitz, and now Colin White as well as Cangelosi, Santini, and Savage before them, hopefully BC can get an upperhand on getting them to stay in the US. Obviously we've seen it not work out with Shea and Kenny Ryan but it does make sense.

We can't look at this like its any other sport because no other sport has this kind of competition for kids at such a young age. Yes its pretty drastic because some players don't end up becoming the player they anticipated they'd become like they thought with Tiefenwerth and its such a huge decision at such young age but its the only edge they have on the CHL.

Another downside is that they miss out on the late bloomers who end up becoming better then the early commits. One of the biggest late bloomers to come along was Kreider, I don't think he committed until his junior year and ended up shooting up the draft charts. But to tell you the truth with BC's history of players leaving early I think there will always be room for players committing later.
                          Last edited by sigx15; 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                            I understand people's frustration with the 8th grader commitment thing but we also need to look at the flipside. Kids are drafted into the CHL at age 15-16 and trying to keep them in the US and hope they play college hockey is huge competition. By getting these kids to commit before they're drafted like Hanifin, Cfitz, and now Colin White as well as Cangelosi, Santini, and Savage before them, hopefully BC can get an upperhand on getting them to stay in the US. Obviously we've seen it not work out with Shea and Kenny Ryan but it does make sense.

We can't look at this like its any other sport because no other sport has this kind of competition for kids at such a young age. Yes its pretty drastic because some players don't end up becoming the player they anticipated they'd become like they thought with Tiefenwerth and its such a huge decision at such young age but its the only edge they have on the CHL.

Another downside is that they miss out on the late bloomers who end up becoming better then the early commits. One of the biggest late bloomers to come along was Kreider, I don't think he committed until his junior year and ended up shooting up the draft charts. But to tell you the truth with BC's history of players leaving early I think there will always be room for players committing later.
                            Probably not the forum to make this point, but I think that the fact that the strong recruiting schools like BC might miss out on late bloomers may be beneficial to the league overall because the schools that schools that aren't such strong recruiting schools might have a better shot at the late bloomers and their good players might not be the high draft choices who leave school early. It's good for Hockey East as a whole to have UMass Lowell, Merrimack, etc. have a decent shot at some of the good players.

Comment

hopefully we got our last stinker out of the way. credit to UMass but i was astounded how many times we were beaten to the puck and how few decent looks we actually had. 6 shots on goal in the first 5 minutes of the game and 12 in the next 55, at Conte no less

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                hopefully we got our last stinker out of the way. credit to UMass but i was astounded how many times we were beaten to the puck and how few decent looks we actually had. 6 shots on goal in the first 5 minutes of the game and 12 in the next 55, at Conte no less
                                Wasn't a stinker for Parker Milner. Vintage John Muse impression, steady quality goaltending stealing a game in the playoffs. Good sign for BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X